Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What influenced your OCs?

Randimaxis

Hiya there!

I've seen a HECKUVA lot of OCs, and a number of them remind me of different things... so I got to wondering what particular influences (if any) brought your original characters out of your mind to play among the rest of us?  What was going through your noggin when you came up with them?

As an exapmle, I'll go through my OC family: The Blackwaters.

Dax Blackwater: I sort-of modeled him after myself during my teenage years, but he draws a heavy influence from both Peter Parker (not Spidey) and Scott Pilgrim - both lovable dorks who end up being the underdog.

Harcourt Blackwater:  He was built from numerous screenings of The Princess Bride - there's a LOT of the Dread Pirate Roberts (Westley) in him, as well as some Robin Hood and some Zorro.  For his stint in Sombra's Shadow, I also borrowed some Bruce Willis (particularly from the movie Red).

Oglevy Blackwater:  One part David MacAllister from Home Alone, one part Jimmy Neutron, and two parts Corey Feldman from The Lost Boys.

Vylia Blackwater:  I borrowed a bit from Rarity for her, but I sprinkled in some Bette Midler and a dash of Catherine O'Hara from Beetlejuice (Mama Deetz).  And just a smidge of Luella Parsons (if any of you legit know who THAT is without Googling, I shall be IMPRESSED).

Luther Blackwater:  I pulled his look and his attitude from Judge Doom off of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mr. Freeze from the original Batman animated series.  But for what it's worth, he's FAR nicer than they were.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Guess I'll start with the humans o_o

Jake Lawson/Hyde

He was influenced by my cycling depression and adhd. Jake being the overly optimitistic idiot and Hyde being the hateful psychopath.

Vincent Light

Influenced by the Super heroic banter cliche mixed with the depressive mad scientist troupe.

Erizabeth Kurosawa

Influenced by Amon from avatar mixed with azula.

Edited by HammerTime
  • Brohoof 1

Whenever I'm in bed at night and I'm awake, I'm a!ways thinking of completely random things. One night, I thought "What if I was in MLP?" I thought of a green unicorn, then imagined myself with a Geometry Dash cutie mark. At the time, I didn't know better and I wanted my ponysona to be a Mary Sue. My OC was pretty much using his magic to make things appear when he needed something, make things disappear when he didn't want something, simply teleport away from bad situations, and pretty much do all these things that make life easy. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided that pegasus fanfictions are awesome and my ponysona as a pegasus would make it harder for him to be a Mary Sue. And what about the PAC-MAN cutie mark, you ask? When I first thought of my OC, I could go months without even having PAC-MAN come to mind. It was until I picked him up in Smash that I decided to change his cutie mark.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Corncob: A giant chicken (okay, cockatrice) who ascended to alicornatrice (alicorn + cockatrice = giant chicken with a horn) during a particularly rousing game of checkers against his archenemy Tony the Squirrel.  He's capable of telepathy (learned via a correspondence course), can travel through space unaided (once defeated Tony in an epic game of tug of war on the moon), has accidentally traveled back in time, can vaporize someone with his Sonic Bawk, and has been known to travel from universe to universe in an attempt to escape the wrath of Lyra and Bon Bon.

What influenced Corncob?  The fandom's tendency to TELL people what does or doesn't constitute a "good OC" - and to harshly judge those that don't fit their criteria.  Especially where alicorns are concerned; people will rationalize the hell out of the impossibility of alicorn OCs.  So I made, I thought, a blatant joke-OC who went from cockatrice to alicorn and continued to make his backstory and abilities increasingly ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

My OC was mostly influenced by my own sorrow, grief, and depression which is what is original backstory revolved around. I later changed quite a lot about him... lemme go down the list.

His new backstory is based off of several RPs I've had here on MLPF, mixed with random ideas from myself, and others.

His nickname Snowflake Frostflame is a mixture of two things, Snowflake which is part of my favorite element, ice. While Frostflame comes from my Wizard 101 character's last name which was also Frostflame. His colors are the colors of cyromancy, which is light blue, and white. The light blue RGB comes specifically from Snowdrop's coat. His attire was inspired by Ezio, Altair's attires, but with my own adjustments. His sword is based off of a sword I had in World of Warcraft 10 years ago. His eye patch was influenced by my slight blindness in my left eye due to an incident as a kid. I made him a unicorn for two reasons, I saw a lack of unicorn OC at the time, and I'm usually the spell caster in RPG games.

Moving on to traits... his alchemy were influenced from my Minecraft days, as I was my group's alchemist. His stealth skills are based off of my real life stealth skills as I'm very sneaky in real life. When I was 14 I was given the nickname "Slender man" as I would use similar tactics to sneak up on people. Snowflake has the exact same personality, and beliefs as I do, he is quiet most of the time unless he needs to speak, he generally wants to do the right thing even if it goes against rules, and he's either silent, or cocky when competing against others.

