Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Warhammer 40k/30k

Custos Umbra

Greetings, everyone. I've failed at finding any such topics on this forum, so... here it is!

I'd like to dedicate this topic for sharing your armies and backstories for them (and characters' if you have any), discussing different tactics and general thoughts on things related to Warhammer!

Hope this idea will not be dissappointing for anyone in here, heh.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Ah! Finally!

A W40k thread...

Well for me personally, I'm more into the PC games than the tabletop as it too expensive for me.

As for favourite races, mine would have to be IG, Inquisition Demonhunters, Space Marines and the Tau Empire.

EDIT: I'm really hyped for DoW 3 (took them long enough...)

Edited by Kozmos
  • Brohoof 2

I'm really hyped for DoW 3 (took them long enough...)

Oh, and who isn't? Judging on what they've shown us so far it promises to be really good!

But people would complain no matter what, right? =)

Ah! Finally!

A W40k thread...

Oh. So I am first to create such thread or something?

Oh. So I am first to create such thread or something?

From what I've seen so far, this is most likely the only current active one.

Also for DoW 3, they've confirmed base building, so I'm already satisfied :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Cult of The Nine. Siege Assault Formation. Horus Heresy: Taghmata Omnissiah - Legion Cybernetica

While the Formation is not numerous, and it doesn't have impressive shooting capabilities, several things make it a terrifying force to fight against.
All units have extreme survivablity and show devastating effectiveness in close quarters, capable of destroying any fortification or vehicle in a blink of an eye.

For the Formation to get into close quarters it is provided a support of Magos-Ordinator and his Thallax Cohort - fast moving unit, ensuring that nothing that can kill Automatons of the Formation will survive or preserve effectiveness long enough to do so.

(Uploaded better photo)

XKXQTUF6050.jpg

From what I've seen so far, this is most likely the only current active one.

Aha! Where's my medal? :D

Also for DoW 3, they've confirmed base building, so I'm already satisfied :)

Base building? Seriously? Finally! I've missed that feature!

Do you think this is true, that there wouldn't be any Chaos armies in the game?

Edited by Custos Umbra

(edited)

Aha! Where's my medal? :D

Do you think this is true, that there wouldn't be any Chaos armies in the game?

Here! *Gives medal*

Sadly no... :(

I believe at a later stage they'll be available as DLC, just like how DoW 2 didn't have them, then they released them in Chaos Rising.

(hopefully)

Edited by Kozmos

(edited)

Here! *Gives medal*

Yay! Thank you all!..*khm* one person! It's been a hard work of my whole li- eeh who am I kidding :P

I believe at a later stage they'll be available as DLC, just like how DoW 2 didn't have them, then they released them in Chaos Rising.

If they'll do that, at least I hope we won't need to wait for it forever like we did with CR :)

Edited by Custos Umbra

(edited)

It's been a long time since I've had any real dealings with any Warhammer games, but over the course of the years I've played Rogue Trader, Warhammer, Adeptus Titanicus, Warhammer 40K, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Space Marine, Titan Legions, Man O' War, Necromunda, Hero Quest, Advanced Hero Quest, Space Crusade, Space Hulk and any others that I may have forgotten about, as well as a few of the computer games.  I'm looking to get Total War: Warhammer, that should by all rights be an amazing game.

I won't bore you further with the list of all the armies/gangs/fleets that I've used, but my favourite has always been the Imperial Guard, for which I have had a decent army in 40K, and a massive army in Space Marine.

sig-4548772.nDRYhCv.png

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I play Imperial Guard - both in Tabletop and the DoW games, as well as the various RPGs. There's just something about throwing almost-helpless soldiers at an objective that I really enjoy.

As for a tale of my exploits in the Emperor's name, we were playing a Relic tabletop mission (capture the single point in the middle) and I threw a full-strength platoon at the entrenched chaos position (they used transports to reach it first.) That's fifty guardsmen in five squads with a platoon command squad (five men) and a heavy weapon squad staying back with a company command squad to offer fire support. Seven men survived to reach the objective, and only three were alive after the enemy finished shooting at them. Their nerve held, despite having lost their sergeant, and the game ended on the earliest possible turn, giving me a victory.

