Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had a previous relationship that you seriously regretted?

Emiko Gale

My first boyfriend proved that first is the worst.

6 years of both an abusive friendship and romantic relationship. He was shallow and lead me on and broke my heart a bunch of times and abandoned me at times.

And yet I seriously thought he was "the one" the person I would marry and have kids with...But the biggest reason I regret this is because I prioritized him over everything and everyone and including myself...I was willing to walk on coals and dump lava on myself to please him.

I wish I could've prioritized high school over him and my friends...And apologize to a friend a ditched for him.

But...Eventually I learned I could live without him...Both in a romantic way and a friendship way.................................I wish it didn't take this long for the light bulb to finally go off in my head but......Sometimes a happily ever after is moving on.

How about this; I was deeply betrayed by a person i considered one of my closest of friends. I felt humiliated and embarrassed about it, especially since i considered this person to be a childhood friend of mine, so when i discovered this betrayal, i chose to keep it a secret.

For a while, i bottled it in, even though i couldn't face my friend about and chose to slowly avoid contact with him. I thought i could get over it, only to find out later that this person betrayed my trust a second time.

This time i snapped. I was furious, to say the least, and confronted him about it. I think i grew silent when i heard his side of the story, but only because of his excuses and lies, and his attempts to downplay his transgressions against me all the while belittling my intelligence. That is when i could understand for the very first time what this person truly thought of me. I guess i was truly too naive or foolish before that.

It was hard, but i think i grew stronger because of that experience, so in a way i'm both glad for the lessons learned and remorseful for the time lost.

• Brohoof 1

How about this; I was deeply betrayed by a person i considered one of my closest of friends. I felt humiliated and embarrassed about it, especially since i considered this person to be a childhood friend of mine, so when i discovered this betrayal, i chose to keep it a secret.

For a while, i bottled it in, even though i couldn't face my friend about and chose to slowly avoid contact with him. I thought i could get over it, only to find out later that this person betrayed my trust a second time.

This time i snapped. I was furious, to say the least, and confronted him about it. I think i grew silent when i heard his side of the story, but only because of his excuses and lies, and his attempts to downplay his transgressions against me all the while belittling my intelligence. That is when i could understand for the very first time what this person truly thought of me. I guess i was truly too naive or foolish before that.

It was hard, but i think i grew stronger because of that experience, so in a way i'm both glad for the lessons learned and remorseful for the time lost.

Basically one of those friendships where your friend is so obsessed with being intelligent that they will stoop low and their close friend idiots and stupid while making a total imbecile out of his or herself?...Or something like that.

I'm not very good at this type of stuff...But that sucks.

• Brohoof 1

I've not really regretted any of my past relationships, except for one. I agree that the first isn't usually ideal, and mine was probably the most problematic of the lot - controlling behavior, argumentative (some people joke about traps their partners leave, where no matter what your answer, its going to start an argument - I've legitimately lived that), but funnily enough I still don't regret that one. It taught me a lot about relationships and am a much stronger (and ironically a much more confident person) because of it.

The one I regret started out (as they all did really) as a friendship - but a really, really good friendship that evolved (over the course of about 2 years) into a relationship. We got on so well, but unfortunately when the relationship ended, it killed our friendship. We are civil to each other, but have only met up once since ending it, and haven't been in contact with each other at all since then, which is a shame as we did get on so well before that. So yeah, that's the only one that I regret.

Emiko, I know how you must feel. Been through the weirdest situation whenever I found a girl who "in love" with me. I put more time on each ones been with me just to get to know them more. I sacrifice a lot of things just so they're happy whether it's me being there for them or if they having a bad day.

Previous girl I had died from heart failure after back from head tumor surgery. She were the only one out of dozens of girls I been with never dumped me. Even right now I beat myself up that it's my fault she passed away like a year ago. I don't know but I know it's my fault. That may explain in the past that so many girls took advantage over me and dumped me when they finish.

My personality is a mix of seriousness, randomness, and silly all around but I think no one in any relationship wants that from me. I wish they told me they hate my personality to make me feel bit better than me feeling worthless

• Brohoof 2

My second relationship, I kind of regret...We only dated for a couple of months and he went into it waaaayyy too fast. Saying he loved me after about a week or so and talking about our future like we were going to be together forever...all that I could forgive, but when we broke up he got really skeevy and started trying to date all of my friends and it was all just a really weird way to try to get me back...obviously it didn't work lol 

My first relationship wasn't really bad, but we didn't have a great breakup. I'll take full responsibility for that. I was a shitty person and lied to him to break up with him and it wasn't his fault at all, I was just being shitty. (Hey it was 8th grade; we're all pretty shitty when we're 15 haha) But I later on tried to be friends with him and things were ok with us until he contacted my current boyfriend and was telling him that I was attempting to get back with him...it was a mess...my current boyfriend didn't really care what he had to say because he was the one that told me that I should try to make up with him and be friends...

