Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Special Edition

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

It is real! At Bethesda's 2016 E3 conference, it was announced that Skyrim, a game that is quite legendary, will be getting a 'special edition' which is basically a remastered version of the game for next gen consoles and PC. It will have updated graphics that look vastly improved, most likely all DLC included and even mods on consoles! This to me sounds incredible as I loved Skyrim before and being able to play it like this will be wonderful. :)

Here is the trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmSHuuiw320

So anyone else excited for this like I am? ^__^

• Brohoof 1

It looks beautiful, but I think it's a bit unfair to console players that they're charging full retail price for this remaster. PC players get it scott free, while also getting more out of it as it adds support for Direct X 11.

It's like "Hey, you want graphics that are roughly on par with higher end PC's? Cough up $60 again please."

• Brohoof 1

It looks beautiful, but I think it's a bit unfair to console players that they're charging full retail price for this remaster. PC players get it scott free, while also getting more out of it as it adds support for Direct X 11.

It's like "Hey, you want graphics that are roughly on par with higher end PC's? Cough up $60 again please."

I did not know what the price would be, a tad shocked they are going full $60, so I can see where that is not appealing to some. For me though, I am still totally on board. Highly upgraded graphics with all of the DLC AND mods on consoles? Sign me up. :)

Yeah that's pretty crap. On top of that, no confirmation if it's optimized better this time. It'll be pretty shit to get the game again for another $60 and then we find out the game still runs at 30FPS and is choppy with poor loads.

I am not buying until I can confirm the performance issues with the consoles have actually been addressed this time.

Yeah that's pretty crap. On top of that, no confirmation if it's optimized better this time. It'll be pretty shit to get the game again for another $60 and then we find out the game still runs at 30FPS and is choppy with poor loads.

I am not buying until I can confirm the performance issues with the consoles have actually been addressed this time.

To my knowledge, it is still locked at 30fps. I can only hope for PS4 players that it has a better time performance wise than the horribly plagued PS3 version.

No Oblivion remaster ? :confused:

Oh well, even 10 years later, it still looks pretty good anyway. :grin:

They already confirmed a Morrowind/Oblivion remaster is never going to happen. Too time-consuming and I quote: "Alienating newer fans." :dry:

• Brohoof 1

To my knowledge, it is still locked at 30fps. I can only hope for PS4 players that it has a better time performance wise than the horribly plagued PS3 version.

It won't, Bethesda never does sadly. :c

I think it looks frickin dope. I have always been a fan of the series, even though I have not purchased any of the newer games. I am looking forward to it, and I really want to get it.

The whole atmosphere is skyrim is great.

They already confirmed a Morrowind/Oblivion remaster is never going to happen. Too time-consuming and I quote: "Alienating newer fans." :dry:

Have they gone beyond logic? :blink: It's the same as refusing to show the classic Star Wars films due to so-called fear to upset the new fans.

Have they gone beyond logic? :blink: It's the same as refusing to show the classic Star Wars films due to so-called fear to upset the new fans.

Apparently, they feel that most people wouldn't have the patience for outdated mechanics, such as Morrowind having huge amounts of unvoiced text to read or Oblivion with its grindy leveling system. Y'know Beth, they are determined to make their games more and more "streamlined" so that the average gamer doesn't get turned away from it. Fallout 4 is a prime example.

they are determined to make their games more and more "streamlined" so that the average gamer doesn't get turned away from it.

Problem for them since I'm not the "average gamer". I still play old non-streamlined games like Daggerfall :lol:.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That's sad, Oblivion had these little things that made it a great game.

For example, in Skyrim, I was really disapointed when I finished the 4 guilds quests. Warrior guild was OK. Thieves guild, I don't really know what to think about it. Dark brotherhood.. It had some secondary missions, which were nice, but the rest was questionable to be honest. Finally, the mages guild was a big ??? to me.

I really felt like they lasted for much longer, with better missions and scenarios in Oblivion. Warrior guild was confronted to harsh competition which could have made them question their morality. Mages guild lasted for long and had an actual objective, to fight necromancy. Thief guild, last mission was great, I don't remember the rest though. Dark Brotherhood had a dark atmosphere, dark events, a true ending.

Skyrim was still a great game though.

Edited by ConcorDisparate

(edited)

As neat as it looks, I don't plan on buying it unless there's new official content in it. Otherwise, why would I pay $60 for a game I already have? I did read that if people have the PC version with all the DLC then they will receive the Special Edition for free.

I'm currently a bit nervous to allow mods in my game, I wouldn't want them to ruin my game if they didn't work properly.

Edited by Coco Crusoe
  • Brohoof 1

Huh. I guess I'd better get the Dawnguard DLC before Oct 28th so I get the free upgrade, since that's the only one I don't own on my Steam version of the game. $20 is better than paying $60.

I might be excited for it if I couldn't already mod the PC version to make it look just as good.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it's neat, but this a problem with the game industry that annoys me.  Rather than making new games, devs just release remastered games on next gen.  It makes you wonder what you should buy.  If you get sucked into this trend, you'll find yourself going, "Well, should I play this now?  Should I wait and play it in a few years when they re-release it with better graphics and dlc and crap?  Should I wait and see if it works better on next gen?"  What a bunch of crap, I say.  You shouldn't have to have that sort of debate.  I finished Skyrim, through and through.  Now I feel soured that I could have experienced it this way, which is exactly what the devs want.  It's a tactic to suck you back in.  But I'm not going to replay this when there's countless other games that I've never played.  (I still have Red Dead Redemption in my "to play" pile for Celestia's sake.)  So, yeah, it's a frustrating trend.

It won't, Bethesda never does sadly. :c

Sh*t, dude, ain't it the truth.  That's why I want nothing to do with this.  It the next gen console, but the graphics have been ramped up so much that it's still gonna run like crap.  The only way you'd have truly good experience is to play the PS3 version on PS4.  Eh, even then it probably won't work.  That's why I'd rather just play something that works, like God of War.

• 5 years later...

I really played too much Skyrim and I love that game. Never had so much time to play Skyrim SE. From what I've played I can say it is just as fun and Skyrim SE came with a couple of less bugs like the annoying mouse cursor problem when you tabbed out of the game. There have been mods to fix it already but it is really nice that you didn't have to anymore. But I came across a couple of Skyrim SE only bugs, still was really great to see it. Now I'm waiting and hoping for the best for a Part Six.

I definitely played to much of Skyrim from 2011 to 2015 xD

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

Real talk

2016 Kyoshi is adorable~

This sums up my feelings years later nyaha

I love Skyrim and Elder Scrolls but how many times can you re release the same gameee, sure Super Mario Bros has been remastered a lot but that's through the generations, I think theres more versions of Skyrim than there are other ES releases, it's a masterpiece but duuude

Wheres the love for Daggerfall and Morrowind!? Oblivion probably needs a remaster most, with all its bugs.

...though I consider them to be art.

• Brohoof 1