Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you believe in ghosts?

Member Berry

I don't believe in anything in insufficient evidence, so no.

Despite being a complete atheist, I practically know spirits exist. From the amount of times my cats have reacted strangely to nothing being there, to me seeing the spirits of my pets who passed, and even being out on vacation/out in public and feeling, or seeing something. At this point, denying it would make me look like an idiot.

The cat thing is completely insubstantial.  That's not viable evidence.  As for the rest...well, all I can say is that if so many people are convinced that spirits are real, than why doesn't it have a formal place in the canon of factual science?  (And yes, if spirits were real, then they would absolutely constitute science.  Science is simply an attempt to understand the way that the world and the universe is.  Whatever exists is a part of that.)  Why, I wonder, is there no hard evidence, evaluated by experts, and openly discussed in the academic world?  If spirits are real, then why don't they hold the same place in our discourse as molecules or light waves, or other things that can't be seen with the naked eye?  Instead, spirits are exiled to the same place in our culture as UFO sightings and alien abduction.  Every report of spiritual encounter is either hearsay, easily faked, or a hallucination.  (And don't underestimate the power of the brain.  It can easily make us see or hear just about anything that's not there, as well as prevent us from seeing and hearing what is there.  And a person doesn't need to be "crazy" to experience such a phenomenon.)  Every show or documentary about spirit encounters seems to be either appealing to wishful thinking, or just an outright "ghost story", because people like that kind of thing.  Hell, the other day I watched a youtube video on the top ten "real" ghost sightings in the world because it was entertaining.  I will not pay ghosts, spirits, or whatever you want to call them, any heed until the day that the "science of spirits" has a place in our college textbooks, right between quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.

I don't know how I feel about it. I believe there are things we can't sometimes explain. 

My dog keeps randomly barking at thin air in the bathroom and wagging her tail. My mother's convinced it's ghosts. It's weird but I don't think it's a "ghost" exactly.

It very well could be.  I've spoken with a gentleman who thinks his house is haunted by the spirit of a little girl and thats the kinda stuff that goes on.   You might get an infrared camera  set up and see what you find.  My mother said that she used to see a ghost occasionally floating outside her window in the house she lived in when she was growing up.  I no longer question the separate physical existence of the spirit however sublime.    People in Japan certainly can't really afford to, their island is one big haunted house

Ghosts, spirits, phantoms, rephaim, whatever you call them, I believe in them.

I've had some strange occurrences with things that may be described as such, sure, but due to an intense fear of ghosts and demons, I tend to shy away from them, so there's not much else I can say other than I don't want anything to do with them. :adorkable:

(edited)

Let me start by saying; no, I do not believe in ghosts. Though if they were real, you should have no reason to fear them.

1: If the ghost is hanging out in your house, it is probably someone you know, and they are just hanging out or watching over you.

2: Ghosts can't hurt you.

3: Even if they could, they wouldn't, because if a ghost accidentally killed you, then you would turn into a ghost and it would become REALLY awkward.

*Edit:

1.5: If it wasn't someone you know then they would either be actively trying to get rid of you or would have already left. 

Or they are just really creepy and enjoy seeing you naked in the bathroom.
(still nothing to worry about)

Edited by Babyyoshi309

I abso-frickin-lutely do. I might have watched way too many movies or videos about ghosts but I still really do believe in them. Meaning spirits and all that in general.

It is happened 8 years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw on my bed black silhouette in the form of a cat. I could not move because I was frightened. But when I blink, this thing is gone. I do not know what it was.

It is happened 8 years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw on my bed black silhouette in the form of a cat. I could not move because I was frightened. But when I blink, this thing is gone. I do not know what it was.

Yokai_Tale_by_point2point-1024x494.jpg

I highly suspect that an entity such as a ghost that is not composed of matter but very subtle energy can be influenced in its physical appearance by the observer.  This would explain in part the cultural distinctions in their appearance.

I really do believe they exist.

Honestly, even if there aren't "Ghosts" something is out there, for sure.

Life is way too simple to just be life and death. I personally believe there has to be more out there. Whether it be Heaven and hell or something entirely different. I'm not religious but I will not just think nothing is out there. Seems kinda boring, anyways to think that way.

