Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Starlight Glimmer more powerful than Twilight?

Azureth

9 minutes ago, Megas said:

She's a ridiculously op character. A lot of it coming down to favoritism on the writers

Her power almost never actually helps her though. If anything it's the cause of a lot of her problems.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think she is. I think she's on par with unicorn Twilight but is much more daring. If Unicorn Twilight wanted to learn how to take peoples cutie marks... I think she would figure it out. Even a fake evil Twilight made by Chrissy was stronger than Chrissy, I think she just hesitates a lot and doesn't use magic as much as Starlight. If the world bout to end... i ain't going to Glim glam... i'm going to Purple Spark.

Edited by Kadeda

I think it is established that Starlight was stronger than (alicorn!) Twi when they battled, and she has only gotten stronger and more skilled since then.

Now that Twi has reached her full Queen size though, she has presumably also levelled up beyond where any unicorn (even Starlight or Starswirl) could reach.

7 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

Her power almost never actually helps her though. If anything it's the cause of a lot of her problems.

Sure, but that isn't lack of power, its lack of maturity and understanding. She levelled up a LOT in that respect over subsequent seasons.

• Brohoof 1

I don´t think Starlight is stronger than Alicorn Twilight.

Twilight just can´t beat her in thair battle in Cutie Re-Mark cause Starlight planned all this and surprised Twilight.

They are both very powerful but they use thair magic in a different way/ with different goals. Starlight uses it for fighting and to reach her personal goals and Twilight just wants to learn and practise magic.

But Twilight is stronger at all.

13 hours ago, Megas said:

She's a ridiculously op character. A lot of it coming down to favoritism on the writers

Wasn't it Twilight too? When did she cast an age spell and turned her parents into plants when she was 10? When she levitated an ursa major and all the other things in 'Boast Busters' in a city where unicorns only knew how to do telechenesis? Twilight was terribly op until season 5, where finally, thanks to Starlight, a balance was made.

I think all the Mane 6 are OP, which is fine - they are the Element bearers, as were the Pillars before them and the Young Six after.

Starlight is a bit out of left field, but Equestria has always had a fairly robust villain refurbishment programme, starting with Luna, so... yeah.

Sunset is more of an exception, given her redemption came from her losing magic, and she is clearly both better and happier in her new role. both she and Starlight however have grown as individuals from the friendship of the Mane 6, and both are happy to subordinate themselves to Twi's guidance, which I think is a more important factor than the strength of their Unicorn magic.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, Jane said:

Wasn't it Twilight too? When did she cast an age spell and turned her parents into plants when she was 10? When she levitated an ursa major and all the other things in 'Boast Busters' in a city where unicorns only knew how to do telechenesis? Twilight was terribly op until season 5, where finally, thanks to Starlight, a balance was made.

1) Twilight doing an age spell and turning her parents into plants as a child wasn't the norm for her, it was a special occasion on brought on by the rainboom which awakened her potential.  

2) Twilight is more skilled than the other unicorns in Ponyville because she studied magic at Celestia's school and knows the spells that she used against the Ursa inside and out. I'm actually pretty sure the episode makes a point of saying that most unicorns only use magic to aid in their day to day lives rather than it being their literal talent.

3) Flashforward to S5 and Starlight is performing feats far greater than anything Twilight had showed by that point bar the S4 finale. She can fly with just magic, casually remove cutie marks and effortsely time travel. 

Starlight isn’t so much more powerful, she’s less inhibited.

Twilight is prim, and studious, and a rules follower. Starlight is a reformed villain, and is still grappling with the concept of responsibility. Twilight works in tandem with forces of magic. Starlight bends it to suit her needs.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, RulesofRarity said:

1) Twilight doing an age spell and turning her parents into plants as a child wasn't the norm for her, it was a special occasion on brought on by the rainboom which awakened her potential.  

Do you just want to get over it? Starlight is, for me, better than Twilight in every way, and that won't change. I respect that your opinion is different from mine, but just forget it, now I'm not interested in discussing.

The season 5 finale didn't really show that she was more powerful. Going back in time was a Star Swirl spell. It's just near impossible to stop someone messing with time. All you need is a hiccup. I think she's Unicorn Twilight Strong... who was insane. 

• 9 months later...

in A Matter of Principals, Starlight literally blasts Discord and it looks pretty powerful. Starlight also is more cunning and could probably out-smart Twilight. She also knows a bunch of spells Twilight probably doesn't, but Twilight has the advantage of being an alicorn. So if Starlight were an alicorn (i wish), she would definitely be dominating Twi, but for now I think they're equal

• 2 weeks later...