Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I was wondering how well it worked for you in regards to movies and such, training the ear, as much as it's not hard, is usually one of the longer parts in the learning process

I absolutely agree with you there. My weakest point is indubitably listening and understanding the spoken language. People (especially Hispanics) tend to talk fast naturally, I would imagine that it will take a long time before I reach the point in which I can understand every single word that's spoken to me in Spanish.

And while it is easy, it requires a lot of patience and willingness to sit through 30 minutes to an hour of radio, podcasts, or television :/ Plus although it would so much easier if I had Spanish subtitles to go with said movie in its Spanish dub, it's usually very difficult to find such settings. It'll either come with English subtitles (useless) or no subtitles. I think following along via Spanish subtitles for any Spanish or Spanish-dubbed movie would be tremendously beneficial in the area of listening.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I barely know Spanish, and the computer program I'm using to learn it has crashed...it says "The database is out of date, please contact customer support" or something like that. :P
The language I really want to learn is Japanese...not enough to write it or anything, but I just want to be able to speak that melodic language! :wub:

I can only speak English. I know a few words in Spanish, French, and German. I want to learn Russian though.

Well, I obviously know English

And I'm learning Japanese

And I'd love to learn French! 

I have resources to help you begin:

(MLPForums) Language Learning Resource and Discussion Thread http://mlpforums.com/topic/113361-language-learning-resource-and-discussion-thread/

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1

I speak English, Tagalog and Korean. That's ranked depending on my fluency :P

I want to learn Dutch, German and Swedish. I've been called a big weirdo for thinking these languages as beautiful-sounding. I find the hard g sound in dutch as charming and romantic, i find german more romantic than french, and swedish just sounds like music to my ears ._. 

I am fluent in English and sub-fluent in my mother tongue which is Serbo-Croatian (a mix of Serbian and Croatian). Bosnian also applies. I really want to get more fluent with it so then I'll be able to talk to those who only speak my mother tongue.

As for the languages I want to learn, here's the following:

German, Italian, French (I live in Canada and it's embarrassing that I only know the basics and not know how to speak it fluently), Japanese, Greek and Hebrew.

I'd totally love to re-learn Spanish. Two years via school and I don't remember much, mrf I wish my family had enrolled me for classes at a younger age.

I've been studying German for a bit but kinda lost interest.

I totally wouldn't mind learning Mandarin, Arabic, and Russian... If I had the time ^^"

My RD cap I have is signed in many languages. Arabic, German, French, Czech and Japanese. :)

I know some basic Spanish, as I took it in 9th grade, but I'm not fluent in it. Not to mention Spanish is somewhat similar to English,so it's easy to learn. I'd love to learn Japanese or Mandarin, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm like 1/6th German, so I'd really like to learn the language. Would help if I ever plan on visiting the country.

Edited by Raritas

I can speak Dutch and English, a bit German and a bit Spanish :) 
I would love to get better at Spanish tho, and I would love to learn Polish. ^_^  I have two friends now from Poland, and it would just be nice if I could speak their language. :) Especially since it seems so HARD haha. I would be incredibly proud of myself if I could speak Polish :')

I speek English, French ( forced to learn in school because canada is bilingual), Russian (living there now for school), and Japanese (good portion of my family is japanese as well as russian). I know a few things about german as well. 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED

I used to want to learn Finnish, but then I realized that it's not so much that I want to learn it as much as I want to be able to understand it. :P Same with Romanian, my second favorite language. :derp:

I wouldn't feel very useful learning these languages, since not very many people outside of their respective countries can speak them, so if I wanted to learn another language (if I had the patience) it would probably be Spanish since that would be more useful. Or maybe Chinese, but that's way too hard :P