What mobile OS do you use?  

21 users have voted

1. 1. What mobile OS do you use?

• Android
    • iOS
    • Windows
    • Other

(edited)

You may sell them, but I program for them and you are 100% WRONG.

The apple OS has major security flaws. Mostly due to the fact they use a default root password (keep in mind I am dumbing this down for non tech folks). Just because you sell something does not really make you a expert on programming or coding.

As to the charger hack, it is fact not fiction. It has only recently been fixed but for people who have not updated their iOS it is still an issue.

I can go on and on with security hole after security hole, however that is not the intent here. The intent is to deliver factctual information to people, and not the subjective assumptions of a "sales pony" cloud peoples security.

*edit* the whole "FBI can't get in" thing, was a joke btw. The reason they could't get in, was they were unwilling to risk the phone, however a simple hack by a blackhat got them past it. Again, the hack used took less than 60 seconds to get in the phone.

I am not saying the iOS is a bad phone, I write for all three platforms. However to state that the iOS has no major flaws, is just categorically putting peoples information at risk.

I'm sorry, but I am calling bullshit on all of that. I do not believe your credentials are true in the slightest, anyone can say they program for phones on the Internet and the way you're talking about it makes me believe you're not being even the slightest bit sincere. Sorry but not only do I sell phones I understand the tech behind them and while you may possibly actually program for phones, I am questioning your actual knowledge and skill level as an expert.

I'm not a salesman, I don't make commission, and I understand the products I am selling and you are literally making crap up.

Let's see some hard evidence.

Considering the "hack" you were talking about you actually are mistaken. The charger security threat was by using chargers in a public location that were secretly hooked up to a computer that injected malware. The charger itself was not the problem. So long as you know what your phone is being plugging into a charger alone is not a risk. Apple also introduced an update that would lock out said chargers.

Android has far more security holes that can be exploited and do get exploited on a daily basis. I get it, you like Android but exaggerating things about iOS to convince people to switch stupid.

If you want to deliver factual information here is plenty:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-ios-vs-google-android-which-more-secure-smartphone-os-1547396

http://www.howtogeek.com/224096/why-iphones-are-more-secure-than-android-phones/

There are always going to be sources that claim iOS is somehow not as safe as Android, but many of these are from Android fanboys who just don't like to see people with iOS at all. Here's the facts:

• Apple operates on a closed ecosystem. This means that apps have a harder time getting onto the phones unless they are vetted by Apple. Apple's vetting process is relatively strict in comparison to Google, and it even costs more to get apps on iOS due to the yearly license fee, the requirement of an Apple product (which you can't really find any $20 iPhones like you can with Androids). This makes it far easier to get malicious code slipped into Androids than iOS devices.
  • Android makes the bigger market, thus is a larger target for malware. We see the same thing with Windows.
  • Android's open source and customization comes at a price, it makes finding exploits easier.
  • Fragmentation means many of Android's users are running on old outdated versions of the OS that have security holes. Since Androids don't update for as long as iOS devices, most Android users are living with versions with big security holes. Even major phone makers don't release updates for their phones after around a year or 2 years max. iOS devices often receive updates for up to 5 years. The iPhone 3GS was released in 2009 and received iOS updated until 2014. The 4 received updated for 4 years, the 4S is actually still on the most up to date iOS to this day. Apple reports an almost 80% adoption of the newest iOS versions upon release which means more people are running on the latest, most secure OS versus running on an outdated less secure OS like Android which still reports over 31% of their users on KitKat released almost 3 years ago now, hell even Jelly Bean is still used by almost 20% of their users. When over half of your users are not on the latest version of an OS they are running security risks. This happens less often with iOS.
  • The case with the FBI doesn't prove Apple's security isn't strong enough, it actually proves the opposite. Google willingly will hand over the ability to unlock phones and retrieve data for the FBI and Google and Microsoft actively give away data of their users. Apple has made a firm stance that they will not willfully give away their customer's data. Not to mention the government merely CLAIMS it found a back door, that back door has not been publicized and no one has even confirmed 100% that this is even true or just bluffing. The FBI could be bluffing merely to scare people into thinking they found a way to scare off potential threats. This kind of hot air is common.
  • No one ever said iOS didn't have any major flaws, you're sounding more like a salesman for Android.
  • Android's malware problem is growing.

So when you tell me that Apple's iOS is the most insecure mobile OS out there and try to brush off my claims as being a "salesman", I find it insulting when the facts clearly show you don't know what you're talking about. I love all the phone OSes for different reason, but what I don't love is when people blindly worship one and will shit talk the others and not care if what they are saying is even remotely true.

Everyone should have the facts about ALL platforms to make an informed choice. I do not work for Apple, I work for phones meaning I give people the information to make objective choices. Every OS has a purpose for different users, and that is okay. If people choose Android or Windows phone or even Firefox OS that is their choice, but I am not okay with telling them that iOS is the most insecure OS there is, when there is more evidence pointing to that being Android.

I remain objective about this.

Edited by Guest

I use an Android, but it's an Android tablet. The thing I use for calling is an LG Cosmos 3, and regardless of the name, it is not even close to out of this world. It's easily the worst phone I have ever owned. It sucks at browsing the internet, games as simple as PAC-MAN lag like hell yet PAC-MAN Kart Rally, a racing game, lags not very much at all. But enough of the complaining.

