Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Things You Have Mixed Opinions On

Castle Bleck

(edited)

Triple H.

On one hand, he's a great wrestler, heel (particularly in Evolution), face/tweener (particularly in DX), and real-life authority figure (specifically for NXT).

But on the other hand, he's kind of overrated, he caused the infamous Reign Of Terror, his co-leadership of The Authority has been beyond stale, and he buried Sting in his first-ever WWE match.

Edited by A.V.

Even though I enjoy this fandom, I would be lying if I said that it doesn't have aspects that I am myself am not a really fan of, and that it can't be obnoxious at times.

Since my dear Wrestling fan A.V just mentioned Triple H, i would say the current state of WWE.

I really love the idea of the WWE Network and i think NXT is one of the greatest Wrestling shows right now.

But at the same time, the main product is just not good and the wrong guys are getting pushed into oblivion, while the right guys get jobbed.

Disney's Frozen movie. 

On one hand, it is a good movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it but it wasn't like the best Disney movie ever like some people make it out to be. If it was treated just like every other animated movie, I might have a higher opinion of it. But considering most Frozen fans are obnoxious butt-hurt kids, my opinion on the movie in general has diminished.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Capcom, they still make great games, and have made some of my alltime favorite games and franchises, and they've been slowly recovering from the dark times of 2011-2013, but Jesus Christ they still screw up royally, and I still can't forgive them over Megaman Legends 3

At the very least though, at least they aren't Konami

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Pixar.

Please people. end the circlejerk. They aren't gods. There were like, three good movies and everything else was ok, very ok, bland, or blander. Especially Inside Out I will admit that the constant praise kinda makes me want to hate it more (I have portland hipster genes), though it is excessively obnoxious. Literally no part of it was original. There was the "people in head" thing, that has been done before on various occasions, and the rest of it was a jumble of pixar/animated family film cliches. Why/how the fuck did anyone cry when bing-bong (bing bong) sacrificed. Maybe its because I grew up with pixar everywhere and I'm sick of their storytypes and all the hype made me think it was actually something new and/or different. New IP, i dont care. In fact I should probably slit my throat now, because theyre going to make inside out 2 and i will have to suffer through the infinite praise of it.

The fandom, and other stuff that might belong to the debate pit.

The fandom is nice and welcoming and filled with great fan stuff, but then there are people like me who hate (no offense) clop and yeah... some things aren't so friendly here.

Not much.  My opinions are usually pretty concrete, and I rarely feel torn or mixed on anything, except myself.  I have mixed feelings on whether I'm a good, valuable, worthwhile person, or a waste of life.

Gun control.

I've done a ton of research on the subject, and both sides of the arguments have very strong reasoning AND flaws, in my opinion. I'm just not sure where I stand. Neither side has properly convinced me. I think I tend to lean more towards pro guns rather than gun control because of the second amendment (I'm specifically talking about gun control in the USA), but I just try stay out of that argument because I really don't have a solid opinion on the issue. 

• Brohoof 1

Gun control.

I've done a ton of research on the subject, and both sides of the arguments have very strong reasoning AND flaws, in my opinion. I'm just not sure where I stand. Neither side has properly convinced me. I think I tend to lean more towards pro guns rather than gun control because of the second amendment (I'm specifically talking about gun control in the USA), but I just try stay out of that argument because I really don't have a solid opinion on the issue. 

Sadly to both political stances, this is a nuanced world and solutions are going to be hard. My stance is that they should all require license. It seems like a fairly solid solution. 

Gun control.

Me too! I'm generally libertarian-leaning, but on this issue, I've heard so many great arguments from both sides. I'd love it if guns could somehow disappear from the earth, but that's not happening and to try to take any away will only leave the bad guys with their guns.
  • Brohoof 1

Me too! I'm generally libertarian-leaning, but on this issue, I've heard so many great arguments from both sides. I'd love it if guns could somehow disappear from the earth, but that's not happening and to try to take any away will only leave the bad guys with their guns.

It's not self-protection that sells it for me. It's pretty difficult to get in a situation in which you can get an accurate shot on someone. My main issue with banning all guns is the thousands of people who view it as a hobby, and banning an interest of many people at the expense of protecting the population when you have another solution that can do the same for protection (potentially better), without banning a hobby, you bet your rear spheres I'm going to go with required licenses.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I mean, we can't take them away. They are just part of life now.

I'm just at a loss on what we can do that would actually work.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

The current state of Formula 1. I have a few points about this.

• The current engine formula.

