Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Haters on FIMFiction - need an answer

(edited)

Ok so I have a serious problem. I just submitted a fanfic I worked really hard on, and within the first TWENTY MINUTES of submission a whole bunch of people were punching the dislike button and tossing it into their "Bad fanfics" and "Edgy" and "Disgusting" folders. Yet I put absolutely no NSFW content within the story and I wrote it well like I did with my other fanfics. Yes, 6 dislikes in under an hour...WTF??  :-o

Is this normal? Has the fandom suddenly turned on me because I wrote a fanfic about a skateboard-loving teen ending up in Equestria? Are we bronies becoming just as judgemental as our haters?  :wat:

Please help me out guys I honestly don't know what to do anymore and my confidence and motivation to continue this fanfic is slipping away like sand through my fingers.  :(

Here it is if you wanna read it: [link]

Edited by Shabb3r
  • Brohoof 5

People on fimfiction will downvote anything human in Equestria/self insert and put them in bad fan fiction folders without even reading them. They don't need a reason for it; it's what they do.

• Brohoof 3

Haters going to hate,  that happens in any branch of fandom you can find hon.   Keep writing and you will find ppl who like ur work and finding a good beta is also good  when it comes to fixing things!

• Brohoof 4

I think the problem is the type of fanfic you wrote is an overdone one. An average human being teleported into Equestria. This is a commonly done fanfic and a commonly not done well fanfic. So some people probably will have a tendency to auto dislike any human in Equestria fics. Not to say this is a good thing, just giving the reason to why they probably would.

• Brohoof 6

Human in Equestria is a genre considered very hard to do well. As a result it often gets doe voted out of the gate. That being said though, you need to be able to take criticism.

Has the fandom suddenly turned on me because I wrote a fanfic about a skateboard-loving teen ending up in Equestria?

I would say no. My personal theory is that some people simply though that your fan fic was bad and therefore disliked it.
  • Brohoof 5

Looks like everyone's already given their thoughts, and they're just about all right. It is true that a lot of readers on Fimfiction won't actually read your story before voting on it and it is true that human-in-Equestria style stories are very difficult to do well. And by difficult, I mean near-impossible. I'm a somewhat well-established writer on Fimfiction already, and I don't dare touch the subject. That's how sensitive it is.

But I'll toss my hat into the ring as well by offering you a perspective from the haters' point of view. Because I have been there (and still am, to a degree). The response you've received so far is sadly, quite typical. Fair warning: what I say might appear harsh, and that's because Fimfiction is rather critical as a rule, and even more so when it comes to HiE stories.

Ahem.

Fimfiction hates contrived setups, and this story kind of reeks of one. "Portal to Equestria"? How does the portal get there? Why does it appear on Earth? What's so special about this Henry that he gets transported there? Lots of poor stories actually start this way: with a plot device that exists for no other reason than to start a story.

Fimfiction also hates human-pony romances, especially when they start out like this. We don't know anything about Henry besides the fact that he's a skater (who could come across as a wimp). Why is he so special that one of the Mane 6 find something special in him? We don't know, and thus the only conclusion left to draw is that he's special because the author wants him to be special. For no other reason than the author wants romance to be in the story, not because Henry deserves it or earned it. Again, contrived plot device.

Fimfiction doesn't like novices. That's kind of cruel, but novices do tend to write lackluster stories more often than not. Your story doesn't speak of experience, either. A lot of new writers start by writing a story like this. That, and your story's word count is just above the minimum (1,000), another sign. Three, your chapter lengths are exceptionally short; that's bad because it belies simplicity. Complicated and more intriguing chapters generally need more than 1,000 words to develop (about 3,000+ is where the "beginner" filter starts to be taken down, from experience).

Ah.

Sorry about that. I know that was kind of mean, and I apologize for that. But notice that none of my comments ever delved into the story itself, just its first impression. First impressions are powerful. Everything I said is more than enough to convince the average Fimfiction user not to read your story but to downvote and leave. Hence the "haters" on your story. Say what you will about the community, but Fimfiction will not hesitate to tell you what it really thinks about your story. If they think it's trash, it will be rated so.

