Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general are you afraid of the dark? (confess your fears or tell a story about them)

rose chan

I'm not so much afraid of the dark as I used to be.  My mind still likes to play tricks on me every now and then, not as strong as they used to be though.

• Brohoof 1

"Fear of the dark......FEAR OF THE DARK......I HAVE A CONSTANT FEAR THAT SOMETHING'S ALWAYS NEAR"

sorry for that

and yes....I am terrified of the dark. For some reason, whenever I look down a dark hallway, I can ALWAYS without a doubt see someone...it's freaky as all hell

I was afraid of the dark almost to a paranoid extent. But one day I literally sat in the dark at 2 am and just meditated til the sun rose., then I lost my fear of it, but also due to making myself walk around with my eyes shut or to be in rooms without the light on until I calmed down. Exposure therapy is a thing.

I have been before. Now i try to make it as dark in my room as possable, since i have a hard time sleeping if theres any lights on....that could relate to my medications, maybe. Some of the ones i take are stimulating, meaning they wake you up more lol

When I was a child yes, but nowadays no. I like it when it is a little bit darker. But I don't like it when it is complete dark because I feel unsafe and hate it when I see nothing. But I am not afraid of the dark. 

When falling asleep in my room, I'm not really afraid of the dark. I am afraid at times when I walk around in the dark. I get worried when I can't see where I'm going. I also worry that there's something in the dark waiting to scare me. 

I've recently begun playing Fallout 4, and it has pretty much confirmed a fear of mine: Stuff that looks like humans. Not small dolls, or stuff like that, or those mannequins in shopping windows.

I mean those things if they move. I absolutely hate human-like robots.

So I was playing Fallout, having a good time, until I stumbled upon a base full of these guys:

Fallout4_Synth.jpg

I'm telling you, this freaked me out waaaaaaaaay more than it should've.

*shudders*

I've never been afraid of the dark and if anything, I've taken comfort in it. As a kid, if in distress, I would continually repeat to myself that the shadows will protect me from the deadliness of the light. I had a really screwed up sense of reality back then but that thought has never left my mind since. 

• Brohoof 1

I used to when I was young. Then I recall a person telling me that if you become the scariest thing in the dark, what is there to fear?

Haven't bother me since. 

I only have 2 fears:

1: Parasites (ex. Bot Flies, Tapeworms, Leeches, etc.)

2: Moths... Ugh. If butterflies were angels, than moths would be demons. Actually, I think they are demons. Though if you are wondering why I am afraid of moths... Lets just say it has something to do with my childhood...

im afraid of the dark... most of the time im paranoid that someone is near me or in our house.. :blink:  I have a fear of open doors, especially in my room.. :wat: even though sometimes I clearly see my dad open the door... minutes later I look at the door and FREAK THE BUCK OUT because I think someone just came inside :( (thanks to paranoia...)

It's hard not to be a little afraid of the dark, but in general, I'm not afraid of the dark. I am, however, afraid of needles. Whenever I need to get a shot, I can't look. I get REALLY anxious. 

I don't have problems with the dark in general, but there are a few things that can make me more than a little concerned. If I am completely alone in a wide-open space where it is pitch-black, I can begin to gain a sense of dread about me. The odd thing is that this is a very specific instance; small and medium-sized rooms do not cause this, namely because I, for some reason, can sense the topography of an area around me without using sight. It also doesn't happen if there is even the slightest amount of light visible to me, such as moonlight.

When I was young I dislike the dark and sleep with lights on but do wake up during sleeping time, light was off cry till my mum turn it back on do it all the time til my dad show up and force me to have light off, now I sleep facing the wall when sleeping, was scaried getting up to toliet and uable to get something to blow my nose cos I scared of the dark. Watching shows about ghosts and scary things doesn't help. I did get used to it but still scared of the dark and lights always on and still get scared when seeing shows about ghosts and listening to creepy stories on Youtube.

• 1 month later...

Spent an awful lot dwelling on my fears. And, in rebuttal to those saying it's whats IN it that scares you, no, no to me, its the actual dark I'm afraid of. Sure, it was worse in my youth, panicked when I didn't have some form of light nearby at night, but I've gotten better at it.These days there's always some streetlamp outside your room or such. To me, its the blindness that spooks me. I get scared of too much light or darkness. When that darkness or blinding, burning light is all you can feel, that when it gets to me. If its completely dark, like in a closet with no accessible switch, its so dark I can't tell what end is up, what's in front of me, or where my body even ends. Or, on the flip side, bright sunny day in Arizona(where I used to live) not a cloud in the sky, just the full force of the sun roasting your skin into some prickly, itchy heat & the reminder you are nowhere near your house, air conditioning or safety.But that's not the things that scare me.

Speed gets to me. Why I don't watch horror movies, for all the jump scares. I spook like an actual horse. Were you to somehow sneak into the room without me hearing you and just simply, gently pat my head...I'd skitter about the room like a dying spider, then curl up in a corner and cry myself unconscious. But that's not the scariest thing.

You want to know what the scariest thing in the world is?

My Mother.

I'm serious. If. You. Only Knew. My Mother.

I've seen people she talks to just start to squirm & look for excuses to flee. She may look like a dowdy housewife, but she is the stuff of nightmares!!

Edit: Go to here, Click on the Play button next to the speaker Icon, to hear the card's quote. THAT, is what I hear when I read the title of this thread!....curse you Hearthstone...

P.S. Don't worry though, Rose-chan. I totally got the reference! I always do!

Edited by Widdershins

Losing coherence. My family has achieved power by means of ritualistic costumes, through which we surrender all coherence for the purpose of enlightment.

They didn't understand that without love, all coherence is lost, and life turns bizzarre and careless. As informating pours in, debased and lost.

I look for love within myself. To honor life. To see I'm in an state of inner peace and well being. Always whole, despite my surroundings.

Once I find my truest nature, little makes me afraid. I had been in places and realities which defy the most basic instincts, yet I remain calm.

Walking... through fear

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

Had a LOT of problems with darkness back in my childhood. I used to believe in ghosts demons and all that. As I grew up I actually started "taking my fear head on", I'd imagine fighting a ghost or something and make it seem entertaining to the point where I wanted them to appear. That went on for a while. 2 years ago, when I became an atheist, all my beliefs of any "supernatural" things just dissapeared from my life, so did all the ghosts I used to be scared of. :D

I'm afriad of ladders...specifcally having to descend a ladder that has round rungs...my brain irrationally starts to doubt my ability to put my foot on the next rung below without it slipping and causing me to fall. So needless to say, I avoid any situation where I have to climb a ladder and come back down the same way.