Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity's Background

Chrysalisa

Sisterhooves Social really makes you think about Rarity's background, definitely.

I'm thinking she probably had an early life story similar to Applejack's, sent off to live in a big city among high society. The difference being that Rarity chose to stay while Applejack chose to go back home.

Don't you mean including Sweetie Belle?

Yes, but that only showed how she got her cutie mark. I'm curious about her life as a filly and her parents / family (excluding Sweetie Belle).

She's cute too! :wub:

Posted Image

Rarity would hate you if you hated her wittle sista. :(

• Brohoof 2

Actually, Rarity seemed to have the most normal brackground out of the main group. How about some more Applejack? or Pinkie character development.

(edited)

Sweet Home Chicago

Based on her parents' accents, dress and behavior (and the background music) in Sisterhooves Social, I suspect Rarity is from Chicago, or the pony equivalent of Chicago...

Exhibit A: Rarity's parents.

Exhibit B: Typical Chicagoans enjoying fine cuisine.

Though she no doubt loves her family, Rarity seems more than eager to put her humble past behind her -- and probably her mother's cooking as well.

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 1

Well, Sweetie Belle clearly lives in Ponyville, so I think it's pretty clear that her and Rarity's parents live there as well. Rarity herself, however, lives on her own at this point, as she owns and operates her own boutique.

As for her parents, first, let me start by saying I absolutely love them, since they sound exactly like what a lot of my relatives in Wisconsin sound like (I mean, seriously, they are total cheeseheads... and I love it :D !!!). As for where they live, what they do, etc., as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure they live in Ponyville, since it's clear from Sisterhooves Social that Sweetie Belle still lives with them. As to what they do, IDK, they're probably townsponies who work at or operate one of the stores in town that we haven't seen. Finally, as to how Rarity developed her love for fashion and high society, my guess is that it was always a part of who she was, and maybe after her family took a trip or a few trips to Canterlot, Rarity settled on making fashion/high society her passion and to devote herself towards mastering both. Well that's my theory anyway; whaddya ya'll think?

• Brohoof 1

I'm curious about her upbringing too.

Something tells me Rarity doesn't like who she is and wants to be someone else. Her parents look like nice simple folk who lived in Ponyville all their lives. Same with Rarity but for some reason, she wants to leave Ponyville and live in Canterlot with a sophisticated life style. Maybe she isn't satisfied with her life. I've always wondered why the show dropped her dream of becoming a great fashionista in exchange for being Canterlot elite.

Many fans find her shallow and superficial in general. I don't blame them. Sometimes she comes off as a wannabe especially the way how the show depicts Canterlot elite in general as being snobs and how she wants to be like that. The only thing I found redeeming about her is being artistic and that part about her is awesome.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Haven't you seen Sisterhooves Social? Rarity's parents appear at the start of the episode and seem to be like midwestern-style farm folk. :/

Yes, I have seen Sisterhooves Social. Rarity's mother seems to be more of a middle-upper class type of pony, and her father more of a farmer. Where I'm confused, is how she became so interested in high class society. If her parents do in fact live in Ponyville, then what could their roles be? Her mother doesn't seem like the type to have been raised in Ponyville, so I'm thinking that she must have met Rarity's father from visiting town, and later moved there. Still, if Rarity lived in Ponyville all of her life (this is based on her father living in Ponyville his whole life), then how does she have the mannerism of a Canterlot / Manehattan pony?

Well, Sweetie Belle clearly lives in Ponyville, so I think it's pretty clear that her and Rarity's parents live there as well. Rarity herself, however, lives on her own at this point, as she owns and operates her own boutique.

As for her parents, first, let me start by saying I absolutely love them, since they sound exactly like what a lot of my relatives in Wisconsin sound like (I mean, seriously, they are total cheeseheads... and I love it :D !!!). As for where they live, what they do, etc., as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure they live in Ponyville, since it's clear from Sisterhooves Social that Sweetie Belle still lives with them. As to what they do, IDK, they're probably townsponies who work at or operate one of the stores in town that we haven't seen. Finally, as to how Rarity developed her love for fashion and high society, my guess is that it was always a part of who she was, and maybe after her family took a trip or a few trips to Canterlot, Rarity settled on making fashion/high society her passion and to devote herself towards mastering both. Well that's my theory anyway; whaddya ya'll think?

This does make sense to me, she probably visited Canterlot with her parents after she found out what her special talent was. Noting how classy the ponies were in Canterlot, that's when she probably became fascinated with that type of lifestyle.

Edited by Chrysalis

Sweet Home Chicago

Based on her parents' accents, dress and behavior (and the background music) in Sisterhooves Social, I suspect Rarity is from Chicago, or the pony equivalent of Chicago...

http-~~-//www.youtube.c...h?v=ZWpIYnuD-jE

Exhibit A: Rarity's parents.

ll.

This just makes me wonder why rarity has a british accent but her parents and sister don't.

Posted Image

(edited)

This just makes me wonder why rarity has a british accent but her parents and sister don't.

It's not so much a British accent as it is a refined urbanite accent, perhaps typical of the mannerisms of the most elite residents of upper Manhattan (or I guess since we're talking Equestria here, upper Manehattan, or Canterlot as well... point is, it's not so much British as being simply refined), and to be honest, one can refine an accent, at least over time and with a lot of practice.

Edited by Batbrony

I've always wondered why Dexter from Dexter's Lab had an accent while his sister and parents did not.

I wouldn't be surprised if in one episode we find that Rarity's accent was actually as fake as her eye lashes.

• Brohoof 1

It's not so much a British accent as it is a refined urbanite accent, perhaps typical of the mannerisms of the most elite residents of upper Manhattan (or I guess since we're talking Equestria here, upper Manehattan, or Canterlot as well... point is, it's not so much British as being simply refined), and to be honest, one can refine an accent, at least over time and with a lot of practice.

Possible, just seems odd that one would do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if in one episode we find that Rarity's accent was actually as fake as her eye lashes.

lol, I'd love to hear her real accent then, like if she has the same accent as her dad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

her parents or atleast her dad seems more like a farm type pony  and he lives near the ponyville mill and  does some fishing , but rarity wanted to be a fashionista and never gave up on her dream  Moved living into her boutique on heer own at young age <3<3<3  amazing <3<3

• 5 weeks later...

Rarity is the only one of the Mane Six who was born and raised in Ponyville.

Applejack: Sweet Apple Acres, outside Ponyville.

Pinkie Pie: Igneous Rock's quarry and rock farm, WAY outside Ponyville.

Rainbow Dash: Cloudsdale.

Fluttershy: Cloudsdale.

Twilight Sparkle: Canterlot.

At least it looks like her parents still live in or near Ponyville. Don't know why they take a taxi to come visit their daughters, but you don't take a taxi to travel across half of Equestria.

Rarity must have somehow gotten interested in the finer things in life, finer than anything you have in that rural burg. Like fashion. She began to dream of being a fashionista. And it must have been around that time when she began to speak in what'd amount to a "Mid-Atlantic" English, not quite American, not quite British, but quite posh. And she began to form a future in luxurious Canterlot as her goal. Fate's choice for her, shown in her cutie mark, added to this and signalled her that she was past her point of no return.

Rarity has an accent because she thinks it makes her sound high class. (In Sweet and Elite she is shown to be a social climber. Hayseed, you are wastng your time).  Rarity says she is a Ponyville pony, but at some point she must have left to study fashion (Possibly Manehatten, as hinted in Rarity Takes Manehatten).  Then, for some reason she returned to Ponyville.