Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general are you afraid of the dark? (confess your fears or tell a story about them)

rose chan

I'm not afraid of the dark, no. I prefer to be in a small enclosed room though when I'm alone, either in darkness (preferably) or with the light on (only if I have to)... Windows and doors make me anxious. Closets too, I guess, I hate a room with closets it just makes me feel so horrible inside. The only real "fear" I have is in regards to my sleeping position- I have to, no matter what, have my feet completely enclosed in the blanket (either sheet, comforter, or both) because my whole life my feet have been too near the edge of the bed, and the past like 6 years or more my feet slightly hang of the end of the bed. Even if the rest of me isn't covered, my feet have to be wrapped because they hang off the bed. I guess I'm afraid of the monster under the bed, hah.

I'm not scared of the dark, I actually find it quite comforting, even after a scary movie or such. It's like you're invisible or anonymous, hidden. I was when I was a kid though.

In fact, I was scared of a lot of things when I was a kid.

We used to live in a different house when I was younger, so the layout was different. My room was right off the living room and we used to own this creepy bust of a Native American woman that had pitch black eyes and an expressionless face. Whenever I would need to leave my room at night, I'd have to pass under the gaze of that creepy bust and I always felt like it was watching me.

But it's not as bad as your parents stapling a scary clown plushie above your bed so that it stared down at you as you slept, illuminated by a dim nightlight that only increased the creepy factor. I was like five, but I still remember that freakin clown's gaze as I tried to get to sleep.

Those are my stories of when I got scared of something. :P

I used to be but I soon got over it with time, I used to think I saw the girl from the ring in the corner of my room every night. I also believed I saw an alien sitting on my room ceiling but it was just my room light giving off a shadow from the street lights out side. There are still times when I am home alone where I feel like there is something else in the room with me and it gets me very paranoid to the point where the smallest thing would put me on edge, not fun.

I used to be, but that was when I was little. I think the dark is soothing now. Complete darkness still makes me a bit nervous, but that's more because I'd fear I'd have gone blind rather than the dark itself.

• 2 months later...

I really like pirates, seafood, octopi especially, seascapes, quite alot to do with water! B-but...the water itself...

I used to love swimming, the whole weightlessness feel of it... even if floating like that cut your hearing off and gave me the occasional feeling like some shark or something was sneaking up on me, even if I was in a above-ground swimming pool, but no, that's not what put me off about it.

Ever since one of my puppies slipped and drowned because of our pool... Well, I've hesitated so much as getting near any pool. The thought of going out on a boat, being near any large bodies of water scares me. Think I officially have Hydrophobia now.

At least mildly, I suppose. Heh, I can still take baths & showers anyhow!

Just... they say it's the lifeblood of the planet. The essence of life. That our bodies are, like, eighty percent water after all... But what giveth life... can also take it away. Just the thought of water closing over your head... shutting out the world & light above you... crushing the air out of you & finding every way it can to seep into your body and dilute you to nothingness...    I-I just don't... like the notion anymore...

• 1 year later...

Indoors - a little. I sleep with a dim red night light.

Outdoors - No. My night vision is very good. Plus, I'm an amateur astronomer. I can't be afraid of the dark. :-P

Yes, I'm afraid of the dark. I can't sleep without a night light. :twismile: I'm also afraid of spiders, roaches...any bug that resembles a spider or roach, wasps, tight enclosed spaces, and a slight fear of needles. :mlp_lie: I also never sleep with any limb hanging over the edge of the bed because of a fear of something grabbing me and pulling me underneath the bed. :wacko: Yes, weird I know. I also strangely feel, what's the word, safe? Secure? While sleeping on my stomach. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

Used to, I once saw two red glowing eyes in my closet as a kid and a girl sitting near it.. But imagination dies as you grow up. 

No. It would be really bad if I was 'cause I spend several hours each day alone in the dark (I don't sleep during the night 'cause of my job) and several each week in dark, deserted places outdoors with nothing but my cell phone flashlight to show me the way.

I'm a little afraid of the dark, in the sense I can't go into a dark room without turning the light on first or else I'll have an episode where I suddenly start hyperventilating. If the light isn't right there, I need another light. But after that I turn those lights off because I can't really go to sleep with too much light in my eyes, especially if the light constantly changes intensity and color (TVs). Still deathly afraid of being in deep water, heights, and probably other things that I don't know of.

I was never afraid of the dark, I sought it. I always loved the dark and still do to this day.

Come to think of it, I've never had a nightmare either, so I can't really say I'm "afraid" of much of anything. Just your normal everyday boring obvious stuff like, losing a loved one or failure.

• 1 month later...

Ahhh... Darkness

The thing that I used to be scared of for an illogical reason

Everytime I got scared of the darkness of my room because of non-existent ghosts, my mom always said to me

"Have you ever seen a single ghost roaming around the house throughout your life?"

"Uhhh... Well I have never seen any."

"Exactly, so stop being scared of non-existent things. It's just stupid."

Now, I always say to myself whenever I get scared of darkness

"Stop being scared for no reason, it's just stupid and not good for yourself."

I'm not. And I have had some great fun pulling pranks on other people with it.

Once we were visiting a manor from my family, with my cousin. I abandoned her in the labyrinthic upper floors before turning off the electricity on the whole building. You should have heard that scream. She was crying when the rest of the family found her, paralyzed. I don't know why the fear of darkness, it must be some kind of primitive thing.

I remember being a child, sitting in the dark of that vast living room, surrounded by old furniture and portraits of ancestors long gone, watching. Darkness isn't necessarily dangerous. The things that lurk inside people's minds, well. That's a different story.

Some family considered me a bad influence, called me "devil" That kind of irrational fear, that ignorance. That's what monsters are really made of.