Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would it be a bad idea if we taught the ponies about humanity?

radiance62

(edited)

I was wondering, let's say a human went to Equestria, the ponies met him, made contact with human race for the first time and the ponies particularly Twilight wanted to learn about the history of humanity.

In order not to scare the ponies, should the human just tell them the bright side of humanity or the dark side of humanity as well, including all the atrocities humans have committed such as WW1 and WW2?

Scaring the ponies is not something I would ever do because It will be cruel if I do.

Edited by radiance62

I bet the ponies would freak out because of all the shady things happening in the human world. Even though the truth may be cruel, I feel like it would be important to tell them about the dark things as well. Especially if the ponies would be willing to visit the human world some time too, so it wouldn't be a bitter surprise.

I still think that the nicer things would be better to tell first, though.  :rarity:

(edited)

This is quite an uneven cultural exchange, given that mlp is rated Y while humanity's history would probably be MA if it were a TV show. Some of the ponies are going to freak out, just like how some of us freak out when we look back at history, but I'm sure there are some ponies who could take it in.

Equestria has its dark moments too, but since everything has to be kept at a Y level, it's not going to be nearly as dark as humanity, or at the very least, the very dark aspects of Equestria are never going to be shown in the show at all.

With that being said, I'll be straightforward. Humanity had a dark and bloody history. However, it is also this dark and bloody history that allowed us to grow and improve. True, every now and then some of us think of new ways to do something messed up, but as a response some of us also think of new ways to improve ourselves upon that.

Edited by Solid
  • Brohoof 1

Well I'm pretty sure someone can eloquently pass off a sugarcoated twisted truth covering the horribleness of everything humanity has ever done.

For example, instead of telling them about drone strikes on villages in the middle east, we could simply say we were holding a model airplane contest. Or be blunt and tell them about the drone strikes, hope they don't get it, and ignore any question the ponies might have.

Ponies and Humans should never ever meet. Our past regarding All of Europe and especially anything that remotely involves religion and the history of religion, our world wars and ...well basically everything really, should go no where near ponies. I see a pony genocide if we come into contact with them. 

We need to stay away from each other as far as possible because they will all die if we discover one another and there is nothing we bronies could do to stop the muslims, the evangilists and the U.S government from annihilating them all. We would die along with them and the ponies world would be cored out and used for the new homebase for Isis and American oil refineries. 

• Brohoof 1

If we did tell the ponies about humanity, they'd probably freak out and assume the human species is terrible.

But when they found Starlight's village, they immediately decided it was a good idea to fix the situation and make everything right again. There's a chance the ponies would do the same for humanity, although fixing the entire human race and making everything sweet and happy seems like an awfully large challenge for cartoon horses.

Such things are not shown in Equestria for being a family show. While i believe social negatives aspects are lower in Equestria compared to ours, I doubt ponies are stranger to violence, murder, domestic abuse, other unexcusable things, etc. Just look Sombra's alt timeline, ponies were willing to go to war, EVEN PINKS. What I'd fear them learning about us, is that there are some cultures where is custom to eat horses

I wouldn't want to corrupt their lovely world by introducing them to ours. Granted, the truth belongs to everybody, but that doesn't mean I want to dirty their world with it unless I had prefaced it with some serious warnings, disclaimers and appropriate MPAA rating. 

Hopefully they would simply regard any concept of this world as many would regard Bigfoot, UFOs and other unexplained phenomena, and just dismiss it as too absurd to believe.  :ooh:

• Brohoof 1

Ponies seem to have a mixed bag when it comes to understanding different people. Zecora was terribly ostracized while the Griffons and Saddle Arabians are respected, and the original three tribes had some pent up hatred for each other before they banded together. Even then, they were much, much better than how humanity reacts to foreign concepts.

And it also depends on how biased the human is in terms of history. A full, all-views included history from the agriculture revolution to modern society would definitely be a rough ride for both parties. 

And they might want to leave out Animal Husbandry.

Of course, despite the fact that the ponies are entirely fictional characters, I would sincerely hope that our hypothetical missionaries to an alien realm such as Equestria, would realize that the true crime and evil is preventing the peoples of any two planes of existence from learning more of and from each other. To suggest that our species is grounded in hate and ignorance would be hypocritical, considering the question is suggesting that if we ever meet some other beings, we should reject all our innate powers of empathy and communication because we think our history will "scare" them.

I get this topic is not that serious, but honestly it makes me sad somehow.  :(

The ponies should kill the human on sight and destroy the means that brought him to Equestria.

That really seems more like something a "human" would do.

