Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

How didn't I find this thread earlier? This is my type of thread! I'm very interested in linguistics.

I'm Australian, so I was brought up learning English. And considering I like to use fairly complex words at times, and I'm a self-proclaimed excellent speller, I enjoy to think that I'm an expert in English.

Over the past few months I've been learning French. It's a beautiful langauge (actually known as the most beautiful language in the world by many), so I wanted to learn it. Simply put. :s

It's a very hard language though, whoever created French liked silent letters a lot.

I'm also learning Italian. Although, I know most Italian already due to learning it in Year 8, it being a part of my curriculum. Right now, I'm just slowly learning more and more words as a side-task next to French.

Once I've learned most French and Italian, I'm going to try learn Latin, simply because it's also a beautiful language in my opinion. Even though it's classified as a dead language, and no longer native to a country (except for The Vatican, but that's a city state), it's beneficial to learn because it's a known fact that by learning languages, your brain excels in other subjects as well.

After learning Latin, I might learn Chinese. It'd be challenging since Chinese is a logography language, each words and set of letters has their own specific logo for them.

Well I am learning German, but I would much rather learn Jappanese.

Well same here :) teacher is German and she says it is a ridiculous language cuz most of the words have no reason

also wanna learn Jappanese for animes and want to visit there sometime

Also I wanna learn Finnish (Suomen) cuz I visited there and got some family members

Edited by FlameFeint

I speak high-intermediate Japanese.

In college, I took German, Chinese and Arabic. German, I actually took in high school and quit after a semester in college due to a freaking stupid testing system that placed me in a class too advanced for me. Chinese, I learned a ton in just a year. Unfortunately for me, I forgot most of it, but I'd like to return to it at some point. Arabic, I can't read, like, anything and the only word I remember is "shukran" (sp?) The professor was a really nice guy but a terrible teacher.

I'd like to learn all kinds of languages. Italian, Gaelic, Latin, Russian, Korean, Portuguese... I'm a linguaphile. I think my only real talent in life is the ability to pick up languages. My brain is definitely geared for language.

I know English, but in speech is worse.

And of course my national language is polish.

I'd like to learn Hungarian and Japanese but these are very difficult.

I know:

- Russian (native, I don’t like it);

- English (intermediate, I like it);

- Ukrainian (can understand, but can’t speak and write);

- German (only itty-bitty, but I like this language and learned it for almost year).

- PHP, JavaScript, HTML, SQL. :)

Wanna learn:

- German (yep, I wanna know it well);

- Language of ponies ( ;));

- C++, JAVA, Swift.

I know English (native), tiny bits of Spanish (from high school- didn't stick) and lots of Japanese (from college~ did stick)!  AND I can "speak" and understand dog body language... not sure if that counts haha.  I can almost always tell how their feeling and what they are moments from doing~ I had to develop the skill because of aggressive dogs I've worked with.  Best way to not get bitten by a dog- speak and understand dog!

I also know some html... but I'm pretty old school and haven't really kept up with anything new computer/internet-wise...

As for what I want to learn, languages take too much effort and I don't have the time!  D:  But if I did have the time to apply myself, I'd be interested in Korean, fixing my Spanish knowledge, and learning what there is to learn of Quenya and Sindarin (Tolkien elf languages). 

I'm learning Japanese, part through study, part through binge-watching anime.

No, I can't learn full words through watching anime, but if I'm on my PC and anime is playing behind me, I can understand what's going on, even if I can't speak/repeat it. :muffins:

Also, wanna learn Russian.

Japanese, first and foremost. I want to be able to get around over there with no problems. I love the culture, the history, anime, etc. Everything about Japan fascinates me.

I'd also like to learn Spanish at some point as well, the reason isn't as nice, I'm just sick of hispanics coming in to my part time job not knowing a lick of English. It would cause a lot less stress for me, and it would help them out a lot too.

I get so excited when I see what languages people want to learn, and what languages they speak. I didn't know there were so many Swedes and Norwegians on this site, that makes me happy!

I'm from Sweden, so I speak Swedish without a problem. I also speak fluent English.

I can understand Norwegian very well, as well as Danish, somewhat well.

I'd love to learn plenty of languages. I guess I gotta have to master one at a time.

German, Finnish, Japanese, Flemish and French.

I know a little bit out of every language above, so I'm slowly getting there. I'm doubting that I'll ever learn to speak them all without having trouble with grammar though.

There are some English accents I'd be happy to learn too, as in Australian, Scottish and Southern American.

But one thing at a time or my head might explode.  ^_^

Edited by rosenflickan

• 2 weeks later...