Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you have trouble with when you first joined the forums?

Hypn0ticD

'Search' has been off and on broken since I joined. When this is not working several other enhancements (My Content for example) also break.

Even when it works it isn't really as useful as it could be. What is odd is trying to use search for a member and seeing old or no avatars. Not the same underlying issue, but another search problem.

I have gotten into the habit of relying on Google site search to find people or topics.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, nothing that I know of. I pretty much understood how things worked right off the bat. But then again, I was already used to forums when I joined so maybe it's not that strange.

The only thing I can think of is the thing @@Jeric, mentioned above me. I don't remember if the search function was better back in 2011/2012 but I do remember that I always had trouble with finding things with it.. The truth is, I still do. Cause it sucks, and now I only use google as well.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, wasn't planning on letting this thread become inactive!

The life bus hit me and I have to study for my new job, but I'll see if I can at least start typing up a guide for mentions at least by next weekend!

Until then, feel free to continue posting whatever it was you had trouble with!

I still don't really know how to mention members. These newfangled contraptions you young'uns use these days... The quote button is where it's at and is where it will always be at!

I had been using forums for nearly a decade before this forum was created... I'm a seasoned forumer and set in my ways. =P

• 4 months later...

Spoiler tag....

Whenever other users made use of it I felt like they were using some form of witchcraft O_O 

Also, Roleplay,

Before I joined my first one a year ago, I didn't even know RPs was a thing that existed, I didn't even know how to write the words o_o. Looking back on it now, The RP section will always be one of my favourite places over here . ^ ^

Relating with people in general. I only joined because Lord Bababa (a good friend of mine, from another community, who no longer goes here I think) said I should join, so I did.

But now, I'm having a great time and have many friends here!

• Brohoof 2

To be honest I don't recall having troubles with the forums. Maybe I was slightly confused about ranks and how to make a signature, since at first I didn't know it is blocked until you'll get a certain amount of active posts. But thanks to that news box at the top, there was a FAQ with that, so everything was clear since then.  :-P

Besides, MLP forums aren't the first IPB forums I'm a member of, so I had some experience when joining these forums, but still, I don't recall having any troubles with the first forums either. I admit I was kinda confused by the Special BBCode list, but googling things answered all my questions pretty quickly.

And weeeell, I was playing some browser games when I was a kid - to setup a profile page and stuff like this, there weren't any buttons - I had to look up for BBCodes and put them manually into the editor. Ah I remember spending hours on writing complex formatting like putting many colors and such. It's basically the same thing as switching the BBCode Mode in this editor by clicking the very first button on the upper-left corner. To this day, this button is EXTREMELY helpful as it helps me fix the formatting, because sometimes it breaks. IPB v.4's text editor doesn't have that button, which is terrible. Many of my posts broke and I was unable to fix them without clicking stuff around and copy&pasting everything until it fixes itself. Now these were troubles, that I can't handle to this day.

Oh and about mentioning - I didn't even know it was possible at the beginning, but since we're generally using '@membername' when referring to somebody on the internet, an auto-fill option popped out once, which was a nice discover. =P

In fact, these forums use a different way to mention, but I'm highlighting others's posts pretty often - when trying to quote (copy&paste a part) or something, and then I've discovered that mention function as well as quoting highlighted part with a single click.

I admit, that a FAQ like this would be helpful for new members.

Including how to mention and how to quote a part of the post would be nice, because some members are quoting the whole posts to notify somebody. That being said, my quotes ended up being more than 90% of the post's content few times, which is kinda inconvenient.  :twi: Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind it that much, but these handy options are really worth using. x3

Since this forum prefers using attachments, due to limited number of allowed outsite images, I'd also suggest including 'how to use attachments' as well as 'My Media' button in the FAQ. Few tips etc. would help I believe. Some people even have troubles with posting outside images themselves, so even a quick tutorial about uploading images to image-hosting sites and then posting them there wouldn't hurt.  :)

There's always that 'Code' BBCode, but that's not needed on these forums anyway.