Also for DoW 3, they've confirmed base building, so I'm already satisfied

Oh good, from what (very little) I've seen, it looked exactly like Retribution, so I'm glad they're doing something different. I liked the almost action-RPG style  loot-and-skills of DoW II and Chaos Rising (Retribution not so much), but the original series was good too, so I don't mind what they do as long as they do something new.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

What keeps me attracted to W40k is a popular, and still active mod called Ultimate Apocolypse, for DoW Soulstorm.

The mods adds titans, super relic units and tons of other awesome stuff. It also adds the Chaos Daemons, Tyranids and Inquisition Demonhunters as playable races.

• Brohoof 3

As for a tale of my exploits in the Emperor's name, we were playing a Relic tabletop mission (capture the single point in the middle) and I threw a full-strength platoon at the entrenched chaos position (they used transports to reach it first.) That's fifty guardsmen in five squads with a platoon command squad (five men) and a heavy weapon squad staying back with a company command squad to offer fire support. Seven men survived to reach the objective, and only three were alive after the enemy finished shooting at them. Their nerve held, despite having lost their sergeant, and the game ended on the earliest possible turn, giving me a victory.

Oh-ho-ho. Following "Give me enough guardsmen and I'll shut the Eye of Terror with their bodies" strategy, huh? Well. One more proof that it works, I guess :)

What keeps me attracted to W40k is a popular, and still active mod called Ultimate Apocolypse, for DoW Soulstorm.

The mods adds titans, super relic units and tons of other awesome stuff. It also adds the Chaos Daemons, Tyranids and Inquisition Demonhunters as playable races.

Yeah, that mod is awesome. But the clusterbuck that happens in it is too much for me to handle :D

Do you know any mods that add Mechanicum to the game?

Yeah, that mod is awesome. But the clusterbuck that happens in it is too much for me to handle :D

Do you know any mods that add Mechanicum to the game?

I don't know any off the top of my head sorry, but I'm sure there is one out there

Today I played my first game against Space Marines with their new Psychic Powers. This nonsense is broken as hell -_-

I wasn't ready for a flying Firestorm Redoubt filled with hard-hitting Centurions with Graviton Cannons :_(

I don't know any off the top of my head sorry, but I'm sure there is one out there

Ave Omnissiah! It actually exists! Looks like WIP, but it exists!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-mechanicum/images/main-menu-character-wip#imagebox

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I can honestly say my first exposure to Warhammer 40,000 was Dawn of War, or at least one of its expansion. Despite the fact that the factions are varying degrees of bad, it's pretty interesting. Although, I won't be playing the tabletop game itself. Too expensive.

The Imperium is a combination of every oppressive regime in human history with a religion similar to Catholic Christianity, but compared to the other factions, especially the Orks, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, and the Forces of Chaos, they're practically saints.

Edited by heavens-champion

I am a huge w40k fan. And i must say, the necrons are probelly my favorite race, some may call them boring, but their backstory is alot more then just soulles walking machines.

I mean, just think about it, the c'tan where the reason the eye of terror even exist in the first place.

One of my favourite gaming anecdotes is from when I used to frequent a gaming club in my hometown many years ago.  A friend and I were playing 40K, I was using an Eldar army at this time, and he was using his Space Wolf army, led by Ragnar Blackmane.

Now, I have always despised gimmicky, pre-made characters, they not only encourage a lack of creativity when making your own armies, but they are usually totally broken, and way off the correct power/cost ratio.

Anyway, I digress.  During this game, Ragnar and his entourage had taken their Rhino transport over to my right flank, where I had my Dark Reapers placed, where they disembarked.  Ragnar, being the broken gimmicky piece of trash that he is, was proving to be very hard to kill, so I switched my Dark Reaper's fire onto his Rhino.  Now, Rhinos are not particularly tough, so it was more or less inevitable that it would be destroyed.  For a moment, all the stars came into alignment for me, when rolling for damage, I hit the track, causing the Rhino to veer out of control in a random direction.  So my friend rolls his scatter dice, and the Rhino went straight for the invincible Ragnar Blackmane, who somehow managed to fail his initiative roll, and was crushed to death by his own transport, much to my amusement, and my friend's chagrin.

A couple of days later we had a rematch, but this time playing Space Marine.  My friend was once again using Space Wolves, again led by Ragnar Blackmane, although granted, he was not nearly so intimidating in the Epic scale game.  I was using my trusty Imperial Guard.