While I find the current power units to be quite impressive, they are extremely complex and expensive. These days, it's not just the engine, it's the engine, (a 1.6L V6) the turbocharger, the MGU-K, (Kinetic, similar to the previous KERS system) the MGU-H (Heat, it generate energy form the turbo), the battery, and the control electronics that makes up the whole power unit. A well-off team like Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull can easily afford to have 5 PUs per car, plus any extra they may have to take. Other teams like Manor and Sauber are run on the brink due to the increased running costs. 

However, I consider the PUs to be impressive because the level of horsepower they're making almost matches the old 3.0L V10, but they use far less fuel. 

But... 

All this power and efficiency at the expense of a less than impressive sound and the drivers not being able to drive flat-out so they don't run out of fuel. While I'm not sure if there is a regulation for a maximum fuel load, the maximum flow rate for the fuel is 100 kilograms/hour, and in-race refueling was banned for 2010. There have been talks of bringing refueling back, but they have been shot down by the FIA, even though it would bring more strategy back in and it would make pit stops more interesting.

I actually like the sound they make, but it pales in comparison to just about anything else before.

• The aerodynamics.

While the technical regulations for the aerodynamics is going to change for 2017, the current basic regs that have been in place since 2009 are not exactly designed with appearance in mind.

f1-jerez-february-testing-2015-nico-rosb

This is the Mercedes W06, which competed for 2015. I think of this as the "best looking" of the low nose regs in place right now, but this car is hideous compared to cars from a decade (or more) ago.

S5kjYfS.jpg

This is the Ferrari F2004. Both of these cars were shaped by the regulations. Even though appearance takes a backseat when it comes to race cars, especially for a single seater or a prototype, the aerodynamicists had more freedom in almost every aspect of the car. Take a look at the front wing on both cars. On the Mercedes, the main plane (the flat part) has spec dimensions, while all the wing elements on the ends are free reign, they have to stay within a "box", which limits what you can do to move air around the car. On the Ferrari, the "box" was the entire wing itself.

Now, the main purpose of the current aero regulations is significantly reduce downforce to promote overtaking, which was seriously lacking as F1 cars started piling on the downforce. The main problem is not being able to get close to the car in front because of the massive amounts of turbulent air coming off the back the the rear wing and diffuser, which takes away air from the front wing of the car in front, which almost cuts all front downforce of the car behind. 

The FIA's solution to this is DRS (Drag Reduction System), which at certain points on track, and if the car behind is less that 1 second of the car in front, the upper element of the rear wing can be flipped up to reduce the drag on the car as seen here:

adjustable_wing_before_and_after_2.jpg

This is the measures that are put into place in order to promote overtaking in F1. It mostly works, but it lacks a genuine feel to when an on-track pass happens.

The tires on that "Lotus" (in reality, that was just a Renault with a sexy black and gold livery) brings me to my next point:

• The shitty Pirelli tires that are shitty on purpose.

When Pirelli replaced Bridgestone as the official tire supplier, they said they would reduce the life span of the tires in order to promote more pitstops. Sounds like a solid idea as the previous Bridgestones were capable of lasting for an entire race at the hands of someone like Jenson Button or Mark Webber.

But...

While they produce good grip, even a hard compound (or whatever is the hardest tire on offer per race) won't last very long without some serious tire conservation. In 2013, the tires were so bad that all of the tires never lasted very long. They're also prone to spontaneous blowouts, as seen on Sebastian Vettel at the Austrian Grand Prix last month. Pirelli "claims" it was a piece of debris that tore tire apart, even though there was nothing on track for Vettel to run over. Pirelli have also managed to have camber and tire pressure limitations put in place so that they don't blowout for no reason. 

The tires are also handmade, so not two sets are alike.

f1-monaco-gp-2016-pirelli-f1-car.jpg

Pirelli have given us a preview of what can be expected for next year. Wider tires that (hopefully) have a more linear wear rate, as well as the aero regs coming next year. I hope that 2017 can (to steal Reagan's line) make F1 great again.

Will I be watching this weekend? Hell yes, like I have been since 2009.

• 3 years later...

My life actually, yeah doing good and I'm happy about that you know? While also not really knowing where I want to be going in life for some time I have just always known university and a job but I don't actually believe I'll get a job with a degree but at the same time I can't work physical labor because of my asthma while knowing that's where the pay is. So yeah, I know I want to be successful though want to be happy and you have to balance both happiness and success somehow. 

Would I be happy working in an office, no but I have to as I couldn't really live life working something very demanding physically I need to think about these things. Then again maybe I just think too much.

(edited)

The cutie map

On one hand, the episode as a whole is good but I don't like the fact that they don't talk! A simple conversation could have prevented everything! :glimmer:

I can't stand that episode because of that.

Edited by Bastian
  • Brohoof 1