Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Warhammer 40k/30k

Custos Umbra

Yeah. They even retconned a faction called the Squats. Heck, they don't even like talking about the Squats.

In all fairness they didn't exactly retcon them, they just wrote them out of the script and explained it away by saying they were all but wiped out by the Tyrannids.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

In all fairness they didn't retcon them, they just wrote them out of the script and explained it away by saying they were all but wiped out by the Tyrannids.

True. 

If the Imperium is Medieval Europe and Ancient Rome, what does that make the Forces of Chaos?

True. 

If the Imperium is Medieval Europe and Ancient Rome, what does that make the Forces of Chaos?

Chaos is just Chaos, the warp and the four gods all existed in Warhammer Fantasy as well.   It's one of the factions that doesn't necessarily equate directly to a historical (or mythological) counterpart, Unlike the Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev, Norsca, and the Dwarves, Elves etc.

This map of the Warhammer world makes it pretty clear who is based on what.

sig-4721014.SbnMT8W.png

(bigger version here http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammerfb/images/c/c7/Warhammer_olde_world_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130917163104)

If you've read 'The Lord of the Rings', then you'll recognise almost every faction in Warhammer has its genesis in that book, even down to the relationships between some of the races, such as the Dwarves/Squats distrust of the Elves/Eldar.  Much of what was drawn from LoTR into Warhammer Fantasy is still present in Warhammer 40K.

If anything, Chaos could represent the Dark Forces of Morgoth, Sauron and all their associates.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

Yesterday just got into some of if the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device. And on poor sleep its a little intense and reminds me of everything wrong with humanity, but its still quite interesting.

• Brohoof 4

@@Lil Pip

It's a great series. Glad to see you took my recommendation :D  

I was a little curious due to some high resolution fanart and it seems to really take the extreme route which makes it interesting. I've watched 14 episodes of it yesterday I believe.

Also surprised how much likes I got in such a short span of time lol. I can tell that the series does lack some context that would be more common in the games though so I may look up some gameplay soon, prolly after I finish the Text-to-Speech. 

Also I am curious about rts in general. I like sc2 a decent amount for instance.

Edited by Lil Pip

@@Lil Pip

TTS starts with shorter episodes, but soon it will frequently have 15 to 30 minute episodes.

As for the games, Dawn of War is made by Relic so they play like Company of Heroes. I recommend the first one since it gives you more choices for the races you can play, is cheaper, and easier to learn.

I was a little curious due to some high resolution fanart and it seems to really take the extreme route which makes it interesting. I've watched 14 episodes of it yesterday I believe.

Also surprised how much likes I got in such a short span of time lol. I can tell that the series does lack some context that would be more common in the games though so I may look up some gameplay soon, prolly after I finish the Text-to-Speech. 

Also I am curious about rts in general. I like sc2 a decent amount for instance.

The Tabletop game is turn based, there are several RTS videogames titles out there such as the Dawn of War Series or Battlefleet Gothic.

Space Hulk Deathwing is an FPS set to come out later in November.

sig-4721044.5Do1tmW.gif

The release date has been changed to the 9th of December, but the beta is set to come out soon. 

• Brohoof 3

• 6 months later...

Moving this thread over to Media Discussion since it relates to gaming. Thanks! :) 

7 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

The first squad of my own Space Marine chapter nearing completion, going under the working title of 'Sons of Luna'.

Oh, nicely done!

• Brohoof 1

1333209646248.jpg

It's amazing home much Warhammer/Pony fan crossover there is.

I haven't played any games. A guy I work with showed me some of the game books so I started reading some of the novels. I really wish there was a good animated series.

• Brohoof 2

I've recently been getting into the tabletop game. Got a nifty Necron army built with a Tau force still needing construction. Even my little brother is building up an Ultramarine force of his own.

