Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Classic Game Discussion Thread

(edited)

I think I did Mario 3 once without the whistles.

I have attempted to do so on the GBA version, but I'm still stuck on World 7. :P

I have done complete runs of Super Mario Bros 2 (US), Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island (the latter two multiple times) though.

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony

Playing this old gem again for the 12th time. Gonna get it finished again for a review and before I start I am Setsuna later this month. :3

post-23806-0-91468500-1467997739_thumb.png

I never owned a console or PC in the 90s, my family couldn't afford it. So, my first gaming experience was the gamecube.... like, 7 years after it came out.

But, being a lot older and having my own income, I've been able to play a lot of classic games. Some of my favorites include Super Mario World, Ultimate Doom, Half-Life, Quake, Sonic 3&K, and Super Mario 64, to name a few.

I never owned a console or PC in the 90s, my family couldn't afford it. So, my first gaming experience was the gamecube.... like, 7 years after it came out.

But, being a lot older and having my own income, I've been able to play a lot of classic games. Some of my favorites include Super Mario World, Ultimate Doom, Half-Life, Quake, Sonic 3&K, and Super Mario 64, to name a few.

I feel like I was one of the few people who didn't play the Sonic & Knuckles version of Sonic 3, but instead just the original. If I recall wasn't the only difference that you could play as Knuckles outside the time attack mode?

I feel like I was one of the few people who didn't play the Sonic & Knuckles version of Sonic 3, but instead just the original. If I recall wasn't the only difference that you could play as Knuckles outside the time attack mode?

Knuckles was unplayable outside of time attack. Also, a boss was skipped in the full version of S3&K unless you played Knuckles.  There are some minor differences, in S&K, and S3&K, item boxes could be hit from the side, rather than jumping on top of them.

I've almost finishing getting the platinum trophy in the PS3 version of the original God of War.

• 2 years later...

I still have all my old games and I replay a bunch of them to this day. I try to spend most of my time on the stuff I haven't had a chance to play yet (my backlog is massive) but it's always refreshing to sit down with a game that I loved as a kid.

I've recently returned to the original(?) "Sneak 'em Up" THIEF

220px-Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jp

...I can see why upon release and initial play I then put it down and have returned to it periodically ...it's so effin' difficult :D

Saving as you go along helps ...but where's the fun in that :derp:

Have finally managed to complete and escape that damn prison ...next level is a bit of a maze :)

Resurrecting this thread because these old games need love and attention.

So I managed to get not only an SNES Classic, but an actual SNES again. Also... Why wasn't Turtles in Time on the SNES Classic?

55 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Resurrecting this thread because these old games need love and attention.

So I managed to get not only an SNES Classic, but an actual SNES again. Also... Why wasn't Turtles in Time on the SNES Classic?

Licensing issues I guess  :huh:. Oh boy, I really had a blast with that game. Funnily enough, it was a mere two years ago since I completed it on hard in 2 players. I usually finish it on my own 

38 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Licensing issues I guess  :huh:. Oh boy, I really had a blast with that game. Funnily enough, it was a mere two years ago since I completed it on hard in 2 players. I usually finish it on my own 

Surprisingly a good port of the arcade game on a home console (which at the time was rare). I mean I get that it's not by Nintendo (it's owned by Konami) but Nintendo managed to get Contra III and Castlevania IV on the system which are also by Konami.

I mean if I was Nintendo I'd have released some kind of add-on to the SNES Classic that lets you load your official cartridges into the system to make digital ROMs. Like Sega did something like that with the Genesis Flashback (too bad that system sucked).

On the subject of the Genesis... Why can't Sega seem to get a good mini console for the Genesis? The Flashback was SO DAMN CLOSE to being good... But it fell short. It supported original games, had wireless controllers, all good stuff... But the sound and emulation is trash and the menu system is abysmal.

20 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Surprisingly a good port of the arcade game on a home console (which at the time was rare). I mean I get that it's not by Nintendo (it's owned by Konami) but Nintendo managed to get Contra III and Castlevania IV on the system which are also by Konami.

