Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology What phone do you have?

Member Berry

7 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

Well atleast you don't need to replace the headphone jack as much any more!

Yea, after I built the bluetooth adapter for the headset, I don't need to replace the headphone jack. It was easy to replace on the 1100, the headphone jack/charging port/microphone module is not even soldered. It is more difficult to replace on the E51, thankfully I did not have to.

9 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

And it'd be good if Mini PCs were phones too, wouldn't it?

Not really IMO. I do not always carry one of them with me, while I carry my phone almost always. So, I would either be taking the SIM card out often or would have to carry the miniPC all the time (and it is bigger and heavier than a phone). And holding the miniPC against my ear would be more uncomfortable than holding a (smaller and lighter) phone.

Also, it would be problematic to build such a device - you need a phone battery to last a long time (well, at least a couple of days), but the x86 CPU in a miniPC uses more power than an ARM CPU in a smartphone. For example, the battery in my GPD devices last about 6 hours. Great for a PC, unusable for a phone. So it would have to be a hybrid device, essentially a PC and a phone glued together. But then using the PC and draining the battery would leave me without a phone too.

There were attempts to do that, xpPhone is one of them. If you just want normal Linux and do not need x86, then "Gemini" PDA looks interesting, it looks like it has a keyboard that is very similar to Psion Series 5 (which I have an used a lot on the past), that keyboard is really good (at least on the Psion).

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, Pentium100 said:

Yea, after I built the bluetooth adapter for the headset, I don't need to replace the headphone jack. It was easy to replace on the 1100, the headphone jack/charging port/microphone module is not even soldered. It is more difficult to replace on the E51, thankfully I did not have to.

It would be good if it wasn't soldered on the E51
so it could be easily fixed

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, Pentium100 said:

Not really IMO. I do not always carry one of them with me, while I carry my phone almost always. So, I would either be taking the SIM card out often or would have to carry the miniPC all the time (and it is bigger and heavier than a phone). And holding the miniPC against my ear would be more uncomfortable than holding a (smaller and lighter) phone.

Also, it would be problematic to build such a device - you need a phone battery to last a long time (well, at least a couple of days), but the x86 CPU in a miniPC uses more power than an ARM CPU in a smartphone. For example, the battery in my GPD devices last about 6 hours. Great for a PC, unusable for a phone. So it would have to be a hybrid device, essentially a PC and a phone glued together. But then using the PC and draining the battery would leave me without a phone too.

There were attempts to do that, xpPhone is one of them. If you just want normal Linux and do not need x86, then "Gemini" PDA looks interesting, it looks like it has a keyboard that is very similar to Psion Series 5 (which I have an used a lot on the past), that keyboard is really good (at least on the Psion).

I researched the xpPhone, I wish it had came up sooner, and it sold any in my country!
if they release an xpPhone 3, that'll be amazing, my dream phone (apart from the Windows 10 of course)

• Brohoof 1

50 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

It would be good if it wasn't soldered on the E51

Yea, they probably couldn't get away with that - the E51 is packed more densely.

52 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

if they release an xpPhone 3, that'll be amazing, my dream phone (apart from the Windows 10 of course)

If I absolutely had to have a smartphone, it would probably be some version of xpPhone or the Gemini.

27 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Yea, they probably couldn't get away with that - the E51 is packed more densely.

yeah, it would have been good, but it would need to be packed more densely

29 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

If I absolutely had to have a smartphone, it would probably be some version of xpPhone or the Gemini.

yeah, if there is a new version of the xpPhone on like kickstarter, I'd back it and pray it gets enough backing

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

yeah, if there is a new version of the xpPhone on like kickstarter, I'd back it and pray it gets enough backing

Looks like we will have to carry two devices. Not that big a deal for me to be honest.

I have two phones, actually. 

1. An iPhone XR that I use for typical phone stuff, like texting, calls, checking my social medias, taking pictures, etc etc.

2. A Samsung Galaxy S3 (yes, it's OLD but it still runs great) that I use for making PMVs, editing other videos for YouTube, digital drawing, and a lot of my time on MLPF. It isn't connected to a cell phone service anymore. 

iPhone XR coral...

I really hate this damn color. My siblings got the other colors and since it's too late to exchange it, I have to be stuck with this color. I initially wanted red.

I bought a Galaxy A50 when my LG V20 started crashing randomly with increasing frequency. It's a decent phone for $280, but I miss so many things about my V20. I would have bought a G8 instead of my A50 if LG's phones weren't as buggy as Bethesda's games.

I switched over to a Kyocera flip phone a few weeks ago. I noticed how addicted to smartphones I was and decided to make a change. 

Texting is a bit slower on the old style keypad, but I'll manage.  :coco:

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Xperia L1, second smartphone I bought and has been running for 3 years. My first smartphone fell in the toilet after a year:lie:. And before that I used my parents old nokia 3310

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Ooredelen said:

Xiaom redmi note 4x. Have it for 3 years and it's still working really well (my previous phones usually lived for 1,5-2 years)

awesome! Heard Xiaomi are really good!

I've got a Nokia 4.2, and it's a fucking dreadful phone, I wish I had went for a KaiOS phone honestly

then again, it was all I could get for the time as my old phone's simcard broke

Edited by Sherbie-kun
  • Brohoof 1