So yeah, I only really regret my second relationship, but there have definitely been other things that I regret when it comes to past relationships lol

My last LDR I had was one I regret.  While I did respect the guy I was with at the time, I didn't take the relationship as seriously as he did.  I never really took my relationships seriously around that time, I was so used to leaving places and "starting new" that I didn't even bother with making long lasting, genuine relationships(could be anything from a friend to whatever) but now that I've had some time to focus on past mistakes, I think I could take things more seriously now.  I just really regret how I treated him, I didn't treat him how I probably should have and if I ever did get the opportunity to say I'm sorry, I probably would take it.

• Brohoof 1

Basically one of those friendships where your friend is so obsessed with being intelligent that they will stoop low and their close friend idiots and stupid while making a total imbecile out of his or herself?...Or something like that.

I'm not very good at this type of stuff...But that sucks.

Kind of. I don't think it was to seem overtly intelligent more than to deny their guilt. Either way, i guess it doesn't matter. After that last argument i thought i finally understood him better. Didn't stop me from being angry though.

• Brohoof 1

I've had many things that I regretted ever doing, especially when it comes to relationships and falling for the wrong people.

One of them includes a long distance relationship I once thought was the best thing that happened to me, but become a living hell. I didn't feel happy, we could only talk at some points of the day, and I hated it. Nothing is worse than not feeling happy with someone you thought will be there for you and love you. It was like that relationship was one-sided, where I have to fight for it while the other side doesn't do anything but look at me struggle. The worst part about it was me having to lie about things, even after almost being betrayed by them in many ways. It was hurting me mentally and emotionally, and I know if that person didn't want to support that relationship and I had to do everything myself, I was going to give up trying sooner or later. After I realized I've had enough, I just decided to leave without saying a word.

But ever since that incident, my life changed for the better. I've learned from past mistakes and had become more happier with the relationship I have now. The feelings are mutual, both of us can be happy together and bring each other back up on our most difficult days. That was what I had always wanted in a relationship; dependability, loyalty and trust.

• Brohoof 2

My first boyfriend proved that first is the worst.

6 years of both an abusive friendship and romantic relationship. He was shallow and lead me on and broke my heart a bunch of times and abandoned me at times.

And yet I seriously thought he was "the one" the person I would marry and have kids with...But the biggest reason I regret this is because I prioritized him over everything and everyone and including myself...I was willing to walk on coals and dump lava on myself to please him.

I wish I could've prioritized high school over him and my friends...And apologize to a friend a ditched for him.

But...Eventually I learned I could live without him...Both in a romantic way and a friendship way.................................I wish it didn't take this long for the light bulb to finally go off in my head but......Sometimes a happily ever after is moving on.

Dang, that sucks.

The whole "the one" thing is something I think a lot of teenagers go through. You're young, you're stupid, you know how it is. I was like that with my first girlfriend, actually.

Haven't had any bad experiences myself, though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Probably just the first one since it was very one-sided, fast, and I had no idea what was acceptable to do in a relationship; I was pretty socially awkward.

I don't regret my last two :P . I only wish the second one wasn't as short as it was (though longer than the first) since it did ruin some of my self-confidence for a while. Some of it...

Edited by Woof Wolf

(edited)

I was in an emotionally abusive relationship three years ago that I regret more than anything. She almost got me killed at one point, as well as tried to have sex with a friend of mine. I don't feel like going into details about everything.

Edited by Ink Well

Yes, I have. I entered my first serious relationship when I was in high school and we ended up dating for about two whole years. However, our insecurities took advantage of us and we were very controlling of one another. We both struggled with irrational jealousy and it lead to countless arguments that sometimes lead to physical confrontation. Not to mention, my parents really disliked him. Ultimately, we separated. However, my ex partner at this time was not happy about this and managed to spread many rumors about me. I ended up losing quite a few friends- as they believed the rumors and thought that I was no longer a "fit" friend.