• Brohoof 1

I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea, although, some would really want to know, (looking at you Lyra), but it wouldn't set much of a positive example... :please:

Let me see. Everyone pony was made powerless against their will, literally everyone in a whole nation. Their leader was shot down and fell to basically a terrorist attack. A new pony in town brainwashed everyone to act against their will. In their history they have a leader who enslaved a whole city and probably mined for crystals and malnurished and with informaiton left out for the children. Not much context was given lets be honest. Then someone literally changing the fabric of reality to play jokes on them at their psychological expense. Thats the equivalent of being in a VR not due to choice, then someone god-moding and changing everything making reality convenience them and inconvience you, it wouldn't be nice. So idk why everyone is assuming they would hate ponies, and ponies are used to racism from dragons too, or sexism? Then we got nobles in equestria who are basically elitist, which is psychologically the same thing as racism. Then in that episode the w/e and the mccolts a pony was l;iterally going to bash another pony in the head with a shovel swung overhead with effort as the other is on the ground. I would say that equestria is more mature than you all assume because of your confirmation bias and cherry picking and value of your own emotions yada yada. But the fact is there are constant monsters nearly that are their wild animals. I mean arguably they could handle us easily, they have magic, then can deflect bullets or use guns telekinetically, and I doubt you wanna get kicked by a horse, so they would do fine in a knife fight too. Sure ww2 might shock them because of the massacres and stuff but its nothing worse than a world version of the w/es and the mccolts. So they obviously have seen it before. And I saw some video which I cannot find on youtube anymore, which is a joke video that points out how the cutie map is not telling them everything wrong with equestria all at once. It took them time to find the mccolts, it didn't just list every single problem at once, its neglecting telling them. And thats important because it implies theres stuff already going on we do not know about. Which means yes we can prolly infer that when Sombra ruled the crystal empire some died mining, and prolly some were forced into relations to say it kindly. So how is America even that bad, they never have demi-gods, just some nukes that no one in their right mind would set off for decades. Most of what I listed happened in half a decade. This is like yearly 9/11s for them almost. Every other year more likely. So I think they could definitely get used to it, besides its already dangerous for ponies to hang out with dragons, for them its just gonna be the same deal. They won't assimilate just some diplomatic visits and stuff.  Then you don't need to worry about them getting assassinated because ponies have plot devices working in their favor.

Well I'm pretty sure someone can eloquently pass off a sugarcoated twisted truth covering the horribleness of everything humanity has ever done.

In other words, Sugarcoat shouldn't be the human sent to the human world to interact with the ponies. Sorry, couldn't resist.;)

I wouldn't say pony history is all roses anyways. Maybe ponies would understand our history. I mean, they've done some of the exact same things the human race has done. They just appear to be in a different era. There's definitely a lot we don't see that's kept below the surface, but the evidence is still there. Equestria is a land of harmony and is generally a wonderful place to live...as long as you're a pony. Ever notice that many other races hate the ponies? There might be a reason for that. Why is it that the princesses make sure the needs of all ponies are provided for, but Griffonstone looks like a literal ghetto. So, female cows live in herds and reside in a huge barn, are never allowed to enter Ponyville, but provide milk for it? Sounds like a fair deal to me...I'm just saying that there may be evidence that Equestria isn't all it's cracked up to be for races other than ponies. On a more general level, why do virtually all species live exclusively with members of their own species? Ponyville appears to be the exception, but other species still only make up a small percentage of its residents.

In order not to scare the ponies, should the human just tell them the bright side of humanity or the dark side of humanity as well, including all the atrocities humans have committed such as WW1 and WW2?

Only if they really want to know, but I do hope you tell them what they are about to hear is gonna freak them out.

I would personally tell them: "Get away from this planet and its inhabitants before it's too late."  

• 6 years later...

It's hard to say. I keep telling them, the history of humanity would make them appreciate the world. They live in a lot more. Opposed to our world.it could give them a bad perception of humanity, which would be very understandable, though, especially events like World War II

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are only two options - tell them nothing or tell them everything. While it may seem like black and white thinking, I don't think that it is logical to take the middle ground on this issue. To take the middle ground would be to tell the ponies half the truth about humanity. The problem with that is the ponies would then have an incorrect understanding of humanity. They would, depending on what you told them, either be unaware of humanity's evil and dark side or unaware of humanity's good side. If they are unaware of the dark side of humanity, they could be harmed thinking that humans are not a threat and finding it out the hard way. On the other hand, they could try to destroy humanity if they are unaware of their good side. Either way, I hold the belief that lying, even if it is only partial lying, is morally wrong in this instance and would lead to undesirable results. So, basically, it would be a bad idea to teach the ponies only half the truth about humanity, and it would be best if you told them nothing or told them everything.