Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Britain has left the EU, your thoughts?

Xylosian

The fact that Scotland and Ireland didn't want to leave and Scotland tried to declare independence before, means that there is a possibility this could break up the United Kingdom.

okay, pleas don't be mad at me now but I think don't like it. I'm dutch myself so I prabably don't know much about it and you will all shout at me and such but pleas, don't.

I realy think it's bad, now that britain left, other countries will think that the EU is just a little club you can join and leave whenever you feel like it. in my doomsday brain I already see a whole lot of other countries leave, then trump becomes president of the US and boom, we have one gigantic war and no one is going to help eachother, which was why the EU was made, to help eachother in times of emergency. I'm seriously scared for the furure now, and I know I shouldn't but I am.

and, on a more perosnal level, now my whole studie dream and dream future is screwed. I really really wanted to go studie in britain once I finished highschool, or do at least a part of my studie there but  now I cant. and it's also going to be a lot harder to go live there when I grow up. I realy would have loved to move to england when I finished my studie but that's going to be a lot harder now. and if I did, it would be a lot harder for my family to come visit me now that there is no free traveling between the EU and britain.

• Brohoof 1

WEll I didnt expect them to leave and I dont think this is very good for the EU or the UK. THose who talk about uncontrolable immagration into the UK known nothing. German yhas taken in over a million refugeees the UK?? WAY LESS because france stopped them at callais, And I dont think frqance will continue to stop them now. SO your uncontrollable migration is comming very soon. Hundreds of brits who work abroad now have to ask a work visum. Major banks said they leave the UK if they left the EU. no longer exchange projects for other EU nations (or at least they are less easy to do). I mean yeah there are some upsides to this but this feels like, well cant have it our way immidiatly so we will trow out the baby with the bath water.

which was why the EU was made, to help eachother in times of emergency.

The EU came about as a result of the European Economic Community, which, as the name suggests, was a purely economic entity created to promote free trade within the EEC area.  There neither is, nor ever was, any military component to it.  NATO already existed for mutual defence, and indeed still does exist, as it is an entirely separate entity to the EU.

I really really wanted to go studie in britain once I finished highschool, or do at least a part of my studie there but now I cant.

That isn't entirely true, although it may not be as easy now, there are a great many people who come to the UK from outside the EU on study visas, and there is no reason to assume that you would not be able to do so, if you still wish to.

• Brohoof 1

The EU came about as a result of the European Economic Community, which, as the name suggests, was a purely economic entity created to promote free trade within the EEC area.  There neither is, nor ever was, any military component to it.  NATO already existed for mutual defence, and indeed still does exist, as it is an entirely separate entity to the EU.

That isn't entirely true, although it may not be as easy now, there are a great many people who come to the UK from outside the EU on study visas, and there is no reason to assume that you would not be able to do so, if you still wish to.

oh, okay. thanks for clarifying those things :twi:  as I said, I don't know much about it.  :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

okay, pleas don't be mad at me now but I think don't like it. I'm dutch myself so I prabably don't know much about it and you will all shout at me and such but pleas, don't.

I realy think it's bad, now that britain left, other countries will think that the EU is just a little club you can join and leave whenever you feel like it. in my doomsday brain I already see a whole lot of other countries leave, then trump becomes president of the US and boom, we have one gigantic war and no one is going to help eachother, which was why the EU was made, to help eachother in times of emergency. I'm seriously scared for the furure now, and I know I shouldn't but I am.

and, on a more perosnal level, now my whole studie dream and dream future is screwed. I really really wanted to go studie in britain once I finished highschool, or do at least a part of my studie there but  now I cant. and it's also going to be a lot harder to go live there when I grow up. I realy would have loved to move to england when I finished my studie but that's going to be a lot harder now. and if I did, it would be a lot harder for my family to come visit me now that there is no free traveling between the EU and britain.

Whoa there, chill alittle.

For starters, NATO was made to stop wars and stuff destroying Europe not the EU. Also Britain has sent aid to disaster areas outside of the EU so there is also that.

You still can study here. Us leaving the EU doesn't mean were gonna build a huge wall around us and mine the english channel! It may cost more to get here but as long as you have all the legal paper work and stuff they ask of you. You should still be able to do what you need to do. And nothing will stop your folks coming to see you as long as everything is done properly.

WEll I didnt expect them to leave and I dont think this is very good for the EU or the UK. THose who talk about uncontrolable immagration into the UK known nothing. German yhas taken in over a million refugeees the UK?? WAY LESS because france stopped them at callais, And I dont think frqance will continue to stop them now. SO your uncontrollable migration is comming very soon. Hundreds of brits who work abroad now have to ask a work visum. Major banks said they leave the UK if they left the EU. no longer exchange projects for other EU nations (or at least they are less easy to do). I mean yeah there are some upsides to this but this feels like, well cant have it our way immidiatly so we will trow out the baby with the bath water.