So yeah in the end quite a lot of inspiration, and creativity went into making just this one character so that he'll be well fleshed out, and not overpowered. Which is one of the few reasons he is my only OC, and always will be.

• Brohoof 1

Mesme Rize, is pretty much the product of my love for hypnosis and snakes, which dates all the way back to my days of watching the jungle book too many times. As an hommage, Mesme Rize also uses the quote "Trust in me" in special situations. :P

• Brohoof 2

Rosemary- I love medicinal herbs, used to be my ponysona so was influenced by me...

Birdsong- I don't know, nature?

Light Star- A very stupid game called FFS, elements...

Starry Night- Nighttime, the Lion King, and myself, cuz shes my ponysona.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...
(edited)

With my OC shadow I chose his mane and tail colors so they represent my nationality as a Mexican-american with the american colors in front as that's where I was born and where i live and the Mexican colors as his tail to represent what I am genetically,and the navy blue coat was mainly because it looks good on him and to represent my brony cousin who's off in the navy 

597c169d47904_pony(1).thumb.png.6ab433a035d394bd29282edbbfc634a3.png

Edited by shadowwarp940
  • Brohoof 1

Ginger Ale aka my profile picture, was inspired my obsession with Princess Luna. I decided to come up with a wonderful OC design and with the help of @SFyr it turned up really well, for me at least it did. Instead of a stupid daughter of Princess OCs, l decided to have a guard OC of Princess Luna.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Rosie was designed to be more of a persona-in-pony-form thing, but she ended up being the personality I aspired to- the muse. She needed to have a pleasing color palette but I wanted to try combining warm colors with cool ones and I have always been in love with the result. ^ ^

One of these days I'll write her into a little MLP fanfiction, but it's been so long coming just because even I don't think I can do her justice! She means a lot to me.

^ ^;

sunset_rose_by_digitalbuckshot-dabf3u4 (1).png

Edited by Guest

(edited)

Honestly, I don't seem to have any points of inspiration when it comes to my OC's. A basic concept pops into my mind at random and I develop it into a character that I know I would like to read about if I was a member of the audience. I think of what flaws and positive aspects I can give the character along with the bare bones of a backstory, and naturally shape their plot and personality around that. Perhaps the influence is subconscious, but honestly, what seems to influence them is really only the tings I would be interested in seeing in a story which, more often that not, involves things I've never seen elsewhere before, or at least not to my knowledge. Bright Spark is one such character.

Edited by EightBit
  • Brohoof 2

To be honest all I thought was who exactly would I be as a pony? And then BAM!!! I came up with Techno Universal! I also went deep down into my personality to create him and I concluded that I have a universal personality so that explains his cutie mark. Basically my OC is who I am on the inside under my human body! :)

image.thumb.jpeg.77be924aa7b6052959a50d6e757b94ec.jpeg 

• Brohoof 2

46 minutes ago, Ginger Ale said:

@Sunset Rose a very cute OC, amazing design, and colors. A good drawing too. My OC would be glad to get to know her and become friends. :grin:

That's perfectly fine with me! ^ ^

This here is Cheshire. She was originally my Ponysona when I first joined the MLP fandom some years ago. She eventually became a character of her own. 

When I designed her, I wanted to include a lot of my favourite things into a pony. Black/Turqouise was my fav colour combo back then. I also was enamored with classical unicorns, so that's why she has that kind of tail. I made her to be very feline as well, since, well, I freakin' love cats. Alice in Wonderland is one of my all-time favourite books, so I wanted her to have a whimsical, Wonderland-esque flair to her as well. Throw that all into a blender and this funny lil ponycat was born. 

I eventually made her a male counterpart which became her twin brother. 

And no, she's not a pony version of the Cheshire Cat, as many seem to think.

show_me_a_big_grin_by_harmoniousrain-d7nbeo3.thumb.png.6cfbec9bea0668b3a3071fb68839067c.png

• Brohoof 5

• 2 months later...

My OC Star Mist took off of my curiosity of Space and Astrophotography as I wanted to convey a feeling of mystery and wonder towards her. The concept of making her a Earth pony resonated with the need to create pony who shows interest in science rather than magic. Her color palette took inspiration from the the planet Neptune and of course her Cutie Mark resembles a photographic camera rather than a telescope to show here affinity and skill to regular photography also as one of her hobbies. I added glasses to her as well because I also wear them too. 

star.jpg.854f66201f0fcde71236839cfe6c78bf.jpg

• Brohoof 3

(Screenshot from Pony town because I am not good at drawing).IMG_20171028_193337.jpg.8d7c15f89d8db2e2b89cb61ad47cbb59.jpg

My OC is based off me and my love for animals. Since foxes are my favorite I based her features off them, without making her a complete fox-pony. Her green color is to contrast from her fox-like appearance showing her pony side, and her mangenta eyes for my favorite color.