I ended up isolating myself at home and refused to attend school for about two weeks due to the bullying I was experiencing. I was then sent to a school refusal program that I had to attend during the day as opposed to actual school. (The place was about an hour and a half away and it was awful having to drive there five days a week- as I had to be there at 7:00am sharp). I took part in this program for a few months until I was deemed okay to be discharged where I also recieved help with self-injury. When I came back to school, I felt like a new person- as my ex partner had since graduated. Now, this all happened quite a few years ago, but I am no longer in contact with this person.

When you think about it, it's sometimes crazy how effective people can be on us.

• Brohoof 2

Back when I was a freshman in high school, I was dating this woman who was in my English class.

We were having a blast together until she insisted that I met her father. Needless to say that he did not like me one bit. He even said that I am "full of wickedness" because I'm not religious like him. Then things got worse when her sister accused me of cheating with this girl from our physical education class, even though this other woman was already taken. Then ultimately things fizzled out when I actually caught her making out with another guy.

I haven't talked to her since, and I regret ever wasting my time, energy, and money on her.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely sympathize with, and feel for, each of you guys(gals?  :) )... Not exactly being a Casanova (2 serious relationships in 5 almost 10 years, and having dealt with the sheer amount of drama that can occur (interesting how LEOs are only involved when there's a 'property dispute', although everything is set out and waiting for pickup...yeah, I really want your hair dryer... :/ ), I've come to the realization it's better to not deal with future 'mates', than to deal with potential liability issues.

When I think of the friendship my ex-GF and I had previous to the relationship, it's hard not to regret it just a bit. It's even harder now that it's all pretty much over, relationship or friendship. 2015 was a very emotionally taxing year for me. 2013 and beyond, I had put too much on being with her again. 2015 was the height of all of this. But she almost suddenly stopped being friends, and stopped talking to me altogether late last year. I still have no clue why. There was no communication whatsoever.

I may not be much better than dirt... but even still, I deserve to be treated better than that. Overall, seven years of my life were pretty much given away to her, and now I'm almost in my 30s and don't have even the slightest clue to go about relationships because for most of those seven years I thought there could be no one but her.

I'm not any better today. I found someone new that I liked, but it's near impossible, and it's weighing on me already. I'm old and don't have much faith in finding anyone...

(edited)

Several years ago my first and only girlfriend. Looking back I cant help but cringe and have my stomach to turn over from the experience.

This girl (who was over 20) bowed to everything mom told her, who was a tyrant, apparently hated men, and was also a religious fanatic. She did not let me take her daughter anywhere outside of school unless I go to church with them one time, which I did, but then this was not good enough for her. Also, this girl blatantly used me for money assuming that I pay for everything. (You know, the old "men always pick up the tab thing.") Heck, she even flatly told me to pay for one of her male friends lunch, saying "Well, you can pay..." when I was trying to figure out how to divide the tab.

Again, looking back, this relationship was one of the more disgusting experiences in my life that I assume not to think about, and would never repeat. I did learn from it, even if it was the hard way.

Edited by whitetiger187
  • Brohoof 1

Last relationship my "boyfriend" was emotionally detattatched, did a bunch of drugs, and fooled around behind my back. Not to mention they fraternised with people who bullied me. He had no sense of loyalty nor did he have the capacity to display emotions other than pure delight for acid or weed.

My ex said it was not cheating when she blew another guy because she was "going to tell me at some point" and I just "found out" which messed that up. Kind of wish I could get all the cash I spent on her back, but whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

I regret a seven year friendship with two different people, siblings to be exact. They usually got angry at me for every little thing and/or wanted me to choose sides when they were fighting. Plus, they never bothered to contact me and I usually had to initiate the friendship. I wasn't the perfect friend myself by any means, but I'm glad the relationship's over and I've moved on.

So there was this guy I was dating one time. He was incredibly pretentious and he was always talking down to me. In the beginning, I didn't see that. I thought I really was the stupid one of the two of us.

He pulled this shit on me where he was saying he was "polyamrous" and that he wasn't happy with just having me. And while I have nothing against people like that so long as everyone is consenting and comfortable, I definitely was not and never would be.

He and I would talk on facebook whenever we weren't seeing each other in school. The part I really regret about it all, was that my mother was in the hospital, dying of cancer. My dumb ass would sit on my phone IMing this guy, just to argue with him that I didn't want an open relationship. Instead of breaking up with him right there and actually spending the most of my time with mom during her last days.

Maybe I really am the dumb one for clinging on for as long as I did. Doesn't matter now, though. I've finally moved on.

• Brohoof 2