The problem wasn't that it was "uncontrolable", it was the fact that the EU wouldn't let us even try. And France only stopped them after we started station British police on French soil and started putting fences all around the damn place. Your also not taking into a could that this is a problem that gets worse and worse the longer it isn't resolved.

Edited by Malinter

The blame for the UK leaving the EU lies squarely on the shoulders of the EU institutions.  They were told time and time and time again that they needed to reform, to become more democratic, less bureaucratic, less wasteful, but they refused to change.

They were warned repeatedly that the population of the UK was deeply distrustful of the EU, but they ignored those warnings at every turn.  They arrogantly assumed that the UK would not have the minerals to pull out.  We called their bluff.  Now, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and others, are coming under increasing pressure from their populations to hold referendums of their own.

The UK may only be the tip of the iceberg, there could conceivably be a domino effect, and every country that votes out, will only embolden the countries that follow to do the same.  We may be witnessing the death throes of the EU because Juncker, Tusk and their cronies were too blinkered to see what the EU has become.

Every upcoming election in Europe will now be heavily influenced, if not outright dominated, by this issue.  Parties on the right wing will offer referendums as part of their manifesto, and will make huge gains because of it, just as the Conservatives in the UK achieved a majority largely because they offered the referendum that has just taken place.

Maybe it's a flash in the pan, maybe it ends at it began, with the UK.  But if the EU doesn't reform as a matter of urgency, there may be further exits.  If the EU collapses because of their refusal to acknowledge that the bloated monster it has become is not what was promised when the European Economic Community was born those many years ago, then they will have nobody but themselves to blame when they are looking at the rubble from atop their ivory tower in Brussels, wondering where it all went wrong.

The fact that Scotland and Ireland didn't want to leave and Scotland tried to declare independence before, means that there is a possibility this could break up the United Kingdom.

Actually, it's Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland have their own flags with only the latter being in the UK. This map shows how the borders split the island.

You're definitely right about the possibility of Scotland and/or N. Ireland seceding from the UK. It's going to be an interesting couple of years. Can you pass the popcorn?

This will be an interesting time for Ireland. Over 25% of the population take up residency there at some point, either for job opportunities or further education in facilities or institutions that this country simply lacks. Anglo-Irish relations have been a core part of both countries for decades now (we both entered the EU at the same time) and I really do wonder how this is going to affect that. Will the border between North and South once again become a line of heavy blockades, travel restrictions and goods embargo? During the time of the Irish Free State it was once the most heavily defended border in the world. Though interestingly enough it appears that Northern Ireland didn't share that same desire to leave. I don't think they'll turn their backs on the UK, but it's certainly a telling sign of how things have changed up there.

People instinctively fear change, it's always been that way, so I'm not going to just conform to the outside opinion that this was a bad move straight away. Give it a couple of years and then we'll see where we are at. For now, all we can do is ponder and watch the fallout.

I actually see it as being very similar to July 4th for the USA.  You had the enabled and rich generally not wanting to leave England and the rest despising things being done where they had no real control over.  Now you have the enabled and rich in England wanting to stay within the EU and the rest not liking decisions made in the EU which affect them.  They decided to leave.

• Brohoof 3

I wish you Brits, Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish the best of luck. You've chosen to walk the path of your own destiny and that means taking all the responsibilities that come with it. The road is going to be rough for there will surely be reprisal but if that's what it's going to take to become sovereign, then so be it, right? That said, you now only have yourselves to work towards a prosperous and sovereign UK. You've got your work cut out for you but that's exactly what you were expecting, weren't you? That's exactly what you're going to do.

Now go forth and show all of us just what the UK can do on its own. Everything you achieve from here will be on you. Now get to it, the world is watching :)

• Brohoof 3

@@Jonny Music,Okay, so I haven't been following BRExit all that much but how exactly was this about racism and bigotry? Most of the talking points have been about economics and bureaucracy, not race.  :confused:  

A large proportion of the remain supporters were attempting to shame the leave supporters into switching by making the whole debate about immigration, and accusing everyone who wanted to leave of being racist and xenophobic.

• Brohoof 3

The reaction by remain voters just twelve hours after the results were announced ranges from petty to truly deluded. Calling for another referendum? Sorry, but David Cameron said that the vote would be final. Scotland leaving the 400-year union and joining the EU, despite the fact that they have little to no economic power, no industry, and lax tourism? Sure, could always do with a colder Greece for the EU to bail out. London seceding from the United Kingdom and declaring itself an independent state? Bloody well impossible.