I mean if I was Nintendo I'd have released some kind of add-on to the SNES Classic that lets you load your official cartridges into the system to make digital ROMs. Like Sega did something like that with the Genesis Flashback (too bad that system sucked).

On the subject of the Genesis... Why can't Sega seem to get a good mini console for the Genesis? The Flashback was SO DAMN CLOSE to being good... But it fell short. It supported original games, had wireless controllers, all good stuff... But the sound and emulation is trash and the menu system is abysmal.

Thing is, Konami licensed the game, but that game in itself it’s a license property. I think the last TMNT was developed by Ubisoft, so it’s possible Konami no longer has the rights to develop more TMNT  :huh:. A shame really, that game is some good shit

59 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Thing is, Konami licensed the game, but that game in itself it’s a license property. I think the last TMNT was developed by Ubisoft, so it’s possible Konami no longer has the rights to develop more TMNT  :huh:. A shame really, that game is some good shit

Yeah but I think Nintendo has the clout to at least get permission to re-release such an old game.

Really want to try out I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Read the book and absolutely loved it, think it's brilliant how involved Harlan Ellison, the author, was in the design and writing of the game, even going as far as voicing AM himself. :mlp_yay:

20 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Really want to try out I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Read the book and absolutely loved it, think it's brilliant how involved Harlan Ellison, the author, was in the design and writing of the game, even going as far as voicing AM himself. :mlp_yay:

It's an excellent game so long as you are okay with the "flaws" of old adventure games.

Didn't play many classic PC games, save from Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Chip's Adventure, and Doom. Mainly because those were other's PCs, though my dad did install Hexen on my PC once. Probably because he found the disk at work. Most of my gaming experience were Nintendo 

9 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Didn't play many classic PC games, save from Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Chip's Adventure, and Doom. Mainly because those were other's PCs, though my dad did install Hexen on my PC once. Probably because he found the disk at work. Most of my gaming experience were Nintendo 

I played a handful of those classic PC games, but I also played a lot of Nintendo and Sega as a kid as well.

Were you a SNES kid or a Genesis kid?

2 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

I played a handful of those classic PC games, but I also played a lot of Nintendo and Sega as a kid as well.

Were you a SNES kid or a Genesis kid?

I actually started with the NES  :mlp_yeehaa:

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I actually started with the NES  :mlp_yeehaa:

I had the NES but I was more fond of the SNES.

28 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I had the NES but I was more fond of the SNES.

So did I, mainly because that NES didn’t last long. It was breaking down on a yearly basis until there was no longer any repairing for it  :sunny:. Had a blast with it tho, the three SMB, Super C, Kung Fu, Ninja Gaiden, Circus, Bomberman, and god knows what else I had :mlp_icwudt:. My aunt later gave me her SNES, and had only one racing game whose name I don’t remember, Desert Strike, and SMW; which was the first game I finished, EVER  :mlp_yeehaa: (Special World included  :fluttershy:). Only expended my library of SNES games AFTER I got my N64  :mlp_icwudt:, old bastards still work to this day  :fluttershy:

8 hours ago, This Whomps said:

Just got back to playing RE4 after a long time of not playing it and fuck it still holds up really well

It really does, I'm due to replay it this year lol.

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

So did I, mainly because that NES didn’t last long. It was breaking down on a yearly basis until there was no longer any repairing for it  :sunny:. Had a blast with it tho, the three SMB, Super C, Kung Fu, Ninja Gaiden, Circus, Bomberman, and god knows what else I had :mlp_icwudt:. My aunt later gave me her SNES, and had only one racing game whose name I don’t remember, Desert Strike, and SMW; which was the first game I finished, EVER  :mlp_yeehaa: (Special World included  :fluttershy:). Only expended my library of SNES games AFTER I got my N64  :mlp_icwudt:, old bastards still work to this day  :fluttershy:

The SNES holds some of my favorite games of all time on it.