During the course of this battle, Ragnar was once again menacing my right flank, this time accompanied by a Reaver Titan.  My Tarantula battery managed to strip the void shields from his Titan, and then proceeded to inflict fatal damage to one of its legs, causing it to fall over.  Once again, my friend rolled his scatter dice, only for the Reaver Titan to fall over right onto... Ragnar Blackmane, who, for the second time that weekend, met a most ignominious end, being squished by one of his own war machines.

Although, I won't be playing the tabletop game itself. Too expensive.

Tabletop simulator does a pretty good job of simulating it, and the rule / race books are available online at... I won't say a 'good' price, but better than the hard copies. I also suspect that before too long 3D printing will make it much cheaper - whilst making a 3D printout of the actual GW models is illegal, just using models of the same scale would be sufficient for a game (playing guard, one could use practically any close-future sci-fi infantry that take your fancy) and is perfectly legal, even if tournaments and GW shops won't allow it.

I mean, just think about it, the c'tan where the reason the eye of terror even exist in the first place.

I thought that was just the Eldar being decadent.

However, I do recall hints that the Void Dragon on Mars is the source (whether directly or indirectly is not clear) of much of the Mechanicus' technology, and if this is the case then that would make it the Omnissiah that the tech-priests worship - rather than the Emperor. 

• Brohoof 1

Tabletop simulator does a pretty good job of simulating it, and the rule / race books are available online at... I won't say a 'good' price, but better than the hard copies. I also suspect that before too long 3D printing will make it much cheaper - whilst making a 3D printout of the actual GW models is illegal, just using models of the same scale would be sufficient for a game (playing guard, one could use practically any close-future sci-fi infantry that take your fancy) and is perfectly legal, even if tournaments and GW shops won't allow it.

I thought that was just the Eldar being decadent.

However, I do recall hints that the Void Dragon on Mars is the source (whether directly or indirectly is not clear) of much of the Mechanicus' technology, and if this is the case then that would make it the Omnissiah that the tech-priests worship - rather than the Emperor. 

that makes sense tough, the c'tan where literly ancient, you could literly see them as a god (altough they where far from what you could consider *living entities*. they where pretty much a void of space with incredible powers.

I do recall how the eye of terror was formed, it was during war the between the ancient necrons and the old ones, during their war, a c'tan being did something to hinder the old ones from being able to mass move to diffrent locations (similair to the webway). There was a sort of collision and that collision was something you could compre to the big bang, but that bang messed up that part of space really bad. Turning it into a vast place of space where space and time flows diffrently.

(edited)
I do recall how the eye of terror was formed, it was during war the between the ancient necrons and the old ones, during their war, a c'tan being did something to hinder the old ones from being able to mass move to diffrent locations (similair to the webway). There was a sort of collision and that collision was something you could compre to the big bang, but that bang messed up that part of space really bad. Turning it into a vast place of space where space and time flows diffrently.

I though it was when Slaanesh was born - the hedonism, decadence and excess of their race echoing through the warp and creating a being comprised of solely those emotions. This tore the heart out of the Eldar civilisation, with only those Eldar far enough from the core worlds surviving, knowing that they would be forever hunted by the travesty that they had created. Very gothic. The Dark Eldar also feature in there somewhere - hiding in the webway and somehow using the suffering they inflict to... hide from Slaanesh? I can't remember. 

N.B. Most of the codexs I've read are the older ones, and some stuff has changed since then, Necrons especially.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

Ah the 41st Millenium. 

*drinks Tanna*

For me, Imperial Guard all the way. I see your Iridum armoured anti-gravity railgun tanks... I shall defeat it with a tank... from M1. 942 XD

• Brohoof 3

Ah the 41st Millenium. 

*drinks Tanna*

For me, Imperial Guard all the way. I see your Iridum armoured anti-gravity railgun tanks... I shall defeat it with a tank... from M1. 942 XD

Ahh, the imperial guard, no wonder why the guardsman are always referred to as *Expandable*.

• Brohoof 1

I've been playing a few different (video) games around the 40k universe as of late, though I have only really been into 40k for a few months at best now.

In terms of the tabletop game, I will eventually get into it, slowly putting together an army. 

I'd like to play the table top game more but i'm too poor for that atm so I mostly stick to reading the books and playing the various mods for Dark Crusade and Soulstorm :)

• Brohoof 2