Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media A character the fandom hates that you love or vice versa

greenflare

(edited)

The title says it all.  I'd like to hear your opinions on different characters who are either popular or unpopular.

For me, a character I like that the fandom dislikes would be Princess Daisy from Mario Bros.  I like tomboy characters and she reminds me a lot of Rainbow Dash.

As for characters I don't like that the fandom likes..  Probably Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls.

What about you?

Edited by greenflare

(edited)

Characters I like that most fans hate. 

- Rodimus from Transformers

- Axl from Megaman X(debuting in X7 doesn't help)

- Raiden from MGS2(in particular)

- Slippy, Krystal and Lucy from the Starfox series

- Blaze the Cat(mainly because she gets lumped with a lot of awful Sonic Characters)

- Bowser Jr

- Hercule from DBZ(he's purely comic relief and even then, he redeems himself in the Buu Saga)

Characters I hate that everyone likes

- Broly from DBZ, all he does is get angry and destroys everything just because Goku cries harder than him as a baby. He has less character than paper. To this day I just call him Steroid Man

- Kratos from GoW, every one acts like he's the greatest badass ever but every appearance he makes he's a completely unlikable psychopath and takes out his anger on everyone else for his own mistakes

- Trixie, She's a unicorn practicing stage magic in a world where unicorns are capable of real magic. I never got the hype for this character and I never will

- Chris Redfield, compared to virtually every other RE character he's incredibly boring, I don't know why Capcom's always bringing him back

- Klavier Gavin....well I like him actually, but he's easily my least favorite and least interesting prosecutor in the series

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 6

- Kratos from GoW, every one acts like he's the greatest badass ever but every appearance he makes he's completely unlikable and takes out his anger on everyone else for his own mistakes

He's definitely half-and-half for me.

• Brohoof 1

The Fandom Hates But I Like

For MLP,Suri Polomare and Wind Rider. Suri may be a bitch,but her design is one of the best in the show.

I'm not sure if people hate Wind Rider too much,but I know I liked him. Something about his voice,his design,and his attitude.

As for other fandoms.

-Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2.

-Kristoph Gavin,Richard Wellington,and Redd White from the Ace Attorney franchise.

-Bubsy the Bobcat

-Dr. Ivo Robotnik from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

-Scrappy Doo

• Brohoof 1

- Hercule from DBZ(he's purely comic relief and even then, he redeems himself in the Buu Saga)

Wait, most fans hate him?

I was under the impression that he's a mixed bag at worst.

IMO, he's definitely funny, and the Buu Saga's definitely his highlight.

• Brohoof 1

Wait, most fans hate him?

I was under the impression that he's a mixed bag at worst.

IMO, he's definitely funny, and the Buu Saga's definitely his highlight.

That's not what I remember, I just remember seeing the comment section of Youtube and several gaming sites like IGN and Destructoid always going about how they want to murder him

• Brohoof 1

That's not what I remember, I just remember seeing the comment section of Youtube and several gaming sites like IGN and Destructoid always going about how they want to murder him

Reminds me of the aforementioned EQD trolls going on and on about Radiant.

• Brohoof 1

For characters that the fandom hates that I like would be:

- Flash Sentry due to his comedic moments in FG, and his very own short, and I really like his design

- Zephyr Breeze, not really a like but more of I can tolerate his character.

- King Sombra for being a really intelligent villain and making for a really great threat to be defeated in the season 3 premiere.

Characters that the fandom loves that I don't like very much:

- Marble Pie

- Starlight Glimmer from the season 5 premiere

- Every single background pony 

• Brohoof 3

I dunno much about characters in MLP that people hate, so I'm kinda clueless in that aspect.

But for characters outside of MLP that people seem to hate on, I must say that I'm a bit of an admirer of Krystal from StarFox. People do make fun of me and think I'm a furry since I like Krystal, but let me tell you, I'm not a furry!

Also, I get bombed sometimes because I like the waddle Dee from Kirby commonly known as Bandana Dee. I know he looks generic, but come on, I like him.

And most of all, ironically, i seem to have an admiration for Uncle Vernon from the Harry Potter movies. My mom gets upset with me because I always crack up at some of his moments because I think Vernon's funny. No I don't. It's not Vernon who has the sense of humor, it's his portrayer Richard Griffiths who's the funny guy in this case. It's what I keep telling people, if you're going to play a huge jerk like that in a movie, that's fine, but first you gotta have a sense of humor.

- Klavier Gavin....well I like him actually, but he's easily my least favorite and least interesting prosecutor in the series

I thought that's actually how most fans feel about him.

Personally, I thought him being non-corrupt and non-hostile was a refreshing change of pace.

Then again, his brother was already corrupt and hostile enough, so...

-Kristoph Gavin,Richard Wellington,and Redd White from the Ace Attorney franchise.

Pretty much everywhere I go, most fans actually see those guys as examples of the Love To Hate trope.

Then again, White was actually a pretty lame witness gameplay-wise for someone who was supposedly the Emperor Palpatine of all business and law at the time, and his boring live-action portrayal didn't exactly earn him any favors, either, IMO.

(edited)

I'm not exactly a fan of Ash Ketchum but I don't hate him either...I find the hate he gets to sophomoric.

Especially about how he has never become a Pokemon master when, as Rainbow Dash said, it's not about the size of your strength but your can-do never give up attitude.

