Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you still enjoy FiM if it was in a different style?

ManaMinori

(edited)

Like this:

post-23572-0-33276100-1465158827_thumb.png

Or this

post-23572-0-67368300-1465158870_thumb.png

Rather than this-

post-23572-0-12444700-1465159217.jpg

Would you still enjoy FiM, if it looked more like these art styles?

Would you actually prefer either of these styles over the one FiM is done in?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

Personally, I think that it would lose a bit of its charm if it had another art style.

the more complex styles wouldn't make up for what was lost with the original style?

I wouldn't necessarily dislike the current version, but I would love to see this new art style!

That thread is a bold attempt at brainwashing others to like Twi X Dash ship, disguised as a "artstyle discussion"   :eww:

If you're meaning that as a joke, I found it really funny.

I think it'd lose a bit of its charm to me, I first started watching because I liked the art style. Don't get me wrong those other ones are great too, however I just think it wouldn't be the same. Whether I would still watch it? Well I probably never would have started in the first place if not for the current art style so probably not.

The first 2 examples are actually enhanced versions of the original style anyway, so it's kind of like choosing between ice cream and ice cream with toppings.

would you rather it a downgraded art style? Ice cream with toppings is most often better than without, is it not?

(edited)

would you rather it a downgraded art style? Ice cream with toppings is most often better than without, is it not?

Of course not.

I was just making a point that your examples were more or less still that very same art style.

Now, if FIM suddenly decided to go the Teen Titans Go! route or something, then I'm sure that a good chunk of the fanbase would lose their enjoyment -- especially due to bad memories of how much Go! has deliberately crapped all over its predecessor.

Edited by A.V.

Like this:

can_you_feel_my_heart_by_mrardilla-da1lbb7.png

Or this

celestwip_by_monstrenoir-d7iej3j.png

Rather than this-

download.jpg

Would you still enjoy FiM, if it looked more like these art styles?

Would you actually prefer either of these styles over the one FiM is done in?

I kinda want to see MLP in a Steven Universe style.

But I assume the movie will be closer to the images above.

If the style was switched to one of those others, it would be culture shock for me, but they are not bad at all so I would get used to it eventually. If this is how they started from the get-go, then I think the show would have been relatively the same either way.  I would be fine with those, but the current one is iconic at this point.

The second one seems a tad anime-ish though.

I really like the first one, but we all know and love the style that is currently being used, therefore it would be a shock if it were to be changed.

Yeah I would, because they'd be the same characters I've come to know and thus it wouldn't be too different, I don't think.

You know what...I think *making* something like this would be real cool. Once I get good at drawing/animation I want to try making something like this :P

First off, wow, that is an amazing picture.  That's the kind of picture that makes my heart explode.  That's why I love this fandom, right there.

Anyway, I have often wished the show was done in a slightly more realistic, detailed style, just like that first picture, or perhaps anything by MysticAlpha.  That's a great style, too.  Very similar to the show, but with a touch more depth.  I would really love that, but I also love the show as is.  I think I could really get into an MLP Gen5 show that takes place in the same universe, but with new characters, done in a style like that picture.  That would rock my socks.

• Brohoof 1

I definitely agree with @Justin_Case001. I would actually go for a more realistically-proportioned but still somewhat cartoony style for this show, maybe an order of magnitude closer to anime.

In one part, it's a matter of personal preference, but for another it would manage to actually be better than the show's actual art style at one fundamental rule of merchandise-driven cartoons: the designs have to translate well to three dimensions. The current character design is flat like The Powerpuff Girls; it only looks on-model in two dimensions. Toy and digital models have to jury-rig the eye spacing and head shape as well as estimate the curvature of the body. Funko Vinyl figures are at least the closest to getting it right.

However, I appreciate the current art style for what it is. It sets its own identity distinct from the previous generations as well as rival cartoon and toy franchises and is more marketable to general audiences than previous generations. The characters have more of a vibrance and expressiveness to them, and Lauren Faust's personal touch is evident given that this is her default art style, looking at some of the other projects she's been involved in. It knows the concept of "cute" but doesn't go too overboard with it. In addition, the art style was a big draw for me because I'm personally getting tired of the minimalist character design that pretty much every other show not named Avatar or Korra has these days. The way they were able to wring designs with personality out of characters all designed on the same base model is also worthy of interest.

• Brohoof 1

That first picture in the OP was really great and I wouldn't mind it if the show looked like that.

But I am perfectly fine with the way the show is currently animated and the style that it currently has.

• Brohoof 1

I probably would. I mean, it would be jarring if they were to change the style now as we're used to the show's current look, but if it were always a different style we'd probably still be here, assuming the style was in fact visually appealing.

Both of those pictures are very nice, and I'd certainly love to watch a show animated at such quality, even if done at low framerate like a lot of anime series.

But I wouldn't have ever been drawn to the show if it was done in typical Flash style, with thick black lines, sharp corners, lots of geometric shapes like circles/ellipses, pieces being rotated and scaled all the time instead of actually drawing new frames for most motions. Obviously a lot of things like walk cycles are reused frequently, but that's fine. The colored outlines really help keep things looking good at any scale, and all the characters and trees and things have nice organic shapes that can be visualized in 3D, rather than only making sense from certain angles. Definitely the best Flash animation I've seen :)

I certainly would love it if MLPFIM was done in this style.

b258c3f13f617c456f26cdee38838425.jpg

But in reality, approaching animation this way would make the entire series multiple centuries to complete. So alternatively I think MLPFIM would be quite appealing if it resembled something made by Disney.

• Brohoof 2

I adore the current style design of MLP... I'm not really sure I would change anything about it except for the color balance. The lineworks are too bright and lack contrast to me. I'm often not at ease with how well the characters blend and It's a little tough on the eyes trying to differentiate elements in the back and foreground.

• Brohoof 1

I would personally be all for a different style. Not that the current one is bad, it's really good, but I wouldn't mind a more stylistic approach to the series.