Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where's the alicorn hate coming from?

Nightfall Veilwing

You were, because RP hosts don't want to include characters that are Mary Sueish. And when you make your OC one of 5 alicorns, it classifies as that. No other member was an alicorn OC, so don't you think that including you with that particular alicorn OC is not gonna work as fine as the creator wants it to?

What I meant was, that they wouldn't accept any other characters after trying to submit my Alicorn OC.

(edited)

I could give you an entire essay explaining it, but I have a life, so...  :ooh:

*Edit: I am just going to copy the post I made earlier this year.

I dislike Alicorn OCs for many reasons:

1: It takes almost no thought, you do not have to make the hard decision of what type of pony your OC will be, so you just use that stupid loophole and say it is every type.

2: It makes you look kind of full of yourself, giving the impression that you think you are superior to everypony else.

3: Alicorns are supposed to be EXTREMELY rare. So having one as your OC makes them more common and bland.

4: The 4 (5 including flurry heart) Alicorn princesses are the only known Alicorns. So you are going completely against cannon.

5: I REALLY WANT TO STRESS THE FIRST 2!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, that is why I hate Alicorn OCs.

Edited by Babyyoshi309
  • Brohoof 2

WARNING: INFERENCES AND SPECULATION OF HUMAN BEINGS TAKES PLACE IN THIS POST. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

A loud minority of bronies are complaining about new alicorns because, well, alicorns are OP and mystical, and what happens when you have too many powerful alicorns? The mysticality and OP-ness shatters. Alicorns become as normal as every other race. And in at least the beginning of the show, alicorns were rare. Well, now Twilight is an alicorn, and so is Cadence and Flurryheart. Six Alicorns compared to only two in the beginning. A 300% increase!

They fear that the theme and status alicorns had in the beginning of the show will greatly deminish over time, and they don't want that.

At least, that's what I think is what their problem is. *shrugs*

• Brohoof 1

Well, as others have already said, alicorn OCs are usually written poorly and as all-powerful gods or something.

As for the alicorns in the show, they have been shown to be higher than all other ponies, and not to mention how overpowered Twilight has been shown to be, so I supposed some of the hate isn't entirely unfounded...

(I still adore Twilight very much, though  :adorkable: )

• Brohoof 1

The borny community literally has no reason to hate alicorns.

We have close-to-no canon info about alicorns because the show literally DOES NOT discuss them at all! :angry:

All of the alicorn stereotypes--namely, alicrons being Mary Sues, OP, having little-to-no and/or not-well-thought-out backstory, etc., etc.--were created by the brony fandom itself. And it's puzzling and upsetting why it's the alicorn OCs that always get accused of being said stereotypes.

And the brony community judges alicorns by looking at them without getting to know them.

The brony fandom is about friendship and the acceptance of others, but the treatment and hatred the alicrons have been getting ever since the dawn of the brony community suggests otherwise. And this treatment and hatred of alicorns is not only wrong and hypocritical, it's racist!

So, as an alicorn, let me ask you bronies: Where's the alicorn hate coming from? :(

Problem is, most of those alicorn OC are wish fulfillment, self insert, mary sues, who are perfect and better than everypony at everything etc etc etc: Don;t blame  the fandom because tons of bad writers make those mistakes. There are better ways to make an alicorn OC, like being a secondary character but not make him/her a deus ex machina, or introducing an alicorn OC and the plot if finding out about his/her species or finding his way home or whatever

• Brohoof 1

Most people view alicorn OCs as overpowered, bland, and unoriginal. While this is true for most of the alicorn OCs out there, I've come across the rare occasion where an alicorn OC was well thought out and given a good backstory.

Alicorn OCs aren't necessarily bad as a whole. You just need to be creative and thoughtful while making them. If you do it right, I doubt everyone will hate your OC.

• Brohoof 1

From a design standpoint, their wings have always looked really clunky and awkward to me :confused: . Not a huge fan of their other appendages either.