Why I'm here on MLPF and not commenting on Fimfiction is because I'm tired of that acidic atmosphere as well. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it's a bit judicial and unfair the way Fimfiction behaves, I feel. (But they are, nevertheless, accurate.) If you need more help or need clarification, you know where to find me. ;)

• Brohoof 10

Looks like everyone's already given their thoughts, and they're just about all right. It is true that a lot of readers on Fimfiction won't actually read your story before voting on it and it is true that human-in-Equestria style stories are very difficult to do well. And by difficult, I mean near-impossible. I'm a somewhat well-established writer on Fimfiction already, and I don't dare touch the subject. That's how sensitive it is.

But I'll toss my hat into the ring as well by offering you a perspective from the haters' point of view. Because I have been there (and still am, to a degree). The response you've received so far is sadly, quite typical. Fair warning: what I say might appear harsh, and that's because Fimfiction is rather critical as a rule, and even more so when it comes to HiE stories.

Ahem.

Fimfiction hates contrived setups, and this story kind of reeks of one. "Portal to Equestria"? How does the portal get there? Why does it appear on Earth? What's so special about this Henry that he gets transported there? Lots of poor stories actually start this way: with a plot device that exists for no other reason than to start a story.

Fimfiction also hates human-pony romances, especially when they start out like this. We don't know anything about Henry besides the fact that he's a skater (who could come across as a wimp). Why is he so special that one of the Mane 6 find something special in him? We don't know, and thus the only conclusion left to draw is that he's special because the author wants him to be special. For no other reason than the author wants romance to be in the story, not because Henry deserves it or earned it. Again, contrived plot device.

Fimfiction doesn't like novices. That's kind of cruel, but novices do tend to write lackluster stories more often than not. Your story doesn't speak of experience, either. A lot of new writers start by writing a story like this. That, and your story's word count is just above the minimum (1,000), another sign. Three, your chapter lengths are exceptionally short; that's bad because it belies simplicity. Complicated and more intriguing chapters generally need more than 1,000 words to develop (about 3,000+ is where the "beginner" filter starts to be taken down, from experience).

Ah.

Sorry about that. I know that was kind of mean, and I apologize for that. But notice that none of my comments ever delved into the story itself, just its first impression. First impressions are powerful. Everything I said is more than enough to convince the average Fimfiction user not to read your story but to downvote and leave. Hence the "haters" on your story. Say what you will about the community, but Fimfiction will not hesitate to tell you what it really thinks about your story. If they think it's trash, it will be rated so.

Why I'm here on MLPF and not commenting on Fimfiction is because I'm tired of that acidic atmosphere as well. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it's a bit judicial and unfair the way Fimfiction behaves, I feel. (But they are, nevertheless, accurate.) If you need more help or need clarification, you know where to find me. ;)

Agreed, even us veterans on FiMFiction have to deal with hate sometimes and it really becomes a balance of knowing when the hate is legitimate and that you should adjust and knowing when people are just being a pain in the ass and to brush it off. It's a very fine line to walk, and many people end up leaving the site because they can't take it.

It is the internet. If you go on the internet, you are gonna find haters. If you can't stand haters, stay off the internet. Just because some people were saying your fan-fiction is horrible, does not mean it is. Not saying it isn't, because I have not read it. Though I hope you are not to offended by people disliking your fan-fiction.

(edited)

I recall past MLPF user with FIMFiction account who had his story/stories rated negatively, then started to complain about how his story was rated. Essentially, he demanded that everyone who left a negative review to write detailed comment as to why they rated how they did which made him appear seem very entitled. Then, when some of them did leave comments, he then argued with them which made him look like someone who refuses to acknowledge flaws in his works. Realizing what he did, he had all comments removed somehow, but his reputation still worsened after that incident.

I don't know particularly of FIMFiction, but I would generally say that when your work is rated poorly, it's probably best to not make accusations against those who rated negatively or simply dismissing them as haters. It could either make you look bad, or you will limit how much you could improve by ignoring constructive criticism (no matter how hostile they may be in tone).