Ghosts aren't what i would immediately jump to as a cause. Maybe it's because I don't believe in ghosts.

The long answer to this post however would be to research and attempt to understand why is your dog barking.

I've always believed in ghosts, spirits, supernatural, and also I've always been really interested in the paranormal. It's quite a fascinating subject for me :P

(edited)

I don't believe in ghosts because they aren't exist but djinns are ;)

The ghosts that you believe in actually are djinns :)

Edited by Rainbow Mika

I highly suspect that an entity such as a ghost that is not composed of matter but very subtle energy can be influenced in its physical appearance by the observer. This would explain in part the cultural distinctions in their appearance.

Maybe. Or they can choose in what shape to be.

Yes,because i saw one in real life.

Would you like to tell about the experience? Only if you don't mind me asking of course.

I'm not sure if I truly believe in ghosts or not. I like to believe the romanticized idea of spirits remaining on this world as proof to myself that there is something after death (the thought of nothing terrifies me), but the lack of definitive proof both in a professional sense and on a personal level leaves me doubting it. There are things that happen that seem to escape logical explanation and it would be nice (or not depending on whether it was malevolent or not) that a ghost/spirit was behind it. Are there a different kind of ghosts that exist in our world, though? Possibly ghosts from another world? Perhaps there are "ghosts" of ourselves from alternate timelines/dimensions that sometimes cross into our own and cause these unexplained phenomena of even the smallest things like something being moved form a different place where you left it when no one else was around, because possibly you in another world did move that and something has caused that to resonate into our world. Odd and different sort of sci-fi slant of a theory to it, but who knows.

Would you like to tell about the experience? Only if you don't mind me asking of course.

The Experience was when i was in middle school,it was in the evening or late afternoon,i was with a bunch of mates roaming around the school,we saw a cleaner just sweeping the floor near the toilet.So we just walked around abit then return to the toilet,we didn't see the cleaner but we saw a silouhette wearing the cleaner's shoe.So we panicked and ran for our lives

(edited)

People thought my old high school was haunted. My high school was actually an old castle :P It was like Hogwarts. I've never seen/heard anything there but people would sometimes hear music from the music classes when nobody was there which is weird.

Edited by Kayleigh

I don't know how I feel about it. I believe there are things we can't sometimes explain. 

My dog keeps randomly barking at thin air in the bathroom and wagging her tail. My mother's convinced it's ghosts. It's weird but I don't think it's a "ghost" exactly.

I've been watching Ghost Adventures lately too and think there's a lot of odd things going on there. Of course some of it could be set up but if half of that is real then it's really odd.

What do you think?

I don't believe in the type of video game/movie ghosts. I do certainly believe in spirits. But not in ghosts. Your dog is most probably barking at a bird or fly or something. But that's just my opinion. :P

The Experience was when i was in middle school,it was in the evening or late afternoon,i was with a bunch of mates roaming around the school,we saw a cleaner just sweeping the floor near the toilet.So we just walked around abit then return to the toilet,we didn't see the cleaner but we saw a silouhette wearing the cleaner's shoe.So we panicked and ran for our lives

This sounds certainly interesting, even more so because it happened at a school. I wonder if it was a ghost of someone who had formerly been working as a cleaner. I believe that the entity wouldn't probably have hurt you 

I also have a thing related to a school - while I was in primary school, the older pupils would often gossip about something that they had seen during night school. They apparently had seen a weird figure in the attic, floating and having a twisted face or something. That could easily be faked or lied about but for a child like me it was spooky. Then after about two years a group of pupils (including me) brought glowsticks to school and decided to go to the bathroom to test them out. A bunch of minutes after switching off all the lights and admiring the glowsticks, one girl started to scream and cry. She told us that she had seen something weird in the mirror. After experiencing that kind of things it felt like the ghost story of the attic wasn't so far-fetched after all.

• 2 years later...

I could care less about ghosts being real or not, but I do think they are real, just not common in my opinion. (No, I don't believe in spirits nor am I religious)

I would be more worried about zombie and monsters, but only if they actually did exist.