Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Do you think music from like 70s, 80s and 90s was the best?

Fluttere

i would have to say that each era has their charm.

the "greater" bands are the ones that start in one era, and remain popular for longer...

but realy, for any song, it depends on how much ive heard it (more i hear it, more i like it)

and what mood im in... if i am in a depressed mood?(johny cash's hurt)

if im in a happy mood?(carramell dansen/ yui "again")

but generaly i like to listen to any music, as long as i can dance/sing to it!

*edit*

oh and if I'm in a romantic mood, then it would have to be...(tonic, meatloaf, enya, enigma, goo goo dolls... ect)

Edited by GaryTheGray85

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 80's were the best. I haven't heard much from the 70's, but stuff from the 90s like the Backstreet Boys and Blink 182 is just a load of garbage. The only 90's stuff I can stand are Sheryl Crow, Matchbox Twenty, and Nsync (all thanks to my late sister LOL)

But oy, the 80's with Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Huey Lewis and the News, and Journey were just fantastic.

Edited by Little Flyer
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think so. It's just different. Once I noticed that I enjoy music of 2000s as much as music of 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s...

Even in 20s was cool jazz!

Just when I'm being tired from one style I'm switching onto another. ^_^

DJ_Pon-3_and_Octavia_playing_together_S5

The music I like tends to come from the 80s and 90s. :)

Edited by Lady Kiriness

A taste of the seventies:

A taste of the eighties:

A taste of the nineties:

Every era has it's gold; I simply find a LOT of gold in these three eras.

When looking back at music through various decades it's important to remember that the music from the 70s-90s that is still being played today is generally the best examples of the music from those eras.  Every decade has its fair share of crap music, brilliant music, and everywhere in between.

When you listen to a current music radio/tv/online service today, you get all of the current music, the very bad as well as the very good.  On the other hand, a service that plays music from across numerous decades will (generally) only play the music from each decade that was good enough to not be consigned to the dustbin of time.

This makes it easy to mistake one decade as being better, because a greater proportion of the music still being heard is better, whereas a far lower proportion (proportion, not quantity) of current music is as good.

You may have personal preferences for a style of music that was prominent at some given time, but it doesn't follow that that decade was better, only that what you are listening to from that decade is the best that it had to offer.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

Of course, back then people actually cared about what their songs sounded like, and music careers were only for those with the talent. Now a days anyone can throw a pile of gilded crap together, and people think its gold. Music in the early 2000s was okay, I like a few songs from there, but when the 2010's hit that's when it truly started going south. Many people would disagree with me, and I understand, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I really can't stand these pointless arguments. There's always been good stuff and bad stuff (That distinction varies from person to person). In my opinion there's still plenty of worthwhile listening material out there today, you just have to go out of your way to find it. In my opinion the genres and "artists" that are "In" right now in the mainstream are....abhorrent, but there's always been garbage. If you want to find worthwhile content you have to actively search for it. Take what you see on the billboard charts and read it for what it is: the mindless tastes of the lowest common denominator.  

• Brohoof 1

Forgot to add on. Music during the 80's gave us some of the most high energy music to date with the creation of speed and thrash metal. The 90's gave us heavier soudns to match the acceptance of darker aesthetics and attitudes of the youth, as well as heavy metal stepping up it's game to crawl out of the hole that grunge music and alternative radio rock created. A hole all of us are still trying to crawl out of. 

I listen to modern music and some late 80s or 90s music, though I try not to look at it through rose-tinted glasses. Nostalgia often gets in the way of looking at actual quality, and I've heard plenty of 80s and 90s songs that were pretty terrible. You also have to consider that was the time where artists were experimenting around with certain genres, and in the 2010s we're doing it again. I try not to be too hipster about it.

• 4 years later...

Nah, there's always good music, you just gotta find it. And with the internet now indie musicians are more accessible than ever for just about any genre.

I feel like a lot the reason people think that old music was better is just that they only listen to the best of the Era. Lots of not so great music came out back then too, but no one's still talking about it, so it gets forgotten and only the good stuff remains.

I think older music is better and there are some reasons for it. 

Yes, especially on Western music, I listen to the best, however, let's not forget that those artists were the most popular in their time as well - played a lot on the radio etc. I don't really like the most popular new music - for example, I watch Eurovision and don't particularly like any of the songs, but I like more songs performed in old Eurovisions.

Another reason is that in my country (well, in the whole USSR) at the time, the government did not allow just anyone to perform on TV or the radio. There were local musicians (performing at a wedding etc), but if you want to be shown on TV and get a concert, you had to be good (also, perform music that the government does not hate). Also, at the time, musicians, even very popular ones, did not make a lot of money (there were no royalties for recordings), which means that people had to pretty much do it for their love of music instead of just "for the money".

Yet another reason (and this applies everywhere) is that there was no autotune or similar technology at the time, so the artist naturally had to be good.