Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the expectations are getting too high?

Limeblossom

(edited)

Like what happened with the Phantom Menace. The amount of high expectations the fans had for the movie to be like the old Star Wars movies, while the creator was out of touch and added stuff that didn't belong to the franchise. (he did kinda admit his mistakes).

Edited by Limeblossom
  • Brohoof 4

lol expectations are already unreasonably, astronomically high, just look at any thread speculating about the movie. Some people in the fandom are expecting the movie to be a revolution for animated films. And we still know jack-shit about the film

• Brohoof 7

Exactly.

From what I have been reading from some posts in these sorts of topics, it seems like people are expecting some kind of masterpiece or something.

That is why I have been trying to keep my expectations at a realistic level.

I am pretty sure that it isn't going to be Oscar material, nor will it be the best movie of the year.

I am expecting it to be as enjoyable as the show but with some added benefits due to having a higher budget.

But I am not expecting perfection or to be really blown away by it.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

If some people set their expectations too high, oh well. They'll be the ones facing disappointment. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to enjoy it (as I do), but I don't expect it to be a flawless masterpiece that blows my mind.

I'll probably like it if it's bad, anyway. I'm very forgiving of bad movies (I happen to love Phantom Menace).

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 2

Maybe it's higher than the next new episode but it may set up a lot of people for disappointments.

Probably.

I think one of the high expectations is having a good antagonist. The fear of him/her being a complete joke or getting redeemed/reformed could put the film's potential in jeopardy :awuh:.

Cinema market is dominated by you know marvel warner bros fox, Columbia pictures. Even Blizzard wants to be in competition, if hasbro wants to compete they have to make a good movie forget about fan expectations hasbro must think about all the competition in the market. Of course they have their own fandom which will watch the movie and enjoy it no matter what, but still an imdb score like 2 is not what they aim for most surely. Doctor strange on the ways so is infinity war, justice leage yeah you get the point. Deadpool was a movie with low budget and shot in 48 days yet still awesome, remarkable soundtrack and so on. If marvel can do it why nit hasbro 

Deadpool was a movie with low budget and shot in 48 days yet still awesome, remarkable soundtrack and so on. If marvel can do it why nit hasbro 

The fans waited for a long time for a film adaption and the writers where aware of it and decided to not ruin it with out of touch stuff. Luckily it met the highest expectation; Having a fun movie with an over the top crazy anti-hero :lol:. It's success even led to the film adaption of The Killing Joke.

I don't 

The fans waited for a long time for a film adaption and the writers where aware of it and decided to not ruin it with out of touch stuff. Luckily it met the highest expectation; Having a fun movie with an over the top crazy anti-hero :lol:. It's success even led to the film adaption of The Killing Joke.

I don't think killing joke would be as successful as deadpool, we all know the dawn of justice a total disappointment for everyone. But this is just me talking. Mlp has good material, characters places I don't think they will do the same mistakes as warner brothers

(edited)

I don't think killing joke would be as successful as deadpool,

I know, but it's also a case of R-rated movies having the potential to be successful.

And The Killing joke could bring the return of adult toons on the big screen, if the film gained success.

Edited by Limeblossom

(edited)

Is this thread general? I think he used Phantom Menace as an example...

The movie became the biggest example of a combination of high/certain expectation + delusional creator + filled with content that don't belong to a SW movie. The episode's title became a synonym for such events.

For me the episode Appleoosa's Most Wanted was a phantom menace :okiedokieloki:. I thought it will be a decent MLP western parody episode with some pop culture references, got the total opposite. If I knew they'd ruin it I would've used my time to get A Million Ways To Die In The West.

Edited by Limeblossom
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

well, I don't want to be the black sheep, but from my point of view the expectations for this movie are too hyped .

Let's hope that they take an 80 villain/place (imagine, the M6 find the 80's land )

I'm not expecting much at all.  Even if the movie gets 90% ratings it will not be nearly as popular as shows like Frozen because it is just about lightly colored ponies.  I can assume that Hasbro knows this and will not try to make the best movie ever because it will just be a waist of money.  Most of the hardcore Bronies will see the movie anyways even if it sucks and most of the younger fans of the show will likely see it anyways.  I'm just expecting an hour long episode as that's what most TV movies are.

Absolutely, when hype gets this high, "good" and "bad" are made more and more absolute.

A sleeper hit has tons of people who say "mmm, it was pretty alright, I liked it." But when hype is high, it's either "BEST THING EVER 11/10" or "F**cking shit, worst thing every created, kys if you liked this". The latter bit is what's going to happen with the movie.

Just compare this to Fallout 4. People though that was going to revolutionize the Open-World RPG genre. It didn't. So many people practically disowned the series after claiming they were "diehard fans".

I feel like some people's expectations are high, but all I'm expecting is a My Little Pony movie. Now, some thing's I've heard about it make it seem like it could potentially be a very good movie, and based off certain episodes, that seems a likely possibility.

I expect that the movie should be at least "good" considering how a lot of the original crew is working on it.

I am, however, starting to worry from what I've seen that the animation difference may be somewhat jarring. It's Toon Boom vs. Flash. IT WILL LOOK DIFFERENT to a degree.

Toon Boom is supposed to be more versatile and easier to work with- which is probably why they're trying it for the movie. Since the movie is made on a different platform, I'm guessing they are working on season 7 with the old Flash assets still. I really don't see how Hasbro would just be done with G4 MLP after the movie. A lot of people there even in the exec. type positions seem to like the property, which is a good thing for the show I'd say.

Time will tell, I have NO IDEAS as to what the movie will be about.

Having high expectations is fine, but it has to be measured. This goes with anything of course, but in this case the movie has the unenviable position of meeting high expectations, and if it doesn't it could be hated on more than it deserves, even if it's just decent and not spectacular.

It is what it is though; we'll have to see when the movie is finally released to the going public. :)

I expect that the movie should be at least "good" considering how a lot of the original crew is working on it.

I am, however, starting to worry from what I've seen that the animation difference may be somewhat jarring. It's Toon Boom vs. Flash. IT WILL LOOK DIFFERENT to a degree.

Toon Boom is supposed to be more versatile and easier to work with- which is probably why they're trying it for the movie. Since the movie is made on a different platform, I'm guessing they are working on season 7 with the old Flash assets still. I really don't see how Hasbro would just be done with G4 MLP after the movie. A lot of people there even in the exec. type positions seem to like the property, which is a good thing for the show I'd say.

Time will tell, I have NO IDEAS as to what the movie will be about.

Toon Boom will make the movie look more hand drawn.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well considering how each episode has been going over with the fandom, I would say the expectation are pretty damn high.

I am not to worried though I expect to enjoy it for what it is. But considering it cannot meet every expectation every fan will have, it is doomed to shatter a few peoples hopes. The trailer will give us more information to make a solid opinion though.