Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you feel comfortable wearing things that stand out in public?

ManaMinori

I don't mind at all. I used to wear neon-yellow Crocs absolutely everywhere (even though Crocs had already gone out-of-style) until I finally wore them out. I got plenty of compliments on them too. In my experience people aren't as judgemental as you often expect them to be.

Not really... I wear clothes that stand out (like, really stand out) because I like the clothing. I feel uncomfy because I'm a girl and I'm cute, and I always get harrassed anyways though so wearing alt fashion doesn't make a difference... harassment risk anywhere i go

i enjoy wearing kawaii fashions, like lolita or fairy kei, and usually wear pink. sometimes gothic lolita 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Absolutely.

If it’s not even related to Satan or anything satanic but looks like it could be, people get freaked out. I had a guy freak out over my Rush tshirt. I thought he was gonna refuse me service because he was so freaked by it. I also live in a small town, so while how I look wouldn’t be thought on much in the city, out here in this small country town it draws a lot of looks. We don’t have much of an alternative/goth/rock community around here. I draw a lot of attention. Good and bad.

Thats the one thing I always mention to people around here who are interested in possibly looking like I do. There’s a lot that comes with it and you gotta be able to handle it.

Platform boots always get commented on. Always. I try not to wear those is busy places because sometimes people get scared I’ll step on their foot. It’s a two way street here because I’m scared I’ll stomp on y’all’s feet by accident as well. They very  heavy shoes so it’d probably hurt. Keep your space and keep your children away. 

Edited by Blitzo
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
23 minutes ago, Winter Storm said:

I feel the exact same way and really wish I didn't. I'm always worried I'm appearing as strange or weird to people.

Yaaa... i guess i was just raised to be "proper" in public so wearing anything thats not norm or draws attnetions to myself is a big no no plus I don't even want that... lol

3 minutes ago, Starlighty said:

Yaaa... i guess i was just raised to be "proper" in public so wearing anything thats not norm or draws attnetions to myself is a big no no plus I don't even want that... lol

My parents were hardly that strict so I don't know why I am so concerned about it. I know some guys who will go around wearing MLP shirts or merch but I just can't bring myself to do that despite how important it is to me. I also can't help but feel I look ugly to others. All plays a huge part in how hopeless things seem to me.

How I feel use to be one way, then it was the other.

When I was younger, I was too afraid to wear clothes that "stood out". It was kind of funny, honestly. I might one day pick a piece of clothing that I thought was so cool and bold, and then when it came time to wear it, I would clam up. I was afraid that it might backfire; that the other kids would judge me negatively or think I was weird for wearing it. So instead of wearing the clothing I was proud of, I'd hold off, wear the normal stuff I am use to until I couldn't avoid the new clothes anymore.

Spoiler

I kid you not. When I was in elementary, I had this white knit sweater that I thought was pretty cool. However, before I had a chance to wear it, I saw another kid wearing something similar to school. All the kids made fun of him because the sweater looked too girly. So I avoided wearing the same thing; thinking that I'd only receive the same fate. ...But then one day, my mother forced me to wear it to school, and thankfully I was spared the humiliation. Still, it could have been me!

But as an adult, things have changed, and I honestly don't care what people think about my wardrobe. Part of it is getting out of school, learning that these peer groups and these peer pressures don't always follow you beyond school, that you now have more freedom to be yourself and a lot less pressure from the outside world to conform. Part of it is because I got a bit more proactive about clothing and style, choosing for myself what I want to wear rather than just accepting what I am given. Another part of it is how I have taken time to learn the various different levels of casual, formal, and mixed casual, so I know how to dress for just about any occasion. Part of it is realizing someone would have to be a VERY shallow and self-loathing person just for judging someone based on what they wear!

But maybe the biggest reason why there is change is because... I am tired of just trying to fit in. It's a losing battle. Someone is going to notice what you are wearing, no matter what! Sometimes they'll have negative thoughts, sometimes they'll have positive thoughts, and most times they'll keep those thoughts to themselves. It's not worth the headaches trying to please everyone, because you never will. I'd rather just be myself and live how I want to live. :coco:

39 minutes ago, Winter Storm said:

My parents were hardly that strict so I don't know why I am so concerned about it. I know some guys who will go around wearing MLP shirts or merch but I just can't bring myself to do that despite how important it is to me. I also can't help but feel I look ugly to others. All plays a huge part in how hopeless things seem to me.

Ok i will wear my MLP shirt but i wear a zip up sweatshirt over it most of the time >_<..... I love MLP but people just look at you like you are some freak furry or something..... 

My parents won't THAT strict... it was more when i lived with my grandma like i couldn't even wear shorts out or like short dresses without her scolding me... 

29 minutes ago, Starlighty said:

Ok i will wear my MLP shirt but i wear a zip up sweatshirt over it most of the time >_<..... I love MLP but people just look at you like you are some freak furry or something..... 

My parents won't THAT strict... it was more when i lived with my grandma like i couldn't even wear shorts out or like short dresses without her scolding me... 

Yeah I know what you mean and it's worse for guys because there is a lot more judgement about it.

2 minutes ago, Starlighty said:

Oh i bet... i'm sorry you have to deal with that...

It's fine, I don't think it would make any difference in my life even if was comfortable  enough to wear such shirts and be honest about it to everyone. I'd just really love to meet other individuals who cared about pony in my area.