Characterwise I don't hate any of them. In fact, I wish Celestia would get some goshdarn screentime.

If you want to know why a lot of people dislike them, I suggest you watch MadMunchkin's "Why I hate Alicorn OCs", the title is kinda misleading but the points she makes are good.

I enjoyed this video, and it really does point out the facts of why most people don't really appreciate Alicorn OC's. It can be frustrating to work with them in an RP when they can dominate over everything because of their superiority. I mean... if all the characters are Alicorns.. sure, go for it. It can just be hard to make it work when they are so powerful compared to other ponies. 

However, in the case of a school type atmosphere there could be a couple Alicorns that are say the head master or some of the elder teachers. I feel like if they are in the younger age group it is just frustrating. 

I love Luna, and I love her as a princess, and I love her story. However, personally I feel like the fewer Alicorns the better, I was honestly a bit disappointed when Twilight became a princess. But she still has quite a bit to learn before she can be anything like Celestia and Luna. 

I get why people want an Alicorn, because they both love pegasi, and unicorns. They want to have the best of both worlds. They want wings and magic. But even in MLP world there is only 5. You don't see random Alicorns roaming the streets of Ponyville. 

Anyways... that's my two bits. I don't dislike Alicorns, but I believe Alicorns have their place. 

• Brohoof 1

Alicorns are meant to be something more than the other types of pony, they're special, and that special status comes from, and is reflected by, their rarity.  Every additional Alicorn that is introduced, either in the show or as an OC, devalues that special status, relegating them to being nothing more than a fourth type of pony.  When everybody is super, nobody will be.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed this video, and it really does point out the facts of why most people don't really appreciate Alicorn OC's. It can be frustrating to work with them in an RP when they can dominate over everything because of their superiority. I mean... if all the characters are Alicorns.. sure, go for it. It can just be hard to make it work when they are so powerful compared to other ponies. 

However, in the case of a school type atmosphere there could be a couple Alicorns that are say the head master or some of the elder teachers. I feel like if they are in the younger age group it is just frustrating. 

I love Luna, and I love her as a princess, and I love her story. However, personally I feel like the fewer Alicorns the better, I was honestly a bit disappointed when Twilight became a princess. But she still has quite a bit to learn before she can be anything like Celestia and Luna. 

I get why people want an Alicorn, because they both love pegasi, and unicorns. They want to have the best of both worlds. They want wings and magic. But even in MLP world there is only 5. You don't see random Alicorns roaming the streets of Ponyville. 

Anyways... that's my two bits. I don't dislike Alicorns, but I believe Alicorns have their place. 

When I was young and just got into MLP, I RP'd with this girl who's MLP OC was a huge alicorn mary sue.  Even after I asked her to stop making her win all the time, she didn't.  Oh, and she power played A LOT.

• Brohoof 1

4: The 4 (5 including flurry heart) Alicorn princesses are the only known Alicorns. So you are going completely against cannon.

Well, I got to make an observation in that last point. There MIGHT be some other alicorns around, in fact they used to be in Canterlot, but moved out from it shortly after Equestria's   founding. But it's still a valid point in alicorn OC, you can't just throw an alicorn jus because 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late into this but before I explain on what I think, I'll give the short answer that people (ponies) dislike changes they see in MLP series. I mean look at Equestria Girls and it gets like a super nuke of hates compare to minority who likes to see a change in MLP as human versions.

About the whole hate with alicorns from them, it seems they hate them because of the high power they have over other ponies. They would assume they're overpowered and stuffs like that. I don't see them being overpowered like anime fights but just the same as normal ponies, well to me anyway. Some really just hate anything they don't like. I've seen Twilight Sparkle fans in the past get angry and throw a fit for seeing their pony become an alicorn. They asked if her personality will change, will she attends to her friends less, etc.

I guess in my opinion some don't like to see others hold a power or a power over them