Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Britain has left the EU, your thoughts?

Xylosian

Wow. All the Labour MPs are resigning left and right like crazy. If this keeps up, the Labour party wouldn't be as popular as before. I guess that vote did leave a heavy toll on them.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, 'cause British racists have a good reason to kick immigrants out of the country without anything left off it now. Many Brits have shown that they're a-holes after this decision have been made for the UK. It makes me vomit, because those kind of people are the ones that need to GET OUT. "Make Britain white again" my bum. 

Wow. All the Labour MPs are resigning left and right like crazy. If this keeps up, the Labour party wouldn't be as popular as before. I guess that vote did leave a heavy toll on them.

Hopefully it means they will be replaced by better leadership, but that could take a while.

Yeah, 'cause British racists have a good reason to kick immigrants out of the country without anything left off it now. Many Brits have shown that they're a-holes after this decision have been made for the UK. It makes me vomit, because those kind of people are the ones that need to GET OUT. "Make Britain white again" my bum. 

From what I hear there were people on the left that voted leave as well so the racism of the leave voters seems grossly exaggerated. Immigration was a big issue, but there are others at play as well and there may have been some with racist motivations, there were others who realized that Britain should decide its own immigration policy free of outside interference and that allowing large numbers of immigrants from  hostile nations without proper controls is a bad idea.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I do not believe that 52% of British voters are racist. I'm friends to people who voted leave who are not racist. I think it's a bit silly to label the majority of British people as racists.

Edited by Kayleigh
  • Brohoof 3

@,

Well, these outspoken remainers are such upstanding members of the community! They're truthful to the last, and the leave camp has some racists in it, so they must all be so.

Utter rubbish. It's already been said that anyone already here lawfully will be able to stay after we leave. There won't be mass deportation of any one, and if I understand the Australian points system correctly, it doesn't give twenty points for being white, ten for Asians and five for everyone else. And I highly doubt we'll go back to having segregated bathrooms, it'd cost the government far too much money.

I mean, the leave camp may have 'lied' about the possible £350 million NHS funding, but remain said there very well could be nuclear war.

They also support a political organisation whose president literally said, and I quote, "When things start getting tough, start lying."

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Update on who things are going over there, as explained by someone funnier than I.

So far, it's sounding like a knee jerk reaction that's divided the country. I mean, I get that breaking off from the pack isn't easy. It took america a good few decades to get on it's feet. In an odd bit of coincidence, maybe it'll be the same for the U.K.  

However, on behalf of america, to the denizens of the British isles, I propose a trade. 

We'll handle the nasty divorce w/ the EU. You handle the presidential election between a weasel and a snake Trump and Hillary. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

Unlike the US. We're not isolationists.

Idk where you're getting your info from, but the US is anything but isolationist. 

I've learned that this vote was carried out primarily by the older generations living in England and wales. Which makes me wonder what the future will be like for the uk. Being blocked out from all the EU's benefits, which everyone under 30 has grown up with

(edited)

Idk where you're getting your info from, but the US is anything but isolationist. 

I've learned that this vote was carried out primarily by the older generations living in England and wales. Which makes me wonder what the future will be like for the uk. Being blocked out from all the EU's benefits, which everyone under 30 has grown up with

The way some people talk about Brexit, they speak of it as if we are going to build a wall between ourselves and Europe and several ALL ties with it which is just silly.

The US is the only country in the west in recent history that attempted to be isolationist albeit prior to WW2. But you have got to admit, alot of American polictics so seem to have this "Me, me, me." vibe when comes the US in relation to other countries. There is also the fact some Americans support a lunatic who actually does want to build a wall between the US and Mexico XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The way some people talk about Brexit, they speak of it as if we are going to build a wall between ourselves and Europe and several ALL ties with it which is just silly.

The US is the only country in the west in recent history that attempted to be isolationist albeit prior to WW2. But you have got to admit, alot of American polictics so seem to have this "Me, me, me." vibe when comes the US in relation to other countries. There is also the fact some Americans support a lunatic who actually does want to build a wall between the US and Mexico XD

Maybe you misunderstood. You said, "unlike the US, we're not isolationists" 

So I correct you in saying we're not isolationists. We get oil from all over the world. We dominate the UN. We have our military bases all across the planet. That cannot be considered isolationist. That's all. This country being primarily concerned with it's own interests doesn't make it isolationist. It participates more actively in world politics than perhaps any other single country.

Being entirely independent from the eu will still take a few years, but it might allow britain to play a different role on the world stage.

Edited by Zyrael

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the trade deal we organise with them. And the benefits aren't exactly all they're said to be, otherwise the vote would likely not have happened to begin with. Pay them a huge amount of money, only receive half back, and of that half we're not allowed to say what we spend it on? Give up democracy in return for the single market? Surrender our fishing zones, and be only able to sell about 20% of what we actually catch? Be able to work in the EU, in return for mass uncontrollable, unskilled migration from eastern European countries that is crippling our public services?

I think I'd take Brexit any day, unfortunately. As would most with genuine experience in life and work, as the vote has shown. The older, working class people who are this country's backbone.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe you misunderstood. You said, "unlike the US, we're not isolationists" 

So I correct you in saying we're not isolationists. We get oil from all over the world. We dominate the UN. We have our military bases all across the planet. That cannot be considered isolationist. That's all. This country being primarily concerned with it's own interests doesn't make it isolationist. It participates more actively in world politics than perhaps any other single country.

Being entirely independent from the eu will still take a few years, but it might allow britain to play a different role on the world stage.

