Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Britain has left the EU, your thoughts?

Xylosian

No-one is happy in the EU.

48% in favour. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that there aren't those of us that do - I would take it as is rather than leave it. Of course we respect democracy, but it was a close-run thing and many are in favour of the EU. 

(edited)

48% in favour. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that there aren't those of us that do - I would take it as is rather than leave it. Of course we respect democracy, but it was a close-run thing and many are in favour of the EU. 

Nope, that 48% was asked if they wanted to "remain in the EU". If you asked them "Are you happy to be in the EU" i can bet you anything it sure as hell will not be 48%

Edited by Malinter

Nope, that 48% was asked if they wanted to "remain in the EU". If you asked them "Are you happy to be in the EU" i can bet you anything it sure as hell will not be 48%

I have no idea what the figure might be, but there certainly was a lot of 'better the devil you know' sentiment among remain supporters.

I have no idea what the figure might be, but there certainly was a lot of 'better the devil you know' sentiment among remain supporters.

i'm pretty sure there were some people in the leave party that would have liked us to stay in the EU. I myself can understand why they might. But the EU as refused to make any changes in its structure. It has gone on so long it simply believed that none of its member states would ever question the status quo. For some, voting out was the only way to make them take notice. And in some ways it has. A few of them have brought up the need for change before other member states get dissatisfied to the point they also leave,

• Brohoof 2

i'm pretty sure there were some people in the leave party that would have liked us to stay in the EU. I myself can understand why they might. But the EU as refused to make any changes in its structure. It has gone on so long it simply believed that none of its member states would ever question the status quo. For some, voting out was the only way to make them take notice. And in some ways it has. A few of them have brought up the need for change before other member states get dissatisfied to the point they also leave,

I am happy that we're leaving, but I would have been happier if it hadn't come this.  They were warned time and time again that they needed to reform, but they flat out refused.  They thought we were bluffing and they tried to call us on it.  And now this has happened.  Only now, as you already said, are they finally admitting that they need to reform, but you can guarantee that the reformation they'll offer will be too little, too late.  I very much doubt that the UK will be the only country to show the EU its heels.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You all should have a look at that second referendum petition. The amount of people that signed the petition is sky high! Still, I don't think that would change anything.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

You all should have a look at that second referendum petition. The amount of people signed the petition is sky high! Still, I don't think that would change anything.

The petition only requires the government to consider the matter for debate, not actually debate it.  And given that the people signing it are invariably she same people that voted for remain, I can't see it being taken seriously unless it attracts more signatures than the amount of people who voted for leave.  Also, there has been numerous reports of rampant fudgery going on, with people posting comments on Twitter and asking foreign nationals to sign the petition, providing postcodes for them them to use.  So if they take a close look at the petition it'll most likely be thrown out due to corruption.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

The petition only requires the government to consider the matter for debate, not actually debate it.  And given that the people signing it are invariably she same people that voted for remain, I can't see it being taken seriously unless it attracts more signatures than the amount of people who voted for leave.  Also, there has been numerous reports of rampant fudgery going on, with people posting comments on Twitter and asking foreign nationals to sign the petition, providing postcodes for them them to use.  So if they take a close look at the petition it'll most likely be thrown out due to corruption.

Hmm...So, the petition was only made for the government to have a look at it and see if Brexit is a good idea even though the decision was already made, right?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You all should have a look at that second referendum petition. The amount of people signed the petition is sky high! Still, I don't think that would change anything.

Wouldn't change anything. The EU is very unhappy with the poop we've left on their front lawn. It was like that when we got here. XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
Hmm...So, the petition was only made for the government to have a look at it and see if Brexit is a good idea even though the decision was already made, right?

These government petitions are not binding in any sense, at 10,000 signatures it is required that a government official respond to it, and at 100,000 signatures, the matter has to be considered for a parliamentary debate, the result of that consideration can also be that the petition is ignored.

The petitioning system though is wide open to abuse, all you have to do is tick a box saying that you are a UK citizen or resident, and provide a post code, which can easily be got online from anywhere in the world, which is exactly what people have been doing on twitter, a matter which has been brought to the attention of the police.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

These government petitions are not binding in any sense, at 10,000 signatures it is required that a government official respond to it, and at 100,000 signatures, the matter has to be considered for a parliamentary debate, the result of that consideration can also be that the petition is ignored.

The petitioning system though is wide open to abuse, all you have to do is tick a box saying that you are a UK citizen or resident, and provide a post code, which can easily be got online from anywhere in the world, which is exactly what people have been doing on twitter, a matter which has been brought to the attention of the police.

I see. To tell you the truth, I'm not really fond of politics so I can get pretty confused with information like this.

But the most important thing is that the referendum is behind us. After a few days, everything would be calm again...I think.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 2

I know nothing of European politics, but this doesn't seem like a very good plan. The UK has been part of the EU for a while (from what I can tell) and there must be a lot that needs to be changed. Also, travel between countries will become much more complicated. Europe is not very large and people travel between countries constantly. The UK is an important country and now it will be extra complicated to travel to and from Britain. I don't know how else the EU operates, but leaving doesn't seem like the best plan. I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland leave and try to rejoin the EU.

I know nothing of European politics, but this doesn't seem like a very good plan. The UK has been part of the EU for a while (from what I can tell) and there must be a lot that needs to be changed.

We tried to get them to change, for a long time.  They didn't listen.  We told them that if they didn't reform, that Britain would leave.  They didn't listen.  David Cameron went to them a few months before the referendum, begging for some small crumb, some token to take back to the British people, to show that we meant something to them.  They didn't listen.  So now, we are leaving, and other countries like the Netherlands, France and Italy are demanding referendums of their own.  Maybe now that it's too late, they'll finally listen.

