Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Arthurian Legends

Jeric

Le Morte D'arthurian Legends thread - here  :(

The topic was placed in the stone awaiting one to pull it free ... and by the power of Greyskull ... I shall resurrect. Ok, I have a hard time thinking of a raised sword without that coming out. Sorry.

@heavens-champion created a topic to discuss a story that is one of the best examples of narrative longevity. Even today in the 21st century, it still captures the imagination. Told throughout numerous depictions and variations, the tale of Arthur, Merlin, and the Knights of the Round will likely continue long after our generations are gone. The interesting thing is, why? What about this tale helped provide its long lasting appeal? It has the tappings of a hero's journey, but in some versions (like Sir Thomas Mallory's) shows major characters who are extremely flawed. Mallory's version in particular is my personal favorite version. The frailty, virtues, and dreams of humanity are displayed brilliantly. Betrayal at the hands of those you love ... and still love you depending on your interpretation. 

I could talk all day about that version, but what is your favorite version? What aspect of the Arthurian legend do you think of when it comes up? What can the story tell us about ourselves if viewed through a modern lens? Also, how in the hell has this thing lasted as long as it has? Is Merlin and Excalibur that badass? Do you think this story still works in the modern world?

Also, as I heavily referenced an early depiction in written form  ... and I suspect TV, Broadway/Westend, books, film, and games that could creep in ...  I'm posting this in General Discussion cause potpourri. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Nice to see someone revived this. I find King Arthur one of my favorite characters. Too bad he died, at the hands of his son, no less. Well, actually, he was mortally wounded.

There was the Sword in the Stone, the Disney movie at least. and that Merlin mini-series from the nineties.

Edited by heavens-champion

• 3 years later...