Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Most unheard of games, that you know?

PonkiePoo

I love this game to bits from the early 2000's, most epic RPG I've been part of. And yet when I mention it, people look at me as if I'm making it up. Anyone else experienced this master piece? post-38820-0-76544800-1468326842.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Here's one game i used to play as a kid, but never beat. I tried it again more recently, and it's a fun time. It's like Ratchet and Clank but with more of a collectathon aspect to it.latest.thumb.jpg.635f9aee2c62307d822ab5a2515d2e12.jpg

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 1

Had a game called Blasto on the PS1, not exactly the greatest game ever, but it's mainly known for being Phil Hartman's last voice role ever

Blasto_Coverart.png

Also Yakuza, yeah it's gotten more noticed on the internet, but it's still fairly niche. I still own the first on the PS2

MV5BYmJjY2NkY2ItOTMyZi00MjljLWE3NTItN2RiYTkwMjMyYjA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

Also hardly anyone in my area know what it is, asked someone at work if they new what it was and responded with "isn't it GTA in Japan?" which made me die a little inside

• Brohoof 1

Contact for the Nintendo DS. It's sad that it's a game I've never heard discussed by anyone who isn't me or a reviewer taking a dump on it just because it's a bit short or because they're not paid to praise it (like I swear they have been for some games). The game is probably one of the most well-structured RPGs I've ever played, and that says something considering I've played plenty of RPGs in the time I've lived. Also probably among my favorite video games of all time. Deserves more praise.

Contact_DSBOX_f.jpg

• Brohoof 1

One of my favorite games of all time is a peaceful flight simulation game called Sky Odyssey that came out in 2000. It was one of the earliest games for the PS2 and I remember spending much of my childhood trying to get past the adventure mode.

Ever played a Pilotwings game? This is pretty similar, but not as well-known.

220px-Sky_Odyssey_Coverart.png

This video sums it up pretty well:

Edited by Prospektlicious
  • Brohoof 2

Dead-Head-Fred_PSP_US.thumb.jpg.e084e400c8c81ba67e1d26cbf8728476.jpg61HV4JATISL.jpg.555cbe9329056971435514aad330bf62.jpg

Here are 2 games that I've never heard anyone ever talk about. Dead Head Fred is a game where you play as guy who has to switch heads to solve puzzles to progress through the game, and for use during combat as well as boss fights. 

Stick It to the Man is a short, but fun puzzle platformer about scanning brains and escaping the government. The game is really weird. I mean weird.

Ladies and Gentleman, I bring you the cheese rap.

Opoona on the Wii is pretty obscure. It had a following for awhile but that seemed to die out eventually. It was this ATB RPG where you played as a group of alien "Tizarian" siblings who crash landed on a future Earth. Aliens on Earth are a fairly common thing, so you're accepted, but your parents are seriously injured. The bulk of the game is this really cool adventure where you explore a really unique version of Earth with some of the weirdest enemy and character design you'll ever see. The plot starts off as a fairly basic quest structured story where you work as a soldier of sorts, but it eventually evolves into this really unexpected and extensive story with cults, bandits, and an ancient alien menace. The game was largely disliked for its admittedly poor pacing and bad structure, but if you can get over that, it's a really fun adventure. Amazing OST too, if you like more chill, relaxed music in your games. 

It's not nearly as obscure, but it's a game I do't hear much out of a very specific group of people, but Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth was amazing. While its roster of playable Digimon was rather slim, it had a compelling narrative that lasts well over 80 hours, keeping my interest the whole time (once you get past the slow start, that is). It really eels like you're playing through an entire anime with story arcs, character development and consistently rising stakes. One minute, you're threatening weirdos who stalk girls, the next you're fighting against a company that kidnaps girls and turns them into waifu pillows (yes that happens and it's hilarious), before you know it you're fighting to save the entire multiverse and finally you're fight the literal embodiment of the seven deadly sins who have long sense transcended space and time created the very concepts of good and evil. It's crazy good. The cast of characters are all memorable, from the extremely good-natured protagonist whose both insane and yet the only sane character, his rival who actually manages to pull off the "edgy rival arc" quite well and an old, washed up KISS cosplayer who speaks in l33t speak. I hear its follow-up is even  better!