Edit: Also Krystal from Starfox...I mean...I know she doesn't get development but I get annoyed when people treat Katt Monroe as some awesome fleshed out character (when she isn't!) and then bash Krystal. And Krystal was far  from a damsel in distress in Starfox Command.

Edited by Emiko Gale

Pretty much everywhere I go, most fans actually see those guys as examples of the Love To Hate trope.

Kristoph Gavin- I sort of hate him. But,it makes it hard to hate him,since he was such a good villain. He starts out so calm and charming,but as you progress through the game,he just fully turns into a James Bond villain. Plus,it's kind of nice to see a corrupt defense attorney,after all the evil prosecutors.

Richard Wellington- I don't know what it is about this guy that I love. There's just a charm to him.

Redd White- I thought he was pretty interesting. Mostly cause his combination of words.

splendiferous_colors_by_esabelle_ryngin-

- King Sombra for being a really intelligent villain and making for a really great threat to be defeated in the season 3 premiere.

Sombra: *Is finally somepony without any Stupid Evil moments whatsoever.* *Gets called things like "worst villain."*

xM3gr.gif

Also, while the current Sunset is definitely great, the original Villain!Sunset remains the real "worst villain," IMO.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Maybe not everyone hates him, but nonetheless, Apollo Justice.

I personally loved his character and I'm glad to see he's returning in Spirit of Justice.

Edited by Alpha Hedge
  • Brohoof 1

I liked Trixie at first for her design and comedy, but as numerous better characters were introduced into this series, her continued popularity has made less and less sense to me. She was just an egotistical showman, and unlike how Rarity goes deep with the business and relationship aspects of fashion design, Trixie is just a caricature of a traveling showman. We've seen the kind of character a thousand times before and her speech pattern is very archetypical (the Wizard of Oz has been "Great and Powerful" since 1900, baby!); aside from the character design and the sympathy angle that's been retroactively applied to her given the plot problems in "Boast Busters", there's nothing special about this character that I can decipher.

Another one from this show: I don't really like Gilda either, but I find the hate for her to make no sense when there are worse bullies on this show, namely Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, who don't hear it as much. I think Fluttershy fandom is a reason for this and she just happened to skewer their sacred mare.

There was a time when I watched Family Guy (it was a phase), and at the time I couldn't stand Mayor Adam West. I thought he was an enormous douche, and that's saying something in a show where virtually everyone is an enormous douche. He was a mega-douche.

On the Sonic side, I don't give a damn about Shadow. To that end, I just can't get over the irrationality of wanting to destroy the entire world over the death of just one girl. You call yourself "the ultimate lifeform" but you don't realize how little that accomplishes? I know he gets better later on, but as for that character design? Ow. The edge.

If there are any characters I like that others don't, it's King Sombra. He was by far the smartest and most competent villain in the series when he came out, but the thing most people focus on are his design, lack of screentime, and lack of a valid motivation. Motivation is an easy blank to fill: if you can accept that Discord represents chaos, just say Sombra was the embodiment of hatred. Other than that, he served his purpose in the plot; he was a very strong obstacle that Twilight, Spike, and the royal couple had to overcome. They showed their best against him, and he went down fighting instead of standing and gloating.

• Brohoof 4

Oh boy. Oh boy...

If I'm perfectly honest, I do not like Vinyl Scratch. I mean, I do not like the way she is often portrayed. I remember a long time ago someone described her to me as being a mix of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie personality-wise.

Her brash, fun-loving, wild personality is something that a lot of people seem to enjoy. But I do not. Whenever I see/hear Vinyl in animations and such, she comes off to me as extremely obnoxious and unbearable.

So, being a mix of two personality types that I don't like to be around didn't win me over.

• Brohoof 2

If there are any characters I like that others don't, it's King Sombra. He was by far the smartest and most competent villain in the series when he came out, but the thing most people focus on are his design, lack of screentime, and lack of a valid motivation. Motivation is an easy blank to fill: if you can accept that Discord represents chaos, just say Sombra was the embodiment of hatred. Other than that, he served his purpose in the plot; he was a very strong obstacle that Twilight, Spike, and the royal couple had to overcome. They showed their best against him, and he went down fighting instead of standing and gloating.

The lack of screen time isn't why I don't care for Sombra. He was actually quite an intelligent villain. It's just that he had no personality. He was evil and intelligent,yeah,but there was no pzazz to him. He never really stuck out to me. In fact,the whole Crystal Empire episode was easily forgettable to me. But,that's just me.

Oh boy. Oh boy...

If I'm perfectly honest, I do not like Vinyl Scratch. I mean, I do not like the way she is often portrayed. I remember a long time ago someone described her to me as being a mix of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie personality-wise.

Her brash, fun-loving, wild personality is something that a lot of people seem to enjoy. But I do not. Whenever I see/hear Vinyl in animations and such, she comes off to me as extremely obnoxious and unbearable.

So, being a mix of two personality types that I don't like to be around didn't win me over.

I love the idea of her being mute. It just makes her far more interesting.

• Brohoof 2

I've never understood the complete fascination with Gilda. Sure I like her a bit now but not as much as say, Trixie.

Also, Sonata Dusk. I get why she's popular but I personally like Aria and Adagio better. 

(edited)

Flash Sentry is as close is I can get to a character that fits your question, but I wouldn't say I like/love Flash Sentry, but I can tolerate how cliche he is.

Twilight Sparkle is my favorite, but I don't think many people hate her.

Edited by Frannis