Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone here write sci-fi stories? If so, where did you get your inspiration from?

Happyandrenewed999

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I have too much technical knowledge nowadays, like how electricity works, how to make and generate power and transfer it to another device, etc, to actually be able to make a made up sci-fi story. Too much would go into making new things that need to work, which is impossible. Have to make up things that doesn't work, and that makes me seem less knowledged than I am.

I’ve taken a poke at writing some sci-fi, but in most cases the sci-fi setting is not instrumental to the story; it’s just a setting. I know that seems to defeat the point of using that kind of environment, but I use it more for extracting strange humorous aspects from the unique surroundings than immersing the reader in the genre of science fiction. I have written some Star Wars fan fiction, but that’s science fantasy and a whole different universe. In all cases I get inspiration in the same way I always do; thinking up the nucleus of a story that sounds entertaining, and then building around that nucleus until I have something coherent and fun. Most of the time the initial ideas are extremely minimal, like a single scene or even line of dialog which suddenly inspires more and more until a story spontaneously builds up around it and takes shape. I never set out to write this kind of story or that kind of story; the story finds me and tells me what it wants to be, otherwise I don’t pick up a pencil to begin with.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...

I would say they have sci-fi elements, but it's mostly mystery or about friendship.

On 2020-08-22 at 5:14 AM, ExplosionMare said:

I’m planning on making a pony one that’s sci-fi ish, but it’s mainly a thriller, and the sci-fi is only focused on one pony

Did you do it? :)

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Heasol said:

I would say they have sci-fi elements, but it's mostly mystery or about friendship.

Did you do it? :)

I'm planning to someday, hopefully after I finish the fanfic I'm currently working on

Mostly everything is science fiction if you think about it. Prove me wrong.

Love story? Science fiction!

science: what the hey is love? Love does not compute error error. It is fiction an imaginatory made up feeling! Error abort abort#$&&

Even science is science fiction.

Example 1: theories. Boom. B)

...:derp:

• The title was changed to Does anyone here write sci-fi stories? If so, where did you get your inspiration from?