Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Zelda fans, do you like other entries better than OoT?

SUPERFOX5

Now before you go full rage on me, I need to clarify: Ocarina of Time IS a good game, just not my favorite. I love OoT a lot, but other games have come after that and I have played those more.

Wind Waker I find is my favorite in the series, the cartoon look, the cel shading, the atmosphere, and story telling that continued after Ocarina!

I find a lot of moments in that game that made me feel like I am on a real adventure of a life time across the vast sea!

As for anyone else, do you have a favorite that surpasses OoT? If not, that is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with favoring OoT.

• Brohoof 1

I've always felt OoT to be the weakest in the series. It's not bad, but I always felt like it gets more credit than it deserves tbh.

I prefer Majora's Mask, which is my favorite, and even Skyward Sword was more enjoyable for me.

• Brohoof 2

I think my favorite is LttP, followed by Twilight Princess.  Saying this might get me attacked, but in many ways, I always felt like Twilight Princess was the Ocarina of Time that Ocarina of Time should have been.  That said, Ocarina is still a masterpiece, but not my favorite.  I'll take Twilight any day.  I'm also one of the only people on Earth that liked Majora's Mask.  It also figures that I'm one of the only people who liked FFXIII: Lighting Returns.  I guess I just like that sort of time limit thing and playing through multiple times to get everything.

• Brohoof 1

I got to Ocarina fairly late, but it wouldn't even crack my top 5 for the series, which for me consists of The Minish Cap, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, and Tbe Wind Waker. Ocarina is great in its own right, but it was way overhyped for me.

• Brohoof 1

Ocarina of Time is my favorite of the series, but I am currently playing through Link's Awakening DX and I am really enjoying it. Also really enjoyed Twilight Princess and what I played of Majora's Mask. I need to play through Wind Waker as well.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed playing OOT when it was first released and it will still be a favorite of mine, but I have always loved the darker games so I love Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess more then OOT, but Majora's Mask being my favorite I just like the creepiness and the story they put behind Majora's Mask especially the Ikana Canyon I cracked up laughing at the gibdos it looked like they were dancing before they went into the ground.

Well As a LoZ player and fan, I just Play every LoZ game other than TP and Skyward Sword. I don't hate or like OoT, but every LoZ game is an adventure and challenge to me regardless if there are puzzle rooms and tough enemies ahead. The only LoZ games I prefer playing the most are Minish Cap, Oracles, Link's Awakening (both original and DX), Hyrule Warriors (spin-off. Both original and legends), Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and A link to the past (both SNES and GBA).

Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite of the series. The game just comes off as beautiful to me + Skull Kid is one of my favorite characters, he's my child. 

I never got into Zelda games (I can acknowledge that they're good but I'm really bad at them) so Majora's Mask was a rare occasion.

• Brohoof 1

I always though OoT was hailed as being something greater than it actually is, and I don't really enjoy it much myself. but I'd say exactly the same for other zelda games too. That said, Wind waker isn't just my favourite zelda game, it's my favourite game of all time, but it still obviously has flaws, especially the GC version

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

OoT's is a fantastic game, but I felt underwhelmed when I first played it considering it's reputation. I always preferred A Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and Link's Awakening

That said, sometimes I feel it suffers from FF7 Syndrome where people rip on it just for being one of the more popular games in the series 

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Even though I am not a huge Zelda fan, I would say that I highly enjoyed both A Link Between Worlds and Majora's Mask a lot.

I would say that I like both of them (especially the latter) more than OOT.

