Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I hope it's CG

Phosphorous

(edited)

What if they used real ponies?

I saw this a few days ago and I just had to look for it again when I read your post:

realistic_rainbow_dash_by_giesji-d4lz90n

Not sure how they could put wings on a horse without CG. :P

Edited by Prospekt

I saw this a few days ago and I just had to look for it again when I read your post:

realistic_rainbow_dash_by_giesji-d4lz90n

Not sure how they could put wings on a horse without CG. :P

You'd be surprised, the kind of prosthetics Hollywood can make. But even if not, just because the wings are CG doesn't mean the whole pony needs to be.

Yeah, I suppose that would work, but forgive me if I'm not completely convinced it would look good.  In that Superman pose, her forelegs are attached in a completely different place then when she's walking or standing at rest.  Her chest disappears entirely.  There's so much geometry that would need to move, shrink, or practically disappear.  I think the transition and the end result would look discordant to the eye.  I still think that for the most part, 3D characters need to maintain what would be physically possible for them if they existed in real life in order to look good.  But I know I still have a great deal to learn about this stuff.  Good suggestion, though.  Gives me something to think about and play around with.

In Father of the Pride, the lions would transition seamlessly from bipedal to quadrupedal anatomies. I don't think a lot of people noticed how different the two forms were, if it is noticed, it's specifically with the main character, Larry, who has a large belly only as a biped, but not as a quadruped. It worked fine technically, even though the show itself failed.

In your example, we're talking about the same situation, except Dash is in the air as a biped (superman pose), with all of the associated problems that might bring. Morph targets are commonly used this way, bound to armature conditions, so that the animator doesn't have to invoke them manually with sliders. When it works, it works great. There's also a bunch of other things that can be done in a rig to make this all work out, including the development of specialized plugins and scripts.

The eyeballs are the real problem IMO. I think it can be done right... but it's hard.

• Brohoof 1

No! or yes. but it can only go two ways:

The good way:

sig-4553695.1147843__safe_solo_pinkie%20

Or the bad way:

sig-4553695.large.gifAnd I did use these exact gifs in a topic talking about the movie being live action with CG ponies.

Where did you find that first gif? I would very much like to know how the creator made those Fookin Sweet hair effects.

Flash looks awful on the big screen.

Maybe that's why so many fans don't like him in Equestria Girls *ba-bump* *tish*  :-P

Seriously, though, I hope it isn't 3D CG. The Timberwolves looked pretty weird. I hope they stick with the show's usual style.

• Brohoof 5

But if they use CG, non bronies would also find the movie attractive from the trailers, and would go to see it. In flash, only bronies will watch this movie.

What? What?  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

What kind of logic is that? Non-bronies are not more likely to watch it if it is CG. Have you ever met a person who dislike MLP because of the animation style? I have not. Every non-brony or anti-brony I have ever heard of always dislikes MLP because of the slice of life plot or the fact that it is about magic ponies. Never have I ever EVER heard of a person who dislikes MLP because of animation style. As a matter of fact, the movie would probably get less views if it were CG, because some people like MLP only because of the animation style.

• Brohoof 1

What? What? :confused::confused::confused:

What kind of logic is that? Non-bronies are not more likely to watch it if it is CG. Have you ever met a person who dislike MLP because of the animation style? I have not. Every non-brony or anti-brony I have ever heard of always dislikes MLP because of the slice of life plot or the fact that it is about magic ponies. Never have I ever EVER heard of a person who dislikes MLP because of animation style. As a matter of fact, the movie would probably get less views if it were CG, because some people like MLP only because of the animation style.

I believe the point he was making was that the modern animated film is more apt to be CG model based, so there is a fair amount of conditioning and expectation. Removing for a moment the 2D animation fans (which I am definitely one of), there is a stronger draw to CG movies for a patron. I wonder if 2D is analogous to 'kids film's in some eyes. Not that the title will already give that implication ... but I digress.

That said, they are using Toon Boom and I do expect it to be 2D with some tweaks to the art design.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it already been confimed to be 2D made in a new better program than flash I'm not saying it can't work in CG cartoon can look great but I personally love HD 2D images they look amazing. I really can't wait for a trailer.

I thought it already been confimed to be 2D made in a new better program than flash I'm not saying it can't work in CG cartoon can look great but I personally love HD 2D images they look amazing. I really can't wait for a trailer.

I prefer the original style, too.

However, this person proves it's not impossible to make 3D work for it: http://creatorofpony.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

Since i dislike the drawing Style more and more, an " everything else " would be great.

Cgi would be awesome, more detailed traditional Animation would be awesome even Puppets would be better but please not the ultra simplistic "save the most Money possible " Style for the Movie...

692530__safe_fluttershy_smiling_cute_ani
IMO I think this style will be great for a cgi movie since the expression is one of the most important element for the mlp show ;3

Btw , if hasbro make it like the style of Bambi , it would also be ggggrreeeeatttttttt

Edited by dirtytimi
  • Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

sig-4644447.692530__safe_fluttershy_smil

IMO I think this style will be great for a cgi movie since the expression is one of the most important element for the mlp show ;3

Btw , if hasbro make it like the style of Bambi , it would also be ggggrreeeeatttttttt

Wow it would be a good idea like they did it with Un gallo con mucho huevos or Asterix: The Mansions of the Gods or that 2005 Magic Roundabout movie

We already have evidence that the movie will be 2D-based. There was Tara Strong's post with a cutout of Twilight with a slightly different design:

large.jpeg

This matches up with a later-revealed model of Sia's character in the movie, Songbird Serenade, who was officially announced at this year's San Diego Comic Con:

large.png

Really makes me want to see what the animation will be like. With Toon Boom, you can never be quite certain.

• Brohoof 1

Dreamworks and Pixar have managed to make animals look good in 3D while keeping the cartoon look. So why do people think 3D renders of MLP characters often look creepy? The thing is that the characters in MLP were designed with 2D animation in mind. That's partly why 3D versions don't work most of the time (in my opinion). For it to work in 3D, the characters would have to be re-designed with 3D animation in mind.

• Brohoof 1

Imagine how amazing it would look if they used Tangled-style 3D animation. I would be interested in how they handle Celestia's hair.

Let's hope they have good CGI animators  

sig-4644447.692530__safe_fluttershy_smil

all those sfm's look like poo campared to this