Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where's the alicorn hate coming from?

Nightfall Veilwing

The borny community literally has no reason to hate alicorns.
We have close-to-no canon info about alicorns because the show literally DOES NOT discuss them at all! :angry:
All of the alicorn stereotypes--namely, alicrons being Mary Sues, OP, having little-to-no and/or not-well-thought-out backstory, etc., etc.--were created by the brony fandom itself. And it's puzzling and upsetting why it's the alicorn OCs that always get accused of being said stereotypes.
And the brony community judges alicorns by looking at them without getting to know them.
The brony fandom is about friendship and the acceptance of others, but the treatment and hatred the alicrons have been getting ever since the dawn of the brony community suggests otherwise. And this treatment and hatred of alicorns is not only wrong and hypocritical, it's racist!
So, as an alicorn, let me ask you bronies: Where's the alicorn hate coming from? :(

• Brohoof 3

And this treatment and hatred of alicorns is not only wrong and hypocritical, it's racist!

Calling people racist for hating alicorns is a little extreme. 

Also, is this topic about alicorn OC's or the alicorns in the show? 

• Brohoof 3

People are people. Some things (such as mary-sues and gary-stus) annoy them. It's not "racist" to be bothered by it. Alicorns don't exist. I personally don't see the problem, but I assume that it was (maybe still is) a common trope for alicorn OCs to be flat and uninteresting.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Alicorn hate? It's not coming from anywhere. Alicorn OC hate is coming from their obvious inconvenience in series reality. Name all the alicorns you can recall. How many? Let me guess, 4? Yup. Name all of the unicorns you recall. Or pegasi. Or earth ponies. Yes, alicorns ARE supposed to be a level higher and special leaders. By making an alicorn OC you make an obvious mistake of Mary Sueing at the very beginning. Because one more pegasi doesn't change much, but one more alicorn changes everything. It's a commonly agreed standard that we're not creating demigods as OCs here. As of your accusations of being racist, that's just weird.

Edited by TBlaze
  • Brohoof 3

The borny community literally has no reason to hate alicorns.

We have close-to-no canon info about alicorns because the show literally DOES NOT discuss them at all! :angry:

All of the alicorn stereotypes--namely, alicrons being Mary Sues, OP, having little-to-no and/or not-well-thought-out backstory, etc., etc.--were created by the brony fandom itself. And it's puzzling and upsetting why it's the alicorn OCs that always get accused of being said stereotypes.

And the brony community judges alicorns by looking at them without getting to know them.

The brony fandom is about friendship and the acceptance of others, but the treatment and hatred the alicrons have been getting ever since the dawn of the brony community suggests otherwise. And this treatment and hatred of alicorns is not only wrong and hypocritical, it's racist!

So, as an alicorn, let me ask you bronies: Where's the alicorn hate coming from? :(

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, I've received some hate because one of my OC's is an Alicorn. I've even been excluded from an RP before for trying to submit him, I mean come on! Where's the love and tolerance?

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, I've received some hate because one of my OC's is an Alicorn. I've even been excluded from an RP before for trying to submit him, I mean come on! Where's the love and tolerance?

You were, because RP hosts don't want to include characters that are Mary Sueish. And when you make your OC one of 5 alicorns, it classifies as that. No other member was an alicorn OC, so don't you think that including you with that particular alicorn OC is not gonna work as fine as the creator wants it to?

• Brohoof 3

Yes, alicorns ARE supposed to be a level higher and special leaders. By making an alicorn OC you make an obvious mistake of Mary Sueing at the very beginning.

With all due respect, how do you know that alicorns as "supposed to be a level higher and special leaders"? It is true that royalty (not including Sombra and Shining Armor) are alicorns, but the show doesn't state that alicorns ARE as such.

And not all alicorns are Mary Sues but they're all treated as such.

How is it racist to not like Alicorns?

And to answer your point, some people find them to be overpowered or that their existence just hurts the universe's balance.  Alicorns are essentially gods, and if your character is godlike, of course people will question it.  Especially if you have no reason to make the OC an Alicorn.  I don't mind Alicorns, I have one as a ruler for my Pony race actually, but I understand why people don't like them.  Really it's about execution, make your Alicorn have a good reason to exist and a good job for her abilities.

With all due respect, how do you know that alicorns as "supposed to be a level higher and special leaders"? It is true that royalty (not including Sombra and Shining Armor) are alicorns, but the show doesn't state that alicorns ARE as such. And not all alicorns are Mary Sues but they're all treated as such.

Come on, of course that the show doesn't state many things. How many alicorns do you have? Four. And two of them are responsible for day/night, one is a ruler of Crystal Empire and one is also powerful, although I can't say that much about Twily. Plus, just think about Tirek taking all the magic of all ponies besides alicorns, and then fighting Twilight with alicorn power. He even had Discord's power. That's so obvious I would even call it a statement in the show.

• Brohoof 1

How is it racist to not like Alicorns?

And to answer your point, some people find them to be overpowered or that their existence just hurts the universe's balance.  Alicorns are essentially gods, and if your character is godlike, of course people will question it.  Especially if you have no reason to make the OC an Alicorn.  I don't mind Alicorns, I have one as a ruler for my Pony race actually, but I understand why people don't like them.  Really it's about execution, make your Alicorn have a good reason to exist and a good job for her abilities.

By "racist," I'm talking about the stereotypes being placed on alicorns. Does that clarify?

How many? Let me guess, 4? Yup.

Wrong, actually. Flurry Heart from The Crystalling is the fifth.