• Brohoof 1

ps2_dogs_life-110214.thumb.jpg.89b5def3cc6790f02581532d2d53aad5.jpg I remember this game ends on a unnecessarily brutal note.

46119-war-of-the-monsters-playstation-2-front-cover.thumb.jpg.d1a8def75ba18553e60e6a3b5631cdd2.jpg

One of my favorite video games of all time. This is one giant homage to all the B-Movies of the 1940s and 1950s. I probably spent more hours on this game than any other when I was younger. 

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, ultrairongorilla said:

ps2_dogs_life-110214.thumb.jpg.89b5def3cc6790f02581532d2d53aad5.jpg I remember this game ends on a unnecessarily brutal note.

46119-war-of-the-monsters-playstation-2-front-cover.thumb.jpg.d1a8def75ba18553e60e6a3b5631cdd2.jpg

One of my favorite video games of all time. This is one giant homage to all the B-Movies of the 1940s and 1950s. I probably spent more hours on this game than any other when I was younger. 

Both are games I really wanted to play as a kid. Especially War of the Monsters! Destroy All Humans! was another great homage to B-Movies kinda game. 

We really need a new giant monster game, man.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Galaxian Darkanine said:

Both are games I really wanted to play as a kid. Especially War of the Monsters! Destroy All Humans! was another great homage to B-Movies kinda game. 

We really need a new giant monster game, man.

I loved Destroy All Humans 1 and 2 as a kid too. Some of the first games I remember completing. (I even got a Wii back in 2008 for the third game and an Xbox 360 for Path Of The Furon.) It makes me happy that the company that now hold the rights to it, are in the stages of figuring how to bring in back for the newer consoles.

21 minutes ago, Nightfallicious Gloamiscus said:

I sort of remember playing this game, I never finished it though.

Interestingly, here in Australia, it was only rated PG.

I remember it was pretty reliant on gross out humor, and the villain gets grounded up into dog food at the end, thats probably why it's T rated here. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ultrairongorilla said:

I loved Destroy All Humans 1 and 2 as a kid too. Some of the first games I remember completing. (I even got a Wii  back in 2008 for the third game and an Xbox 360 for Path Of The Furon.) It makes me happy that the company that now hold the rights to it, are in the stages of figuring out to bring in back for the newer consoles.

Whoa, really? I recently rebought Destroy All Humans on PSN and have been having a blast with it. The fact that their may be a new game coming soon leaves me elated.

• Brohoof 1

If by unheard you mean beyond underappreciated, then I can think of two games that are from the Sega Saturn,

Imagem

AND,

Shining Force III (Game) - Giant Bomb

Probably some of the best RPGs that will NEVER be re-released since Sega lost the source code to make these. And even if they did recover it, it would be insultingly expensive and not worth the investment since Shining Force 3 released on the West was only 1/3 of the game. Meaning this game has 3 scenarios and Western audiences only got the First Scenario which ends on a cliffhanger like Golden Sun. The other two scenarios were only released in Japan.

Only on the Sega Saturn. Only on the Sega Saturn.

I feel like one of very few people who knows about the forgotten Super Mario Bros. sequel, Super Mario Bros. Special, which was not released outside of Asia.

Basically, it's a harder version of the original, due to a combination of clunky physics, glitchy mechanics, and less time to complete each level.