I've used both Android and iOS extensively and I prefer Android. Much more open and a "I can do what I want" vibe to it. Apple is just too closed off. That said I've got an iPhone 4S that a friend gave me a couple years ago...over those 2 years, it's gotten slow, battery life isn't what it used to be...but it works. I just use it for the Apps and music.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Symbian 9.2. 

I am thinking about getting a phone that runs Linux, but it's expensive and I can just carry a UMPC that I already have and it may be a bit better. I don't really want to pay a lot of money just to have one device that's both a phone (bigger than my current one) and the UMPC (with fewer ports, so I may need to bring the UMPC anyway).

• Brohoof 1

To make it clear, all my cell phones have no options for me to choose. So I simply don't think of it as "using an OS" out of free will, but rather just using a smart phone.

• Brohoof 1

I currently use android, and will be replacing it for an iPhone cause I'm done with the really buggy glitchy software

On 2021-09-11 at 10:17 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I mainly use Android and the Amazon Fire's OS (whatever it may be).

Fire OS is just Android but with a lot of Amazon customization and ads

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I have iOS but I would use Linux if I could

Linux is probably not the right choice (for you). Not even on a PC since it takes a lot of time to configure, has an endless list of ways to do that configuration, and not everything does what the configuration was supposed to.

iOS is actually quite user friendly and does the job well.

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

Linux is probably not the right choice (for you). Not even on a PC since it takes a lot of time to configure, has an endless list of ways to do that configuration, and not everything does what the configuration was supposed to.

If you are willing to do the research and learn, Linux is good. If you just want the thing to work and do not want to customize it, then Linux may not be that good. Also, Linux would not be that good if you fear or hate the command line, because sooner or later you will have to open the terminal.

• Brohoof 2

Samsung's Android, along with kyocera's and Windows. Came from iOS about 10 years ago.

I would prefer something else, but like Pentium said, linux likes to rely on the command line...heavily sometimes...which is my main irritation with it. "You just get used to doing that" so why haven't they just made a shortcut built into the system?

Edited by TheGleaner

On 2021-12-03 at 11:28 AM, TheGleaner said:

I would prefer something else, but like Pentium said, linux likes to rely on the command line...heavily sometimes...which is my main irritation with it. "You just get used to doing that" so why haven't they just made a shortcut built into the system?

It's because people who can do it (programmers), prefer the command line as it is more powerful. When using Linux, I do a bunch of stuff in the terminal, even if it was possible to do it using GUI, because it's just faster and more convenient to me.

Also, writing instructions for someone using the command line is much easier (run these commands) than going so for GUI (click on this, then then there should be a button in the corner, click on that....)

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

I am pretty sure Linux is not really an option for mobile OSes anyways.

There are some devices that can run Linux. I almost want a Cosmo Communicator, but it's expensive. Still, could be useful. But at the same time, I can just carry a UMPC.

4 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

There are some devices that can run Linux. I almost want a Cosmo Communicator, but it's expensive. Still, could be useful. But at the same time, I can just carry a UMPC.

Thinking more of the iPad, iPhone, Android stuff?

I know it was a thing to get Linux to run on Xbox and Playstation, but mobile phones are really limited in their capabilities, like input.

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

Thinking more of the iPad, iPhone, Android stuff?

That device runs Android by default, but you can install Linux to it. While it may or may not be possible to install Linux on all mobile devices, if I was going to buy one, I would look for one that could run Linux (and had keyboard/keypad).

16 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

It's because people who can do it (programmers), prefer the command line as it is more powerful. When using Linux, I do a bunch of stuff in the terminal, even if it was possible to do it using GUI, because it's just faster and more convenient to me.

Also, writing instructions for someone using the command line is much easier (run these commands) than going so for GUI (click on this, then then there should be a button in the corner, click on that....)

I was hinting towards copying certain files to or from certain places...or finding certain files, but instead finding out you have to do it all on the command line.

There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason or rule to it either. If I remember correctly, to install a driver for an older, yet common nic, I couldn't just use the gui and copy the files to their respective places, it all had to be done through the command line...yet you could kill the system by deleting critical OS files through the gui.

That's what I was meaning, instead of simply "copy, paste, copy, paste, copy, paste, paste, run/run this command" it took about 40 lines I recall(something about "access denied" if I tried to move it directly, even as root/sudo, so I had to file hop down the directory)...and thinking "why?" Then again the only reason I was doing that was on direction of a die hard "linux can do no wrong" guy for something that didn't work anyways, so maybe that was half the issue. 

The "easier" part is debatable, but it is easy just to copy someone's random, untested, anonymous commands that way though. :)

Edited by TheGleaner
Sudo, not sudoku

13 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason or rule to it either. If I remember correctly, to install a driver for an older, yet common nic, I couldn't just use the gui and copy the files to their respective places, it all had to be done through the command line...yet you could kill the system by deleting critical OS files through the gui.

Installing a driver on Linux is usually an "advanced" operation, unless the manufacturer provides a package for your distribution (best) or a shell script (acceptable) that can copy the required files to where they should be. 

The problem with GUI on Linux is that there are many different options for it, someone trying to write instructions for GUI would have to write them for each of the more popular options, but usually the command line instructions work for more people.