Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Optimist or Pessimist?

Varrack

69 users have voted

1. 1. Are you more optimistic or pessimistic?

• Optimistic
    • Pessimistic

In most situations, do you tend to be more optimistic about things or just pessimistic?

I think I'm more of a pessimist when it comes to things not working out, although I do have optimistic moments.

Depends on topic but overall optimistic, atheism and education are on the rise, poverty is lowering. We aren't in the medieval ages anymore. No crazy idiotic civil wars in first world countries. A third world war didn't happen yet and if it did all we have to do is use a nuke to stop it not spend 100 years of conflict. And no one wants nukes involved, its a great deterrent.

I'm a very pessimistic person. As the Mythbusters like to say, "Failure is always an option" and just watch the news for more than five minutes and try and tell me to be optimistic. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

My friends tend to be pessimistic, so I have to be optimistic and to show them how beautiful the world can be, even though I deeply hate the mechanisms of this world myself.

Edited by ConcorDisparate
  • Brohoof 1

I used to be more of a pessimist, but now I'm very optimistic. Instead of complaining, I have the mindset of ''Whatever, at least ____'' Now I do realize that the empty half of the cup is more important sometimes, but in most cases optimism is the best way to go.

• Brohoof 1

I make a note to try and maintain an optimistic outlook. Why? Because I can. There are enough downer moments and bleak stories being told from all corners of the world, and I personally see no point in adding to that. I refer to a post I made last year:

Reality has it's problems, no one can deny that. But is it really worth it to just sit around and be miserable/pessimistic/always angry about it all? I don't see any benefit in that. You have limited time on this world regardless, so make the most of that time; accept the things which cannot be avoided, work to change what can, and remember to just take some time to yourself every once in a while, forget what's happening beyond you.

Some might call me a naive idealist, but that's just how I've chosen to live. Even if life beats me to the ground for it some day, I don't regret it. I choose to see what's beautiful in life.

That stays just as true to me today as it did then. :)

• Brohoof 2

I tend to fluctuate (might be my Gemini-ness :) ).  For those who tend to lean towards pessimism, try to remember an older Chinese proverb (which I will no doubt butcher...)

One year, a farmer had tremendous crop growth.  His neighbor commented, 'You certainly are fortunate, your crop is very successful.'  Farmer responds, 'There is neither fortune, nor misfortune.'  Later, his crop is infested with locusts.  Neighbor says, 'You must be sad, for your crops had failed.'  Farmer responds 'There is neither...'. Later, his son, who helps on the farm, breaks a leg.  'I am sorry for your misfortune, for your son had helped your farm greatly.'  Farmer responds, '(same)'.  Not long after, the military comes through looking for draftees.  Because the son's leg is broken, he is not drafted.

Although things might not be as we would prefer them, things can always be worse, and who knows, maybe, just maybe, the Infinite/All-That-Is puts us where we need to be, when we need to be there.

• Brohoof 1

I like staying optimistic. So optimistic in fact, that someday, I want my friends to know me as Optimist Prime.

( The only reason I posted here was to make that really terrible pun. But hey, I told the truth. )

• Brohoof 4

Depends on what we're talking about.

Politics? That's an area I tend to get pretty cynical in. No other field shows just by how much the human ego eclipses its capacity for rationality. We may have come a long way now but with all the tensions rising, our parents' generation may well have been the last one to know prolonged peace and optimism in the future.

Energy? That's an area I'm more of an optimist. Not only do we have renewable energy the likes of wind and solar falling down in cost but we're seeing a similar pattern with the more nascent energy storage industry. Renewable energy and energy storage complement each other well as the latter tackles the intermittency issues of the former. Because of this, one can make a good economic and financial case for deep penetration of renewable energy (depending on location). Included in the progress of energy storage is batteries which will lead to better electric vehicles. Weaning off of oil and gas will have implications, which I'll leave former CIA director R. James Woolsey Jr. to explain:

(edited)

I've always been a bit of a pessimist. Prepare for the worst, be pleased when things go better than expected. Things can only go up! Unless they dont.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 3

I'm more glass half full and I try pretty hard to keep it that way. If anything in an age of pessimism and darkness you need someone to brighten up the day and look up to.

• Brohoof 1

Pessimistic. The logic behind that is that I won't be negatively surprised, it can only get better than expected. It's still stupid since it creates a lot of stress and anxiety .-.

I am a mixture of both. I tend to be pessimistic about myself and about humanity in general, but I try to be an optimist about everything else. Things I enjoy, looking forward to stuff, whatever, I try to be positive about it all, ut that is quite difficult at times. It depends on my mood really.

About life in general? Pessimist. I literally don't believe it's possible for me to actually be happy with life. Any attempt to be happy feels like a lie. I hate trying to be optimistic, "See? I'm happy, right guys? Life's not that bad, this is how I should be right? Am I conforming to your standards yet? Is this what you want? Does this fake smile feel real enough?"

About media, I tend to be optimistic though, genuinely. Not sure why it's so easy to do that when trying it with real life gives me a headache and makes me bitter and angry, but whatever.