One version in particular, for the Japanese PC-88 computer, has a really ugly color palette, and the side-scrolling system is broken... it shifts from screen to screen when you reach the right side of each panel, and goes dark (so you can't see where you're going for a moment) while the scene shifts. I tried it on an emulator once and it was pretty frustrating. Basically, you are taking a shot in the dark because unless you are familiar with the level, you don't know if you are going to plunge into a bottomless pit.

super-mario-bros-special_6.png

• Brohoof 2

header.jpg?t=1478029941

According to steamspy there are 434,000 owners and 253,000 players with ~2700 playing in the last week, which is quite a bit more than I expected given that I've never heard anyone else mention it. A cracking asymmetric RTS / 4X type game where you fight against two incredibly powerful AI, and the only way to win is to grow your forces whilst appearing too insignificant a threat for the AI to squash. It also has a very unusual drop-in, drop-out co-op feature, which is rare enough in any game and almost unknown in RTS or 4X games. They didn't skimp on scale either;

Spoiler

FihaBattle1_LinesMeet.jpg

'3324 Enemy Ships At This Planet' ... and that Threat counter looks nasty...

Arcen Games often produce games with an interesting feature or twist, often with mixed results, but this is my favourite of the lot.

• Brohoof 1

Sweet Home for the Famicom

Sweet_Home_Japanese_Famicom_box_art.jpg

A real horror RPG that even gave birth to the door opening loading screen from Resident Evil. It's a great game that never saw a US release due to its content. There is a fan localized version online somewhere IIRC. 

hqdefault.jpg

2.jpg

39563-space-station-silicon-valley-ninte

I never had a N64 back in the day, but I remember seeing this game in a gaming magazine and absolutely falling in love with it. When I finally got the console a couple of years ago this was one of the first games I got for it.

And it was worth it; yet it's never mentioned amongst the platforming greats, and that always confounds me. Heck, you hear Bubsy, Crock, Gex, and others first before you ever hear of this one, and that's a damn shame, IMO.

• Brohoof 2

On 1/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, ultrairongorilla said:

Before Transformers War and Fall of Cybertron, this was the first decent Transformers game. I mean who doesn't love a Transformers game with ragdoll physics?transformers_ps2usbox.jpg.d9889992401872f8bb7ea2292df41c6c.jpg

That was a really good game, that's up there with War/Fall of Cybertron and Devastation as my fav. Transformers game

• Brohoof 1

4772984-l.jpg?v=1466423527

Haven: Call of the King

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth to have played this game. Haven was released by Traveller's Tales back when they had a really cool logo and released more than Lego games. It's a very ambitious game; it's a mix of platforming, racing and Star Fox-like space combat. It had great graphics for a 2002 game and it's story was pretty interesting. I quite enjoyed the game as a kid despite some parts of the game being mediocre. The platforming and space fights are a lot better than the racing and on-rails shooting sections. Another one of Haven's major problems was it's terrible ending.

Spoiler

Your character is literally chained to a wall for all eternity after being betrayed by his friend. There's no resolutions at all.

I think part of the problem was that it was originally intended to be a trilogy of games, but the two planned sequels were scrapped after the game didn't sell well. Apparently the game meant a lot to its creator. It was inspired by his Christian faith. I kind of feel bad for the guy. It's sad to see something that was so personal to him (which he invested a lot of time in) ultimately fall-flat.

Edited by Tiny Hoofs

Spy VS Spy the game.
Image result for Spy vs spy game xbox

A game that took the concept of the original Spy VS Spy the game on the Nintendo Entertainment System, remade it for the Xbox, and PlayStation 2... and expanded upon it adding new levels types, game modes, weapons, the introduction to the red and blue spy for four player games, and a campaign where you play as either the black or white spy. Not many people I know of talk about this game, but it was no doubt one of the best games I've played on the Xbox Classic with my sister and friends. I really hope they make this game backwards compatible for the Xbox One, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know this series?

gc_tak_and_the_power_of_juju_p_j5jntl.jpTak_2_-_The_Staff_of_Dreams_Coverart.png

I thought the Tak cartoon was a mess. :dry: But the first couple of games, which were the ones I played as a kid, were alright, even though I don't see myself returning to them out of nostalgia.

• Brohoof 1