With all due respect, how do you know that alicorns as "supposed to be a level higher and special leaders"?

Because that's exactly what Friendship Is Magic shows. All alicorn princesses are highly respected members of a very wealthy social class. Celestia, Luna, Cadance, and Twilight are rulers with major responsibilities. The fate of everyone around them rests on their shoulders. So few alicorns are present in this series for a reason.

The brony fandom is about friendship and the acceptance of others, but the treatment and hatred the alicrons have been getting ever since the dawn of the brony community suggests otherwise.

"Love and tolerate" doesn't mean bronies should blindly accept everything. People are very reserved about alicorn OCs because of their status and often poor reason for inclusion. Fanart of Alicorn OCs is fine. But if you create an alicorn OC for a story, comic, or roleplay, your reason must be good. Otherwise, it's pointless.

• Brohoof 5

Wrong, actually. Flurry Heart from The Crystalling is the fifth.

Of course, sorry. I always forget about that little overpowered crap.

• Brohoof 2

As everyone else has stated, it's because most are too OP.

In my opinion, the only time an Alicorn OC is okay is when it's either a joke, or when it does not represent the creator at all. Since most OCs of the brony fandom represent the creator of the OC in some way, most would assume the creators think that if they were a pony, they would be all powerful. As long as you clarify that the OC is supposed to be a seperate charracter, and not represent you yourself, it's alright in my book.

• Brohoof 1

Because alicorns are constantly portrayed to be apex race within FiM, to the point where every other pony race seems laughably inferior in comparison. The reason alicorn OCs are so common is because when it comes down to it, why would anyone want to make OC that isn't the superior race? 

And no, the stereotypes concerning alicorns WERE NOT simply made up by the bronies. The writers actually fuel the perceptions that bronies have. Case in point: Flurry Heart. Despite being a baby, she's easily one of the most insanely overpowered characters in the show, and it's all because she's an alicorn. 

• Brohoof 2

By "racist," I'm talking about the stereotypes being placed on alicorns. Does that clarify?

Well, then I don't mean to be rude but can you not use that word?  If you mean that it's an unfair stereotype, then just call it that.  Racism is when you're a jerk to someone because of their race, nobody is experiencing racism here just because Alicorns are not well received by most bronies.

If you want to know why a lot of people dislike them, I suggest you watch MadMunchkin's "Why I hate Alicorn OCs", the title is kinda misleading but the points she makes are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LNka6P4ss

• Brohoof 1

Well, then I don't mean to be rude but can you not use that word?  If you mean that it's an unfair stereotype, then just call it that.  Racism is when you're a jerk to someone because of their race, nobody is experiencing racism here just because Alicorns are not well received by most bronies.

If you want to know why a lot of people dislike them, I suggest you watch MadMunchkin's "Why I hate Alicorn OCs", the title is kinda misleading but the points she makes are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LNka6P4ss

I've seen that multiple times. I do agree with it.

What I don't understand is why all alicorn OCs are accused of being Mary Sue, OP, blah, blah, blah, when the creator made them as such, disregarding the fact that any pony can be Mary Sues.

All pony breed can be good characters and whatnot.

I've seen that multiple times. I do agree with it.

What I don't understand is why all alicorn OCs are accused of being Mary Sue, OP, blah, blah, blah, when the creator made them as such, disregarding the fact that any pony can be Mary Sues.

All pony breed can be good characters and whatnot.

Because most Alicorn OCs are.  It's near impossible to make an Alicorn OC that has a legitimate reason for what they are.

Plus, people hate it when an OC is OP and/or perfect.  Mary Sues are no fun.  Even Alicorns have weaknesses but most of the creators of these OCs don't understand and just accuse you of trying to control their creativity when you point out the problems.  Are all Alicorn OCs bad?  No.  But are a lot of them Mary Sues or are just not good?  Yes.

• Brohoof 3

And no, the stereotypes concerning alicorns WERE NOT simply made up by the bronies. The writers actually fuel the perceptions that bronies have. Case in point: Flurry Heart. Despite being a baby, she's easily one of the most insanely overpowered characters in the show, and it's all because she's an alicorn.

This right here. Not all alicorns are insanely powerful. By far, Cadance is the weakest. But this show reinforced the stereotype in several ways:

1. It took the power of so many unicorns to raise and set the sun and moon. Celestia and Luna can do that all by themselves.
  2. In Twilight's Kingdom, the AliTrio transferred their power to Twilight. The power of all four alicorns is enough to equal all the power Tirek stole from everyone else.
  3. Flurry Heart was mega-powerful just because of her status and race.
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Cause they think that is like a videogame! Dx is like having the best gun in the game and when you have like massive killstreaks with it,those whiners immediately called it overpowered @-@

Edited by Princess-Moonlight

is like having the best gun in the game when when you have like massive killstreaks with it,those whiners immediately called it overpowered

That might be because having the best weapon in the game and getting massive killstreaks and victories is overpowered.

Usually the 'best weapon in the game' takes a long time to master, therefore making it fair when someone wins with it. If a game allows you to buy a weapon that immediately makes you the winner of every game that's extremely easy to use, that's overpowered. What's not overpowered is having a great weapon, but taking time to master it. This is why most games balance it out, and why most games don't just have 'BUY THIS AND YOU WIN INSTANTLY' weapons. Same with Alicorn OCs. Alicorn OCs need to have at least some flaws. When they have tons of powers and no flaws at all, it's just cheap and overpowered.

• Brohoof 1