Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How To Draw Ponies? / Program To Draw It?

Cube_Effect

I recently have the urge to get an art i wanted (Oc's or Other ponies), but since I have no tools for online credentials for commisions (No money too). I have to start drawing my own, Since i don't do good at drawing I really don't know how to draw ponies, And what kind of program should i use for making such beautiful artwork?. So i can impress my friends on my artwork

The pictures are examples of what artwork

(Yes i like shinodage, and he doesn't take commisions)

post-37872-0-11280600-1465986263_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Back when I used to draw, I used a program called Paint Tool SAI. Its very powerful and capable and it can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Also- you would need a tablet if you wanted to get great results, though in SAI there are some tools made for mouse which are brilliant.

You could also use Photoshop, though I find their brushes are not great for drawings & paintings, though you can always install brushes you find online. Photoshop doesn't really have any decent mouse drawing tools like SAI does however, not that I know of anyway, so if you don't have a tablet then there just wouldn't be point trying with it.

Mouse drawing isn't impossible, but you would need to have a hand with the steadiness and precision of a god. 

It depends on what you're willing to invest. If you're looking totally free, Paint.Net I hear is pretty good. If you are willing to drop a little coin, Paint Tool Sai is like $35 or something and it's definitely worth it. A drawing tablet is definitely a good investment and you can get a nice basic level one to start out with for relatively cheap these days. I use the Bamboo create but the new version is like less than $200. Wacom makes a nice little tablet that is like $100.

Drawing with a mouse is doable, but you will be looking at a steep learning curve. 

Sai with a simple tablet can produce stuff like this relatively quickly:

post-23806-0-59480800-1465989503_thumb.png

(edited)

I'm a fan of Adobe Photoshop. To which, I'm subscribed to their monthly payment plans. ($10/month)

For Budget Bronies, 

I suggest inkscape for line work and Sai for coloring and shading. 

Inkscape is Free , Sai is cheap. 

If you can't afford Sai then Gimp will do, it's free but a bit frustrating. 

Edited by Vitamin C

(edited)

FireAlpaca and MediBang Paint Pro are two rather impressive free pieces of software i like to use. although, i think your main problem is gonna be practicing. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-My-Little-Ponies

this was a good start for me, and gave me guidelines i use to this day. i suggest you work here, and before you invest too heavily in art programs, maybe try sketching a bit in traditional format. once you've gotten good with that--then it's time to move on, and start to make some truly impressive art.

but like i said, its gonna take a while. like...a while. like a while-while.

so...

Pzm0Jxq7.jpg

Edited by P-Jay
  • Brohoof 1

Well, If you're a techie type of guy (like me) and not the physical drawer (using free-hand like pen to pad) I suggest you try going into vectoring...

However, free-hand drawing/using a pad tends to be more easier contrary vectoring. For it is quite different than drawing lines into something great... Vectoring requires you make shapes that you need, manipulate them, and THEN make something great :3

So, if you're interested into vectoring, I suggest incscape/ponyscape, or gimp. (you can free draw like others in these but it's quite hard without a tablet AND they don't really have good brushes to use... but, they're free softwares!)

Otherwise, I suggest you start practicing with traditional pencil-paper, save money for SAI and a tablet, and have fun! :D

Well, If you're a techie type of guy (like me) and not the physical drawer (using free-hand like pen to pad) I suggest you try going into vectoring...

However, free-hand drawing/using a pad tends to be more easier contrary vectoring. For it is quite different than drawing lines into something great... Vectoring requires you make shapes that you need, manipulate them, and THEN make something great :3

So, if you're interested into vectoring, I suggest incscape/ponyscape, or gimp. (you can free draw like others in these but it's quite hard without a tablet AND they don't really have good brushes to use... but, they're free softwares!)

Otherwise, I suggest you start practicing with traditional pencil-paper, save money for SAI and a tablet, and have fun! :D

I don't know where to practice drawing part of the ponies or something from the Pencil and paper traditional art...

Before anything, I'd like to say that the art program won't make you a great artist right away. That is something that you are going to have to practice, whether you like it or not. Now...

The program I tend to use is Adobe Illustrator, but that is because I am a vector artist. If you really have the patience to learn how to build vectors, Illustrator is a fantastic tool! Otherwise, if you are seeking for a more traditional type of drawing, Adobe Photoshop is one I see people use sometimes, but Paint Tool Sai seems to be the current dominant drawing program. Cost-wise, I have no clue where they range. That may be something you may have to research on your own.

Now if you really want to learn how to use one of these programs, they are not easy to pick up. First, you need to decide on how you are going to do the strokes, whether it be the mousepad, tablet, mouse itself, or some sort of touchscreen. Now the programs themselves, they are very difficult to learn, but not impossible. If you chose to use a program, just remember that there's almost no single soul who has perfectly mastered a program. Accept that you are always learning, and you will always get better.

The cheapest way to draw is the obvious pen and paper. Art programs may seem like an easy shortcut to get good, but traditional drawing is a skill everyone should learn if they want to be a successful artist. Learning the skills of traditional art can better your skills using programs, and you will have far better access to writing tools and paper.

Just remember to stay committed, and I hope to see some art from you soon. :)

I find that when learning how to draw something that it's easier to practice drawing it traditionally (as in pencil & paper), but if you're commited to doing it digitally then you'd better have a tablet. These are the programs that I use whenever I'm drawing digitally:

• Medibang Paint Pro (has tons of features, mobile apps, cloud sync, and it's 100% free)
  • Paint Tool Sai (great for coloring but costs a bit)
  • GIMP (like photoshop, but free. personally I'd rather use something else over this, but it's good for editing pictures)

Anyway, a list of programs won't help you if you don't know what to do when it comes to drawing small magic horses, so here's a SUPER USEFUL guide that I used (and still use from time to time) when I was learning how to draw ponies:

So what you wanna do with these programs (or pencil & paper) and guides is to draw! To start I suggest redrawing stills from the show/vectors (and I do not mean just tracing over the pictures, that's cheating) and trying to imitate the show's style. Once you've got a general idea how pony bodies work go ahead and try drawing unique poses + angles without references. Just practice practice practice. Yes your ponies may not look great at first, but give it time + practice and you'll eventually be great at drawing them!

If you want you can add me on Skype (it's on my profile page at the bottom) if you want some one on one drawing sessions. If you don't wanna do that, but do want some questions answered go ahead and ask!

• Brohoof 3

I find that when learning how to draw something that it's easier to practice drawing it traditionally (as in pencil & paper), but if you're commited to doing it digitally then you'd better have a tablet. These are the programs that I use whenever I'm drawing digitally:

• Medibang Paint Pro (has tons of features, mobile apps, cloud sync, and it's 100% free)
  • Paint Tool Sai (great for coloring but costs a bit)
  • GIMP (like photoshop, but free. personally I'd rather use something else over this, but it's good for editing pictures)

Anyway, a list of programs won't help you if you don't know what to do when it comes to drawing small magic horses, so here's a SUPER USEFUL guide that I used (and still use from time to time) when I was learning how to draw ponies:

So what you wanna do with these programs (or pencil & paper) and guides is to draw! To start I suggest redrawing stills from the show/vectors (and I do not mean just tracing over the pictures, that's cheating) and trying to imitate the show's style. Once you've got a general idea how pony bodies work go ahead and try drawing unique poses + angles without references. Just practice practice practice. Yes your ponies may not look great at first, but give it time + practice and you'll eventually be great at drawing them!

If you want you can add me on Skype (it's on my profile page at the bottom) if you want some one on one drawing sessions. If you don't wanna do that, but do want some questions answered go ahead and ask!

The Part One: Pony Heads, The Second order is confusing, i can't tell where's the start And even draw the second order of the instructions at all...

Wow @@Magic Rasin, beat me to it. Oh well.

SorcerusHorserus is a wonderful artist and I think that her guides are closest to the show you can get. The guides don't have a set of instructions. There is no step one and two. The guides simply tell you how to draw each part.

Wow @@Magic Rasin, beat me to it. Oh well.

SorcerusHorserus is a wonderful artist and I think that her guides are closest to the show you can get. The guides don't have a set of instructions. There is no step one and two. The guides simply tell you how to draw each part.

No wonder it's confusing

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently using Firealpacca to draw p0nes. I love it. It's free. GET IT

Also, if you want to be seriously drawing p0nes, you NEED a drawing tablet. Makes life SO much easier. I have a Waccom Intuos Pen & Touch Small that I got for $100 USD and I love it. You don't need a lot to get started in digital art, but you need a little.

Though, to be honest, $100 is still kinda expensive for me :P

If you find a cheaper tablet you like and use it to draw, go right ahead.