We tried to get them to change, for a long time.  They didn't listen.  We told them that if they didn't reform, that Britain would leave.  They didn't listen.  David Cameron went to them a few months before the referendum, begging for some small crumb, some token to take back to the British people, to show that we meant something to them.  They didn't listen.  So now, we are leaving, and other countries like the Netherlands, France and Italy are demanding referendums of their own.  Maybe now that it's too late, they'll finally listen.

By change I meant what needs to be done Post-Leave, not Pre-Leave.

(edited)

UK only wanted all the privileges in the EU, but didn't want take over duties. That's not how it works, so good riddance, i guess. Won't save you from islamization, either. You already have 5% in England and they will grow. Future is their friend and they will not protect the queen.

my unpopular thought on this. :please:

Edited by Swifty

I actually see it as being very similar to July 4th for the USA.  You had the enabled and rich generally not wanting to leave England and the rest despising things being done where they had no real control over.  Now you have the enabled and rich in England wanting to stay within the EU and the rest not liking decisions made in the EU which affect them.  They decided to leave.

Which was why it was so ironic to have Americans like Obama demanding that Britain remain in the EU. I mean, America fought a war to free themselves from the clutches of the British Empire, but Britain isn't supposed to vote to free themselves from the EU? :P

Also... first there was Brexit and next... Frexit? http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/654175/French-voters-demand-Frexit-EU-referendum-Germany-UK-Brexit

To be followed by Nexit, Grexit, Departugal, Quitaly, Czechout, Oustria, Finish, Slovakout, Latervia, Byegium, Donemark, Lithawaynia and a few others.

I am impressed by your ability to make "exit" synonyms out of every European country. :)

(edited)

Alas this is how democracy works.  If we hold exams to determine who is fit to vote then the system becomes something else entirely.  democracy may not be the best option but an overt oligarchy would be a huge step backwards for society.

*Inserting accurate and hilarious Blackadder quote here*

E: Well, Mrs. Miggins, at last we can return to sanity. The hustings are

over, the bunting is down, the mad hysteria is at an end. After the

chaos of a general election, we can return to normal.

M: Oh, has there been a general election, then, Mr. Blackadder?

E: Indeed there has, Mrs. Miggins.

M: Oh, well, I never heard about it.

E: Well of course you didn't; you're not eligible to vote.

M: Well, why not?

E: Because virtually no-one is: women, peasants, (looks at Baldrick)

chimpanzees, lunatics, Lords...

B: That's not true -- Lord Nelson's got a vote!

E: He's got a boat, Baldrick. Marvelous thing, democracy. Look at

Manchester: population, 60,000; electoral roll, 3.

M: Well, I may have the brain the size of a sultana...

E: Correct...

M: ...but it hardly seems fair to me.

E: Of course it's not fair - and a damn good thing too. Give the like of

Baldrick the vote and we'll be back to cavorting druids, death by

stoning, and dung for dinner.

Edit: This link on the crybaby petition was just emailed to me. Who knew? https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/06/25/whoopsie-70-of-parliament-petition-signatures-demanding-another-eu-referendum-dont-live-in-the-u-k/

Edited by Pripyat Pony
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
This link on the crybaby petition was just emailed to me. Who knew?

It's because, unfortunately, a large portion of 'In' voters are spoon-fed, spoilt millennials who have suddenly been brought into the real world, where they can lose something for once, where the EU isn't a cheaper plane ticket to Ibiza or the south of France. So, rather than rioting, they take to social media to call on their 'international allies'! Who all comfort the 'Poor' (Maybe 'technically economically' with the drop of the pound, but not compared to the working class) dears. Actually, maybe they will riot. After the conservative majority was announced last year, there were a couple 'riots', where the Labour party headquarters were trashed, the women's war memorial got vandalised (Bloody poor show on that part), and two dozen of them got arrested. Silly buggers, can't even damage the right party's property.  My local riot was great- 'bout a thousand of them turned up at the local college green, started shouting SJW slogans, and then a few literal (in their minds, maybe) justice warriors got arrested for throwing bottles at the 4 or 5 police who turned up. But they got on the news, and got to scream they were 'physically oppressed' by the conservative crony policemen.

Anyway, there's no guarantee that parliament will act on it, especially now we know a majority of petitioners don't even live in the UK. I signed a petition for the government to combat soaring insurance rates for under 25s, got about 200,000 signatures, and they wrote back an open letter that said little more than "We don't care.". I mean, you have to at least get 600,000 legit signatures (That being 1% of the population) before they even consider it, from past experience.

Edited by ForthEorl
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

UK only wanted all the privileges in the EU, but didn't want take over duties. That's not how it works, so good riddance, i guess. Won't save you from islamization, either. You already have 5% in England and they will grow. Future is their friend and they will not protect the queen.

my unpopular thought on this. :please:

Wrong. We only wanted 4 key areas tweaked abit but the EU didn't want that. The UK was one of the strongest military forces the EU had. Now that we  are leaving, Russia is rubbing its hands with glee just waiting for an excuse to rip the EU another ***hole so have fun with that...

The UK does't have a problem with Muslims.... just the crazy ones which sneak in pretending hiding amongst the immigrants whIch fyi the EU has practically aimed right at us. The Future is a stranger and a friend to no-one. The Queen has seen more shit go down in her lifetime than some islamist fruitcake. She can handle herself. XD

Edited by Malinter