OoT will always hold a special place since it was the first zelda game I ever played. But my favorite would have to be Majoras Mask. I really liked the darker plot and it really made you feel for the characters. My favorite part/area of the game as ikana canyon it had a really creepy atmosphere and the backstory is really interesting. I also liked the symbolism in the stone tower temple it really deepens the story a bit. The stone tower temple theory really does explain a lot if it is true. http://zeldauniverse.net/2006/11/03/the-stone-tower-why-termina-was-doomed/

I think OOT was a fantastic game at the time, not sure if it was better than ALTTP (I prefer this one). Problem is, at this time, is still over hyped as the best Zelda ever, but truth is, it didn't passed the test of time with flying colors. Sure, it has aged well compared to other popular games of the time, but it still aged. I think ALTTP aged FAR better than OOT, not to mention MM being more immersive, darker, enjoyable, and unique not only to the Zelda series, but to the undustry in general. WW is better because the gameplay, animations, art style, dungeons, huge world, secrets, etc, despite suffering from it's sometimes tiring sailing and at least two dungeons cut from the game. TP..... not sure, sometimes it feels too much like OOT to me, not to mention that the opening is TOO long to amerit further playthroughts. Phantom Hourglass has some strong points from WW, toned down to fit the DS, but still strong enough to feel excited, not to mention it has ton to do, and keep you expectant of what could happen next. It major flaw being going through the main temple over and over, but I would consider better than OOT. Spirit Tracks... seriously, if I consider PH better than OOT, this, being better than PH need no explanation

I'm not that big of a Zelda fan, but I thought Wind Waker and Majora's Mask were better than both Ocarina of Time, and Ocarina of Time 2: Guns of the Patriots Twilight Princess.

I haven't played Skyward Sword. It looks pretty good, but many people don't seem to like it for some reason.

I love Zelda II (yeah, the black sheep in the series, but it presented a difficulty that no other Zelda game has had, especially with the hand holding in today's games.) Ocarina of Time is a great game, and I still enjoy it whenever I go through it, but mechanic wise, it stands nowhere near the later games like Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. Sure it has brought forth 3D Zelda, but where exactly does it stand now? The 3DS version may have given a little justice, but not all that much. 

Again I love Zelda II and TP even though I only went through the game once. I also love A Link Between Worlds.

Ocarina of Time was a great game, and it was well made, but there was some monotony to it. I'd have to say the same about Majora's Mask. I personally like Twilight Princess the best (not because Princess Twilight). Twilight Princess keeps you on a path so that you don't feel too bored, but at the same time, it still has an open world and a few side-quests to keep you busy. I felt Skyward Sword was too simple, and it just didn't have as much depth to it. However, I did enjoy the Lighting Round minigame. Fighting previous bosses with better equipment and more experience was always a fun concept to me.

(edited)

OOT will always be my favorite because of the shift to 3D type game play which was SO amazing after having played only 2D and side scrolling for so long. No other zelda game has made such an impression as that initial paradigm shift. After that, yes, the zeldas improved in graphics and whatnot. However, each game after had something about it that I hated. Twilight Wii version was terrible on controls. The game cube version played much better. Skyward sword sucked in the controls department. For me, the game play has to be super convenient for saving and collecting and keeping items (looking at you MM), fun side quests that are optional, good warp utility, to name just a few things. You get the idea tho. OOT had everything you need and nothing you don't in my opinion. It's the one I keep coming back to over and over even with newer installments. It just can't be beat.

Edited by Lexamena

My favorite two are actually Majora's mask and Wind Waker, I have always had a thing for masks and I always had a thing for the ocean. But game wise, yes, OoT is really good, but I like the idea of riding around in a boat going island to island strikes me more as fun! Plus you can drops a huge crane out of said boat and fish for chests!!!

• 2 years later...

OoT is my favorite but the other games come close if not are as good as ocarina of time. But OoT will be my favorite because it was the first zelda game in 3d, and pulling that off can be hard. (Prime example is sonic adventure, that game has not aged well at ALL)  But Ocarina of time almost perfected it. (And also cause it was the first zelda game I beat.. :mlp_please:)

Well, I must say, BotW has taken the spot of MY favorite Zelda, after years MM being in it. BotW is some good shit, I'm telling you, and this is coming from a 90s kid who owns the 1.1v of the game :fluttershy: