Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Classic Game Discussion Thread

OBIHFbo.png

CuazKLU.png

Welcome to Classic Games Discussion Thread (Unofficial)! This is a place to talk about all classic games and all things classic or retro. From Doom, to Zelda, from NES to N64, from PC to console, this is a place to talk about all things related to classic or retro games. Be it games that deserve a remake, games that need a sequel, or just discussing how great some of these older games are, this is the place for you. All older games deserve the same love as newer games, so feel free to share some old classics that many of us maybe haven't played yet!

What constitutes classic?

The jury is out on this one, but a vast majority of people consider classic games that are not current generation and most of the time past a certain age threshold. Most people would argue that classic is anything that came before the Xbox 360 currently, but obviously as time goes on, games that were previously not considered "classic" will become classic. A few good rules of thumb to follow when identifying if a game is classic or retro:

2O5kSif.png Is the game over 10 years old?

2O5kSif.png Is it available on the Xbox 360, Wii or PS3 upon its initial launch?

2O5kSif.png Would many consider it "retro"?

2O5kSif.png Are you able to find it easily in retail stores such as GameStop, or Walmart still to this day?

2O5kSif.png Would you find it in a retro game store?

2O5kSif.png Is it re-released on Nintendo's Virtual Console, PSone Classics on PSN, or the Xbox Live Arcade?

2O5kSif.png How easy is it to get your hands on a legit copy?

All questions to ask when you are determining if a game is classic or retro. A good rule of thumb that a lot of people go by is since 2005 was the year that last generation started, any game that was made before 2005 is mostly considered classic or retro. If it was made before 2005 chances are it's retro enough to talk about here. The exceptions mostly being games that are still being actively updated since then such as World of Warcraft. Minor updates don't count, such as GoG updating older games to work on new systems, and there are random exceptions such as Bethesda releasing a new episode of Quake after 20 years to celebrate the game's anniversary.

What kind of stuff can I talk about in this thread?

All things retro and classic, be it hardware discusses, tips, tricks, easter eggs, you name it. Some ideas of things you can discuss to get the ball rolling for you:

• Easter eggs in old games.
  • Desire for remakes/current remakes
  • Port comparison
  • Buying guides
  • Emulation discussion (within legal limits)
  • Recommendations
  • Reviews
  • Mods for old games
  • Show off your collection
  • Show off your old school achievements
  • Talk about old school hardware
  • Make friends

There is plenty to discuss for all people!

Useful Links

Below are some useful links to take advantage of if you're looking to get into classic games or retro playing. Keep in mind no one works for any of these sites and these are not endorsed in any way by MLP Forums. I am not advertising these sites, merely offering them as resources for you to use.

GOG - A source for old school PC games. GOG prides itself on fair pricing, no DRM and getting classic PC games running on modern systems. They're an excellent source for those older PC titles that you've been craving to try out and for a reasonable price. Highly recommended for the PC gamer who wants to take a trip back in time to when office computers could actually run "modern" games and when story telling was crucial to the success of a game.

Steam - I don't think Valve's distribution platform really needs much introduction, but you can find a good handful of classic titles on Steam these days, from Counter-Strike to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Steam is actually becoming a pretty good platform to get classic games on, especially with devs re-releasing games to support it.

eBay - If you're someone who prefers physical copies of old games, eBay is obviously going to be a place where you'll need to frequent to get your hands on hardware and software. Please do not link any ebay listings in this thread though as it violates MLPF rules. This is only linked for those who are unfamiliar with it (doubtful there are many) and no personal selling is permitted on this thread or anywhere else on MLPF.

GameStop (US) - A little while ago, GameStop actually introduced a retro games program to get your hands on older games and hardware. While it's still limited and mostly restricted to US residents, it's a good place to start.

Emulator Zone - FOREWARNING, NO POSTING OF ROMS, ISOS OR ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS. Emulation is a legal grey area, but if you own the games already emulation is actually perfectly legal, it's also legal for shareware and abandonware. It can be very useful for playing those cartridges you have laying around but don't want to break out the old hardware, or even just getting your games on the go.

DOSBox - Essential for running a good chunk of old school PC games. While it is an emulator, it is almost mandatory for games that were made in MSDOS. It is also useful at running Windows 3.1 games.

I loved classic games back in the day,though  I never really had a favourite,.

Usually I'd cycle between , Battle City , Charlie's Circus. Super Mario, and Ice Climbers. ^ ^ 

Mighty No. 9 makes me sad, so can we just talk about how great some of the older Megaman games were? I've tried to beat these games every way I can, hell, in X4 I've actually been able to beat it without any upgrades :P

Still sad they never continued to remake the Classic and X series, especially after how great Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were

• Brohoof 1

For me, classic would be any game released at least two console generations ago (PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Original Xbox, and everything before it.). Speaking of which, does anyone else but me remember the wonder that was the PS1?

With such gems as Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy and Megaman X just to name a few, the PS1 was my gaming childhood.

• Brohoof 1

For me, classic would be any game released at least two console generations ago (PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Original Xbox, and everything before it.). Speaking of which, does anyone else but me remember the wonder that was the PS1?

With such gems as Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy and Megaman X just to name a few, the PS1 was my gaming childhood.

I had a PS1, but for some reason I didn't really get the games people appreciated the most until after it was already come and gone. I ended up going back and playing them.

I guess the oldest games i played are Castle Wolfenstein ( not the 3d one, i mean the very first one ), the original Worms, a few old Lego Pc Games, a few old Mlp Games, Street Fighter 2, Kirbys Dream Course, various older Mario games and a few Atari 2600 Games.

I also have 3 old Superman Games, one for Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and Amiga. ( but i havent played any of them yet )

(edited)

Man oh man, classic games.

I used to play A LOT of System Shock 2 on my dads old PC, such a fantastic game and chilling atmosphere. I remember having lots of nightmares because of it haha, but I just kept playing.

What is a thought, compared to a mind?

Then I grew a bit and my dad bought another game, Half Life, another classic that completely captured me.

I was quite the gamer back then, but I mostly played games over at my friends' houses or on my dads pc, since I didn't really think about investing in my own and neither did my parents. I remember I was quite fond of games like Rome: Total War, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Myst (I fucking love this game), Fallout 2 (I wasn't very good at it though haha) and Syndicate.

In terms of multiplayer games at that time, I mostly played Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat with my friends on our old ass PCs with monitors bigger than the friggin machine itself lol (yes, I got one eventually).

Edited by Guest

Man oh man, classic games.

I used to play A LOT of System Shock 2 on my dads old PC, such a fantastic game and chilling atmosphere. I remember having lots of nightmares because of it haha, but I just kept playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubeo-BTnQeM

What is a thought, compared to a mind?

Then I grew a bit and my dad bought another game, Half Life, another classic that completely captured me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g96xx_Em9CU

I was quite the gamer back then, but I mostly played games over at my friends' houses or on my dads pc, since I didn't really think about investing in my own and neither did my parents. I remember I was quite fond of games like Rome: Total War, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Myst (I fucking love this game), Fallout 2 (I wasn't very good at it though haha) and Syndicate.

In terms of multiplayer games at that time, I mostly played Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat with my friends on our old ass PCs with monitors bigger than the friggin machine itself lol (yes, I got one eventually).

I must have played half life like 12 times when I was younger.

Rollercoaster Tycoon: One of my favorite classic games of all time. Even after nearly 2 decades the game still holds up as the best theme park simulator out there. At least, until Planet Coaster arrives. :P My first experience with RCT was so glorious. An all night binge jsut making theme parks exactly how I wished I could. One of those classic gaming moments I shall never forget.

• Brohoof 1

Rollercoaster Tycoon: One of my favorite classic games of all time. Even after nearly 2 decades the game still holds up as the best theme park simulator out there. At least, until Planet Coaster arrives. :P My first experience with RCT was so glorious. An all night binge jsut making theme parks exactly how I wished I could. One of those classic gaming moments I shall never forget.

I remember as a kid I got it at a book fair. I spent so many nights with that game. I was a kid though, so I was a moron with games about managing economy, I could probably smoke that game now if I played it. :P

Age of Empires was the first RTS I ever played as a child. Not only was it addicting, easy to learn and had surprisingly nice looking for its time, but it was also informative -- educational if you will. They tried as much as they could to be as historically accurate as possible (with a few liberties here and there I'm sure), but it was the game that really got me into history as a subject and I found myself thanking it for more than a few occasions in class. :D

Also, dat intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQ-WsquMwE

Rollercoaster Tycoon: One of my favorite classic games of all time. Even after nearly 2 decades the game still holds up as the best theme park simulator out there.

Truth. RCT3 can't hold a candle to the first two. >_>

• Brohoof 1

I loved classic games back in the day,though  I never really had a favourite,.

Usually I'd cycle between , Battle City , Charlie's Circus. Super Mario, and Ice Climbers. ^ ^ 

I'm the same way, although my rotation consists of:

1. Super Mario 64
  2. Castlevania
  3. F-Zero
  4. Legend of Zelda

How did I not reply to this thread earlier?

I think I've been a classic/retro for a while, probably around the time I even got into the gaming industry. The first console I ever played on was the PS1, with me also playing the SNES at my grandfather's house (the latter of which is probably my favorite console to this day unless you count PC), and I ended up collecting a number of retro consoles over the years. The retro consoles I have currently are the SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, Gameboy Advance and Gamecube (the last two probably don't count, but eh). Also had an Atari 2600 at one point, but that ended up breaking.

My favorite retro games are Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Doom, Half-Life, Sonic 1-3 and Star Fox (SNES), although more will probably be added to that since I'm still discovering more that I enjoy playing.

My favorite retro games are Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Doom, Half-Life, Sonic 1-3 and Star Fox (SNES), although more will probably be added to that since I'm still discovering more that I enjoy playing.

Those are all superb games. I remember playing Yoshi's Island a lot as a kid.

To this day, I've still never beaten the original Super Mario Bros.

No joke.

Neither have I. I need to fix that soon

No joke.

I think I did once a loooooong time ago, I've beaten Super Mario World and 3 more than the first game though.

(edited)

I think I did once a loooooong time ago, I've beaten Super Mario World and 3 more than the first game though.

I beat those two, though I did enjoy those a lot more. I still want to make an effort to beat SMB and SMB2 someday though(not Lost Levels because fuck that game)

Edited by Megas

No joke.

I haven't either, despite being a Mario fan. In fact, I don't even think I've ever done a run of Super Mario Bros. 3 without using the warp whistles. I never even bothered with Lost Levels for obvious reasons.

I haven't either, despite being a Mario fan. In fact, I don't even think I've ever done a run of Super Mario Bros. 3 without using the warp whistles. I never even bothered with Lost Levels for obvious reasons.

I think I did Mario 3 once without the whistles.