Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

Simple, self explanatory, fun.

I only know English, but I really want to learn Czech. Ever since I went to Prague last fall, I fell in love with the place, so now I want to learn their language.

• Brohoof 3

Probably Japanese, I can understand a bit of it but thats it. Growing up in a Japanese American home, I do want to go experience the culture a bit more than I already have.

I speak French, but it's not a foreign language to me, since it's actually my first language! So English is more of a foreign language than french to me! ^_^

Aside from that, I can speak spanish at a decent level and I know some german (I can make basic sentences, but that's about it)

As for the languages I'd like to speak, I'd love to be able to speak japanese. I've actually tried to teach it to myself using the internet once, but I've forgotten most of it (and even then, my knowledge was very rudimentary)

I can still read most hiraganas/katakanas though!

Edited by Lady Rarity
  • Brohoof 1

I speak French reasonably well, and a little German.

I'm Welsh by heritage, but since I was raised in England I never really took it upon myself to learn the language. I guess that'd be my first choice if I was to try something new.

I would like to learn Japanese but I don't know if that's going to happen. I've used online resources to learn kana and some basic words and phrases but I have no idea how to go about learning kanji. There are no schools nearby that teach it and I'm not planning on moving so I just learn what I can on the internet.

I know quite a bit of French. But it's been so long so I'm a little rusty. I can hold my own in a conversation about where the bathrooms are though.

Also, whenever I go through the self-checkout at a grocery story I always choose Spanish and pretend I know what it's saying. Then I say gracias as I pass the attendant.

I want to learn Japanese Finnish. It's by far the sexiest sounding language I've ever heard.

Other than that, I can speak and read French pretty okay. But hey, I'm Canadian. They drill that into your skull in school.

• Brohoof 4

I know German! (Sadly, it's only on/at the level of someone in 6th grade. Trying to catch up to. I can understand everything, it's just hard to write really good and watch my grammar)

I'm in German classes now, but I can't speak it too well. I'm only about a month and a half in, but I'm happy with my progress. I've learned a lot more than I ever did taking Spanish in high school.

I want to learn (in this order) Swedish (awesome movies), Spanish, Portuguese, and I know this is weird, but Swahili.

I love learning new languages! ♥

I've known Ukrainian and English since I learned to talk, basically.

I'm teaching myself Japanese and Italian at the moment, and someday I'd like to learn Arabic, Russian, Greek, Latin, and possibly Hindu.

• Brohoof 4

I know a decent bit of Japanese. Since I want to go into game development I think it will be a helpful language to know (at the very least it looks good on a resume). I have to say, though, once you take a language in college you find out just how fast you can learn to speak something. I'm not fluent or anything, but I can read and write a decent bit and hold my own in a (very) basic conversation. Though, like a lot of people with foreign languages, I understand more than I can speak.

Someone mentioned having trouble with kanji. Some online resources I've found really helpful are the online kanji database (http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.htm) and the English Wiktionary Page (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC#Japanese) which lets you type in kanji you're unfamiliar with and gives you the pronunciation and meaning.

Aside from that, I really want to pick up a Scandinavian language. Probably Swedish.

Edited by Tiaaaaa

I got a C in my German GCSE, so I can't really say that I speak any languages other than English. That's fine with me though, as it's still the native language of Equestria. I'm not really interested in learning many languages, but Chinese or Japanese would be good languages to speak.

Edited by Flutterguy

I want to learn Japanese so badly. That way, I can understand the awesomer-than-English Japanese Pop! And imported video games. And manga. And anime. And *Mom yells shut up*