If anything, this reaction has shown how dire our situation really is. If these supporters of the remain campaign can calm down, and stop believing in the fantasies spread by the (Soon to be ex) Prime Minister's project fear, then we can get on with life outside the EU. Uncertainty breeds uncertainty, and RyanAir CEO Michael O'Leary's recent statement, that his company will not invest in the UK for at least two years, is a poor bloody show. I've no doubt that every leave voter knew that it would never be easy, both economically and socially. But remain has to admit that the leave campaign won. Only then can we put aside our differences, and start working together to create a Britain worthy of the prelude Great. We've been given a chance to rise to one bloody bastard of a challenge, and since when have we ever taken such things lying down? Did the demographic with the highest turnout in this referendum, the elderly, build our country to what it is today by whinging that life wasn't fair? No. They got here with hard work, sweat, and limitless British enthusiasm. Did Margaret Thatcher, when faced with bullying and underhand tactics from the EEC, submit to their command? No. No. No! She damn near beat François Mitterrand to a pulp, and secured a rebate from our EU payments, unfortunate in that it was not a withdrawal from the union altogether. And did Field Marshal the Lord Wellington, when faced with an overwhelming French army at Waterloo, his Prussian allies nowhere in sight, turn tail and run? No, by God! He stood his ground, and held the French long enough to win the day, and destroy a tyrant, an unelected lord of all Europe.

For that's what we do. We stand, whether in the European Union or alone, and fight for our right to exist as a nation in this world. And now maybe we stand alone, but for each other. So, remainers, do not extend Britain's suffering. But work with your fellows to improve our great nation, perhaps to heights it has never seen.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

A large proportion of the remain supporters were attempting to shame the leave supporters into switching by making the whole debate about immigration, and accusing everyone who wanted to leave of being racist and xenophobic.

Oh, great. SJWs using political correctness and identity politics to destroy any real discussion. Honestly, that crowd is only bolstering the right wing by making themselves look bonkers and idiotic by comparison. I miss the days when it was the religious right vs the more composed and intellectual left.

If these people care so much about people outside their borders, they should be donating their money to charities that get shit done. I'm serious. By improving the living conditions inside other countries, people from those countries would rather stay there.

Edited by Melanoma
  • Brohoof 3

Pretty shocked that this actually went through. I haven't been following this topic much myself, but I wish the UK the best of luck.

Reading about lal of this makes me wish Indiana would secede, but one can dream.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

There is a petition, but petitions are not binding, the most that the government can be forced to do off the back of a petition is to consider the matter for debate.  They don't even have to hold the debate, just consider it.  It won't happen anyway, it was already stated that the result of the referendum would be binding.  This is nothing more than butthurt individuals who were on the minority side trying to force another vote until they get their own way.  It's the political equivalent of holding their breath because mummy told them to go to bed.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

There is a petition, but petitions are not binding, the most that the government can be forced to do off the back of a petition is to consider the matter for debate.  They don't even have to hold the debate, just consider it.

So, I guess this means the decision is absolute and there's no way to change it back.

• Brohoof 2

So, I guess this means the decision is absolute and there's no way to change it back.

That has been confirmed by not only the UK government but by the EU as well.  Juncker stated that if we vote out, then we leave, there will be no renegotiations.

• Brohoof 2

That has been confirmed by not only the UK government but by the EU as well.  Juncker stated that if we vote out, then we leave, there will be no renegotiations.

I see. Well, thank Celestia the referendum is over and I'm pleased with the decision. 

• Brohoof 3

scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay, but as it's a part of britain, is forced to leave. Maybe scotland will have another go at leaving the UK because of this.

I'll look forward to seeing how britain will turn out in the future. Hopefully for the better

• Brohoof 1

Although Britain has the EU, it has instead become a US protectorate, for many American businesses have all ready replaced many of Britain's traditional businesses, so they merely replaced Brussels with Washington D.C., and independence from Europe, to dependence on the United States. Even if the UK got closer to Canada, Australia and New Zealand, these countries do not have enough GDP to prop up the UK, politically or economically, and these countries still trade with the EU, so time will tell if the UK can be successful, but it would need the United States even more now. It seems like the UK fell into the nationalist trap, thinking they do not need their neighbours to thrive, I think the UK has learned too much from the United States, Britain could look more like an American state or territory, than the sovereign country, you might be surprised how much American influence there is in the country, especially from General Dynamics UK and Lockheed Martin, all I can say is good luck and farewell, Britain is not an empire anymore, and it's culture is beginning to look more American, it's a victory for the Anglo-sphere, but victory can leave a price more costly than they were expecting.