Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Friends Forever #29, Maud Pie & Rarity

Guest90210

(edited)

What are your thoughts on the new Friends Forever comic?

0hWqyEe.jpg

Personally, I loved it! Some notes:

• Buried Treasure is a truly greedy, spiteful character. "Again we see there is nothing you possess which I cannot take away"
  • I like how the diary ends midway through the comic, I expected the diary to cover their entire adventure. It was surprisingly enjoyable the way they handled it
  • I love how they explained Maud's emotions, and the way she expresses them through her diary. Its relatable and gives someone like Rarity a solid understanding of what its like to think like Maud. Some people are able to express themselves more comfortably verbally; others prefer to write down their feelings
  • The cave wasn't particularly interesting as a setting as it lacks some features, but overall, the art style was clean and good on the eyes
  • Couldn't Buried Treasure simply have at least attempted to lie about discovering the cave first to take credit? Though, I suppose the counter thought is that it isn't about recognition, its just about besting Maud. Why does she have such a grudge against Maud?
  • That pilot pony is awesome
Edited by Rivendare

While the diary thing was good, Maud inwardly being just like everypony else wasn't really a shock -- especially when she flat-out said at the end of her S4 debut that she's like that.

P.S.: She'd still be undefeated in Vegas, BTW.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Buried Treasure is a truly greedy, spiteful character. "Again we see there is nothing you possess which I cannot take away"

I can't tell if you are aware, but this is a direct parody quote of the archaeology villain, Belloq, in "raiders of the lost ark".  

its a fine fit.  Belloq was also greedy and spiteful.  However, Belloq is quite a bit more in control of his emotions, even when he is furious at Indiana.

She even wears the exact same hat: clicky

In this case, Treasure makes a fine foil to Maud, because they both exist on opposite sides of the expressed passion scale.  

---

This issue is a great example of the comic going to much deeper emotional depths than the show.  we've even had a Maud episode recently, and yet we learn so much more about her in this issue.  I love that she is able to express herself so clearly in words.  its a window to her soul that we just don't otherwise get.  

I must admit, that when I saw the episode was about maud, I got a bit disappointed.  I just didn't think she was a very interesting character.

I am so happy to be proved wrong.  This is some great writing from Anderson.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love that Buried Treaure is a straight-up reference if Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I would love to see more of her...as long as she isn't pursuing legal studies. XD

That aside, this issue was absolutely amazing! I have to admit, this one could very well dethrone the Trixie/Dashie one as my favorite of this series. The reason is because Rarity & Maud play off of each SO WELL and I love how Rarity doesn't know how to cope with Maud's stoicness. And that panel where Maud trusts Rarity to read her diary...that was every so beautifully done.

So yeah; perfect 10/10 from me. :)

(edited)

That aside, this issue was absolutely amazing! I have to admit, this one could very well dethrone the Trixie/Dashie one as my favorite of this series. The reason is because Rarity & Maud play off of each SO WELL and I love how Rarity doesn't know how to cope with Maud's stoicness. And that panel where Maud trusts Rarity to read her diary...that was every so beautifully done.

That is high praise.  You liked those more than CMC/Discord or Spike/Celestia?

A very strong comic, but it probably isn't quite in my top 5.  

If I have any gripe with the comic, is that I struggled with the first part of the issue where it felt like rarity was dragging Maud along against her will.

Obviously in retrospect this was required to setup the incredible diary reveal, so it is mostly redeemed.  

I just prefer to like them WHILE i'm reading them instead of after the fact.  Fortunately, comics are short, so the rough spot was over very quickly.  

A very strong comic, but it probably isn't quite in my top 5 of the Friends Forever series.  

Edited by weesh

That is high praise.  You liked those more than CMC/Discord or Spike/Celestia?

A very strong comic, but it probably isn't quite in my top 5.  

If I have any gripe with the comic, is that I struggled with the first part of the issue where it felt like rarity was dragging Maud along against her will.

Obviously in retrospect this was required to setup the incredible diary reveal, so it is mostly redeemed.  

I just prefer to like them WHILE i'm reading them instead of after the fact.  Fortunately, comics are short, so the rough spot was over very quickly.  

A very strong comic, but it probably isn't quite in my top 5 of the Friends Forever series.  

Honestly, while I enjoyed the CMC/Discord issue quite a lot, it didn't really leave that big of an impression on me. The Spike/Celestia issue, on the other hand, is easily one of the better FF issues IMO. Until I read the Trixie/Dash one it was my favorite, and still remains in my top-five. However, the Trixie/Dash & Rarity/Maud just left such strong impressions on me that they pretty much make up my top 2 anymore. :)