Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you eat healthily?

Member Berry

(edited)

For me eating healthy goes with living a healthy lifestyle. That is to say, I eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries and high quality meats daily and I also take vitamins. But If I want something sweet/carb heavy, I make it from scratch. I do not buy bread, cookies, cakes, etc. If I want it, I make it. I knead it by hand, and I enjoy the hell out of it because I put time work into it. It gets me off the couch and in the kitchen.   I exercise daily including weights and Cardio and keep fitness planner. The older I get the more variety of movement (and expertises beyond weights i.e. sports, hiking, swimming, yoga) have helps keep me flexible and engaged. 

Edited by streem26
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say so, but a lot of others might disagree. I'd say a good 80% of what I eat by mass/volume is meat or offal (had lamb heart for dinner today), and the remainder is typically fruit, some vegetables and honey. I only drink water or black coffee, but will admit that I enjoy Coca Cola with ice on a hot day sometimes. I'll also occasionally eat chocolate or other gluten-free unhealthy stuff, but I try to limit that to max once a week.

• Brohoof 1

I don't eat that healthy though. I eat the same junk food every day like pop tarts and marshmallows. I do eat fruit every day like bananas for lunch and grapes for dinner. I need to eat some vegetables. I have barely ate any vegetables all of my life. I could try a little harder and eat some more vegetables for dinner and fruits for snack. 

• 2 months later...

If my health is any indication then yes, although I probably defy a lot of conventional wisdom on healthy dietary choices since I eat nearly no vegetables (offal is a much better source of the same micronutrients), drink whole milk instead of skimmed, and eat/cook with grass-fed butter instead of any of the weird low fat alternatives. My diet is based mostly around meat, which forms the principal bulk of every meal. I eat fruit and honey daily and time high carb loads around workouts to minimise blood glucose impact. I eat some vegetables once or twice a week, and probably eat dark chocolate a similar amount. I don't eat anything marked as "low fat" and most crucially I avoid seed oils as though they were a plague on society since that's essentially what they are. My diet could always be better, but overall I'd say it's pretty healthy

Edited by daviddaviddavid
  • Brohoof 1

For the most part, I'd say my diet is healthy. I eat a generic low carb diet now that I'm nearing my target weight. Was on keto for several months prior to switching over.

I still eat a few unhealthy items such as biscuits but I make sure to stay below 100g of carbohydrates for the day. Could improve by incorporating more non starchy vegetables

I think so, yes. I've been on keto for a while, and recently have been eating Vegan as well. Means my diet is pretty limited, but I like the food I can have so it doesn't bother me too much. (Made a spicy tofu scramble with spinach and mushrooms for dinner tonight, it was really good!) 

For the most part, yes. I've been on a basic Japanese diet for 8 years, and over time I've gotten better at prepping basic things like rice, fish, miso soup, etc. Eventually, I'm going to try making my own teuchi udon, ramen, tofu, etc., and growing my own veggies instead of buying them. 

Recently, however, I've stopped shying away from the occasional junk food. As long as it doesn't have a chemistry book of ingredients, it's fine.

I should also get back in the habit of making sushi once a month.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love food but I hate eating due to my obsession with staying around a certain weight. It’s more of a what can I eat to keep me around x amount of calories than if it’s healthy. 

• Brohoof 1