Hopefully going to a game this Saturday where I will be taking on Daemons and Imperial Knights. Oh fun indeed

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I haven't played any games. A guy I work with showed me some of the game books so I started reading some of the novels. I really wish there was a good animated series.

Yeah, lack of animations is shameful.. there's a short CGI movie called "The Lord Inquisitor" that's being worked on, though.

Edited by Somberhoof

6 hours ago, Derplight Sperkle said:

I've recently been getting into the tabletop game. Got a nifty Necron army built with a Tau force still needing construction. Even my little brother is building up an Ultramarine force of his own.

Hopefully going to a game this Saturday where I will be taking on Daemons and Imperial Knights. Oh fun indeed

Hope not Tzeench cheesed-out Daemons?)

1 minute ago, Somberhoof said:

Hope not Tzeench cheesed-out Daemons?)

He prefers the Nurgle and Khorne Daemons. Kinda destroyed him last time when all he had were those and Typhus.

His poor Daemon Prince died from 40 Rapid Fire Gauss Flayer shots from 20 warriors. 4 wounds exactly got through. It was very lucky for me

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Derplight Sperkle said:

He prefers the Nurgle and Khorne Daemons. Kinda destroyed him last time when all he had were those and Typhus.

His poor Daemon Prince died from 40 Rapid Fire Gauss Flayer shots from 20 warriors. 4 wounds exactly got through. It was very lucky for me

Last time I played against Magnus the Red, he died to about 10 Grey Knight and Black Templar terminators with Storm bolters and power fists/halberds. On turn 3. 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Nebula Woof said:

Last time I played against Magnus the Red, he died to about 10 Grey Knight and Black Templar terminators with Storm bolters and power fists/halberds. On turn 3. 

Poor Magnus can't get rest in 40k, getting slapped down by everyone, huh? :D
At least he's not Horus Heresy OP version of himself anymore =)

• 4 months later...

You know, when you bring the backstories of each 40k faction into account, sometimes, you get the feeling all the bad stuff that happens to them is some kind of cosmic justice. Because let's face it, in any other setting, the factions would make excellent antagonists.

On 6/5/2016 at 6:39 AM, Kozmos said:

Well for me personally, I'm more into the PC games than the tabletop as it too expensive for me.

Same here:  I initially thought that the "40K" was supposed to be the year the game was set, but it turned out that's how much money you needed to buy enough miniatures to have a competitive army. :P

Seriously, though, those miniatures make LEGO look cheap, however I do have the entire original Dawn of War (including Winter Assault & Soulstorm).  I even created a custom Princess Peach order for the Sisters of Battle in Soulstorm (Sisters of Battle don't get near enough love, IMO):

11763839214_5dc088a70c_z.jpg

• Brohoof 1

On 9/17/2017 at 1:40 AM, heavens-champion said:

You know, when you bring the backstories of each 40k faction into account, sometimes, you get the feeling all the bad stuff that happens to them is some kind of cosmic justice. Because let's face it, in any other setting, the factions would make excellent antagonists.

That's one of the cool things about it, there are no real good guys.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Which means you don't have to feel guilty if one of them loses or if they all lose.

P.S. when you say that the fact that there are no real good guys in 40k is one of the cool things about it, it's a little disturbing. Just my opinion. but then again, I suppose having all of the factions untrustworthy jerks is the point.

Edited by heavens-champion

15 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

That's actually one of the OTHER main reasons I never really got into 40K (aside from the whole 40K being the price tag for a reasonable army):  I just can't get into any setting where EVERY faction are complete & utter monsters, because then I don't have anyone to root for (although I do kind of like the Orks' general "Eff Dis, we'z all gunna get krumped one way or da odder, so we's might as well 'ave as much fun seein' 'ow many of da odder guyz we can krump first" attitude).  I guess that's why, in fan fiction I tend to prefer stories about the Orks or "joke" factions like the Angry Marines (Always Angry! All The Time!) or Reasonable Marines because they inject some desperately needed humor into all the grim darkness....