Her most noticible feature are her black colored socks legs, a feature that many foxes have.

FB_IMG_1508649132290.thumb.jpg.8fd99090ecde55046065093528cb2ec5.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Simply put, Unicorn Will Guide is simply me visiting Equestria in pony form as a Disney fan who sees the inhabitants of Equestria as parallels to Disney characters.

Thanks to Thorax's existence showing the Changelings are not all evil, I decided to make my own. Realizing that I had Unicorn Will able to mimic all the Disney characters, I realized having his Changeling counterpart share his body would explain U. Will's ability to do so.

• Brohoof 1

@Sunset Rose's OC/sona remains one my favorite designs; period! <3

That said...I have too many...though...

Pathfinder and Sojourner: I've modeled these two on what I would like to aspire to be; though it likely won't turn out like that. As such they are both scholarly ponies who are close friends, but they are not lovers. Just friends and partners in their field of study. Add in some inspirations from Indiana Jones, Uncharted, and Tomb Raider, then you get a clear picture of their inspiration.

Corsair: I wanted a pegasus to complete the trio, and I modeled him after Sky Captain and named him after the WW2 fighter plane.

Stargazer: Largely modeled after my love for the stars, as well as the crystal pony's struggle after the reign of Sombra.

Autumn, Trailblazer: Both being inspired by the deer from the MLP comics, Autumn is similar to Sojourner in archeological pursuits, while Trailblazer is more focused on the here and now, and his detached from deer society.

Gideon and Zaru: Well, I like a diverse cast, and having a book-loving zebra & griffon duo was an interesting path to take.

Cherry Blossom and Scarlet Willow: Their designs actually come from my dear friend Crecious. As far as personalities...still working on that. XD

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

@Sunset Rose's OC/sona remains one my favorite designs; period! <3

You are too sweet, thank you very much. ^ ^

From the trivia in the bottom of the profile:

Lektra Bolt was originally a Winx Club fairy OC created in late 2012 and was never actually put to print anywhere. Fairy Lektra shares some similarities with Tecna from Winx Club. They're from the same home planet, Zenith, and if she was ever in a Winx Club RP her full designation would be the Fairy of Electronics. I started a pony RP on another forum in February of 2013 and created the pony version based on the fairy for that RP. The pony later became a separate entity and while the fairy OC is still around, she doesn't get much use anymore cause Winx Club RPs are nonexistent in places I frequent. Fairy Lektra mostly appears in superhero RPs as an alien superheroine with the powers she would have had in a Winx Club RP.

Other stuff:

The character is not just an OC but a ponysona with my personality, and basically I'm just being myself when I RP. As a result I occasionally seem to write OOC, but that's because not everything is covered in the personality as written down.

The back story is written in such a way to emphasize and explain identifying with Twilight and her friends and knowing everything about them, within reason. When not working, she stalks them in a similar way that Photo Finish did in 'It's Not The Mane Thing About You' but in such a way as to not be creepy. Not seeming creepy is not guaranteed (TM).

There is a 2 year time skip which I keep meaning to write into a fanfiction, but have never had the time really.

Magitek is intended to explain a plot hole in the show, in which the world obviously has mostly 1930s technology, but then we get out liners like wireless microphones and electronic refrigerators. It is designed to scale up and down depending on RP setting.

I took a very long time working everything out in such a way as to not break canon, and when I met him this intent was easily picked up by Denny Lu

obvious part of Stormy is her cutie mark being a pokeball music note. but her mane colouring is very much inspired by Rogue from Xmen. 

my "daughter OC" Mistral Hurricane's name is because I really love the song Hurricane by Theory of a Dead Man. 

My characters are obviously naturally born from the influences I get during my life. Most of my OC's tend to be very militaristic, not only because of my interest in the army but it's actually how I got into the whole Mlp scheme in the first place. You see, the only type of fanfiction I have read/probably will ever read is HiE (Human in Equestria), and those humans were more often than not varying degrees of soldiers from different settings. Also, the OC's tend to be a bit on the sociopathic side of things by default. (Everyone who knows Nigel from a fic named "Nigel M Chalmers, Emperor" and/or Handy from "Bad Mondays" will catch my drift). :D 

Not once have I created a character that could be used in normal lore friendly non-violent roleplay. Guess I never really got the "Friendship is Magic" part through my thick skull haha.

Edited by Crewman

Lance Shield: Lance is the ideal modern politician. He's a progressive and is incredibly unapologetic for it. The universe Lance exists in is different from the normal MLP universe, that means that he'd most likely be incompatible with life in Equestria. In Lance's universe, he's the democratically-elected leader of a nation of over 1 billion citizens. Lance doesn't really have any real-world inspirations, he was entirely based on my ideas.

President Shield.png