Nah, what I meant is. If the US was breaking off from somewhere politically, it would break off hardcore. Britain (until now) is usually luke-warm when it comes to this sort of thing XD

Edited by Malinter

Let me just put that to bed right now.  That absolutely, categorically did not happen.  North Korea carried out a test of a ballistic missile, which could, potentially be used to deliver a nuclear warhead, and the test was conducted by launching the missile out over the sea, which is pretty standard practice for tests of this kind.

They did not fire a nuclear missile at Japan.

No, they just A. Have a Nuclear bomb

B. Developing the missle to use the bomb

C. Use the bomb

they are at B and very close to finishing B

No, they just A. Have a Nuclear bomb

B. Developing the missle to use the bomb

C. Use the bomb

they are at B and very close to finishing B

I don't think North Korea's neighbours Russia and China are thrilled at it developing a nuclear weapon and would go from less-thrilled to considering a form of power sniping if they armed it.

• Brohoof 1

Where I'm at it's probably going to be a mixed bag. The news caused stocks to drop and everyone to flood the bond market which is most likely going to cause mortgage rates to plummet. Seeing as I'm in the odd position of actually owning a home it means I can refi at a rate that probably won't be seen again for a while. On the other side of the coin I live in an area right by the Canadian boarder and our economy gains a significant amount of income from Canadians shopping down here. That being said the affect on the Canadian dollar (which is not doing so hot anyway with the price of oil being so low) could cause even more problems.

Seeing as the UK was like the 3rd largest contributor to the EU budget, it's going to put a lot of strain on Germany and France to keep things together. Assuming the EU can remain solvent that is without the UK.

(edited)

Seeing some of the things BBC posts makes me wonder if I'm fighting against time/a losing battle. According to several reports, seems like the "more educated" and generally younger crowd of Briains want to stay, but also were too lazy to show up at the polls.

But this got me thinking something, and now I'm feeling depressed again. If this is the case, it's all for nothing. If the young generation doesn't care about the concepts behind the leave, then what's the point? They'll just rejoin sometime later, yeah? Democracy works that way, sure, but.. I just feel the wave of euphoria crashing down. 

My main goals out of the Brexit campaign were predominately cultural ones. as other economic concerns will be dealt with one way or another through the market forces (and to be honest I have no idea what the punishment EU is going to dish out on Britain is going to be), I don't know how many young Britains care about that, I can't ask the majority of them, after all. But I think the only way to in particular keep the place from devolving into a diversified mess ('a la Nigeria), but also to retain whatever remnants of the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh, the only thing you could do is leave.

Why? Well, I'd like to think all people, not just young, think in a more objective sense. If a culture is worth saving it will save itself, so if its not something immediately present to me upon going somewhere, it's not important. That's how I think people think. Am I wrong? I mean I've seen people get the bad end of this before, particularly with Belarus since no one considers them a separate country, and Central Asia is our mess and I think others just generally assume they are our vassals forevermore™. 

This is something an American, too, has said in response to Ukraine going protectionist and demanding Ukrainian (by country of origin and language) music start being played at a certain percentage by law (although idk if this passed or not). He said that if its good music, it will sell itself, and it doesn't need any support. But I don't know, I'm sort of uncertain about these things. But whatever the case, I can't say I've ever felt like I could hop on any train of this crazy ride. I don't know what I am, I don't know what I want, I don't know what to see. Maybe it's because I'm so disconnected from European affairs other than what the news can tell me, but I just feel like it's all lost anyway and that the sort of "neo-liberal policies" or whatever you can call it is the new default for the future generations. 

Sorry for being all bitchy, everyone. To be honest I guess I just see the (near) future of the world being led by the American-European combo unless we get our **** together over here and do something with ourselves. And if that's the case, then we will be led by lazy but otherwise indifferent (or rather pro) people to the concept of unionisation and domain loss of sovereignty?

Edited by ARagY

I don't think North Korea's neighbours Russia and China are thrilled at it developing a nuclear weapon and would go from less-thrilled to considering a form of power sniping if they armed it.

think japan is much more at risk

The missle test was fired at there direction LOL

I have heard about this "Brexit the Movie" and decided to give it a watch. It is quite enlightening and while it does mention immigration it focuses more on the economic, corruption and accountability issues for why in their opinion Britain should vote leave (the documentary was released before the vote). As an American so much of this sounds so familiar to me, granted there is no North American, thankfully but there is still a lot of corruption, corporate cronyism and lack of accountability and threats to national sovereignty and self determination in my country as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0

• Brohoof 1

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the trade deal we organise with them. And the benefits aren't exactly all they're said to be, otherwise the vote would likely not have happened to begin with.

52% to 48% was the margin for leaving. That's very slim by any standard... 

I think I'd take Brexit any day, unfortunately. As would most with genuine experience in life and work, as the vote has shown. The older, working class people who are this country's backbone.

Lots of young people who would prefer to stay in the EU have had "genuine experience in life and work" too. I'm concerned about what you're saying here. Because after all, england and wales drove for "leave" just enough to make it happen. Not the rest of the UK. Not to mention the result of this has been economic suicide for britain. I imagine people like you are expecting to rebound from that, but it makes me wonder. 

• Brohoof 1

In case anypony is interested, here is the Aussie points system: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/immigration-points-test.aspx

Seems fair to me. Oh, and regarding Scotland, here's something interesting that was emailed to me: https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/01/scotlandengland-maritime-boundaries/So yeah, Tony Blair screwed Scotland already; those oilfields that Nicola Sturgeon keeps on about are in English waters. Oh, and Tony Blair is not English; he's Scottish.

• 4 years later...