• Brohoof 2

As stupid as it sounds, I wasn't sure whether or not to use everyone or everypony, and that kind of stuff because I saw some people doing it and others not. (don't judge me)

• Brohoof 2

Hmm...Two things come to mind! 

When I was new, I struggled for the longest time trying to find out how I could create a custom member title. It wasn't until months later that I figured out why I couldn't. :P 

I also remember searching through every single setting on here and on the Poniverse page to make my account private/anonymous. I was convinced that there was a glitch on my end! Eventually I found out that it was something I needed to ask for. :derp: 

• Brohoof 2

This forum in particular? Nothing. When I first joined here there was another forum prior that I attended and still regularly do which also uses the IP.Board forum software. I'd say the biggest trouble when joining a forum is finding out which section will be your favourite. :P

• Brohoof 1

At first, I had trouble with using emoticons in iOS as I learned that you'll have to type them out to get them because it's not the full text editor unlike PC.

Second would be when my profile views were frozen for about the first month I joined but that's fixed and thanks for getting that resolved!

Lastly would be attaching pictures in PM's as you'll need to host them in a separate photo hosting website because you can't upload and attached pics there like posting in the forums. Unless, there's a way or something I'm missing...?

Generally, everything is running pretty great for me now.

• Brohoof 1

Lastly would be attaching pictures in PM's as you'll need to host them in a separate photo hosting website because you can't upload and attached pics there like posting in the forums. Unless, there's a way or something I'm missing...?

Attachments in PM's are available to subscribers and donors, FYI.

• Brohoof 1

Attachments in PM's are available to subscribers and donors, FYI.

Thank you, Feld0. That explains why I can't find any attachment options anywhere in PM's. If you don't mind a question, how do you receive private sign out times when you sign off?

Thank you, Feld0. That explains why I can't find any attachment options anywhere in PM's. If you don't mind a question, how do you receive private sign out times when you sign off?

That comes with anonymous logon, where you are private while being signed on. PM an MLPF Administrator to have you account set to anon/private

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello site management,

I'm brand new and this is my first-ever forum of any kind. I am finding it to be a veritable jungle in here. It's self-explanatory as far as where what sort of posts go where, but for a "blank flank" like myself, it's beyond frustrating to get my post number up. I am doing my best to follow the rules and stick to the areas where I "should" post certain topics, but I wanted to talk about the theme song, so I went to the area where the episodes are spoken about and thought ok, Season 1 Eps 1&2 should work- but found they were polls, that I cannot answer, and there is no way to create new posts.

I am mostly interested in creating my OC pony and also offering my skills for commission, but I cannot post any of my pictures directly from my device's memory without first increasing my rank, and it seems the only places I have any interest in posting in aren't allowed. It's enough to make one quit before they really start. :(

Sincerely,

~*~Color Song~*~

Hey @@Color Song! First of all, welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

I wanted to talk about the theme song, so I went to the area where the episodes are spoken about and thought ok, Season 1 Eps 1&2 should work- but found they were polls, that I cannot answer, and there is no way to create new posts.

If you want to discuss the theme song, the Show Discussion section is where you want to post. Based on what you said, I'm assuming you checked the Season 1 Discussion sub-section - you can't create threads in the season discussion sections, since there already are topics for each episode there.

but found they were polls, that I cannot answer

I cannot post any of my pictures directly from my device's memory without first increasing my rank

You need the 'Muffin' rank (5 posts) to vote on polls and add attachments to your posts - you do have that rank now, so you should be able to do both of 'em.

Also, if you are interested in creating a commission shop, please contact one of the administrators for approval first. Of course, you can open request shops or art showcases if you'd like, but commission shops require admin approval first.

Anyway, I hope this answered your questions, please don't hesitate to ask if you want clarification on anything, or have more questions. :)

• Brohoof 1

When I registered, I was constantly feeling like I had already done something punishable when my first posts were moderated; that was before getting to the muffin rank. Do I remember the rank thing correctly? At least it had something to do with ranks.