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 5

Any story has to read well. Especially for dyslexic folk like myself. Half the words can be missing, but if it flows I'm in :)

Dislikes are worthless. Mostly it means somepony was looking for a particular genre, but found something that wasn't it and hit the dislike button. Proof; get Lost Narrator or the like to voice a story and watch the ratio change instantly, because then folk are finding the story who were looking for it, or you.

Likes are worth a bit more. Likes are good :D folk don't 'like' stuff they don't like. Doesn't mean they love it though.

Comments; If you are bad at writing they can help, if you are good they can cheer you up, if you are middle ground they can be fun. Because if it's a good piece there will be audience questions. (Expect more if it's an audio book)

Favorites or read list; The only ones I really rate to be honest. That's your reader-base of fans. That's like subs on YouTube. The folk who come back to see what your next work reads like and read/listen to the same story more than once.

What works on fimfiction? I joke a gryphon with a gloop gun trying to seduce/kill princess twilight will always go down well, but it's not far off the mark. Essentially though, it could be grimdark, horror, cute, romance, trollfic or slice of life and it will work if it brings something new to a well established fandom.

You paint a picture with words and ideally nopony has seen that design before ;)

I actually received a (Granted, jokingly worded) death threat over there. I almost quit the story after that first chapter, but decided to continue. I'm glad I did. Overall, the story is doing quite well. You have to take the good with the bad.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

"Anything that keeps the fire burning is a good thing." -Scott Cawthon (Hate on me for that)

So your story isn't doing quite well, that's kinda expected for people at the FIMfiction wheel for the first time. My first story got 6 dislikes in ten minutes because it was either too long, or too confusing. Either way, it's those kind of things that we writers have to embrace. It's the hatred from our fans that drives us to success. I recently got rejected from EQ:D, and boy, I felt like crap after that. I wasn't sure if I could write anymore (seriously!). But as I promised to the public, some written works need to be finished, and others have due dates to be released. 

Don't stop writing; it's a gift. Whether or not you'll finish the one you've described or not is up to you. Sometimes it's better to start from a fresh slate to stretch your imagination; trust me, I know. I always try to keep in mind the rejections Satoshi Tajiri went through when publishing Pokemon. He was rejected several times! Look at him now! Just because someone doesn't like your idea, doesn't mean others won't!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Eh i've gotten few haters on occasion but nothing too bad ican't handle. althoug granted the stuff i wrote could count as 'fetish' materail but it not clop. Of course it nothing wide spread as HIE stories are so probably cause no one looks at it.  Usually providing tags or includes: inserts stuff here , works well.

As for what folder they put it in eh seen some strange one like some puttin a story under clop folder when it wasn't even NSFW stuff.

Ok so I have a serious problem. I just submitted a fanfic I worked really hard on, and within the first TWENTY MINUTES of submission a whole bunch of people were punching the dislike button and tossing it into their "Bad fanfics" and "Edgy" and "Disgusting" folders. Yet I put absolutely no NSFW content within the story and I wrote it well like I did with my other fanfics. Yes, 6 dislikes in under an hour...WTF??  :-o

Well I have one  answer for this...people are stupid you know. I've been at fimfiction for a month I created my third story and there was like 1 like and 8 dislikes and comments like - Stupid, delete this crap... etc...

So yeah people dislike your story because they want you to give up you know and I gived up....

Hope this help ya.

Your writing is good, no matter how it's written - it's how YOU interpret things!

Just keep trying to write until you get something you think others will like, and I'm sure you'll find the winning work! Don't give up, is what I'm saying. :)

I only dislike if a particular in-story element gets under my skin too much (e.g., any story where it's too easy to get sent to Hell for even a single mistake -- gee, what a worthwhile universe/multiverse to stay invested in!).

• 4 weeks later...

Is this normal? Has the fandom suddenly turned on me because I wrote a fanfic about a skateboard-loving teen ending up in Equestria? Are we bronies becoming just as judgemental as our haters?  :wat:

Please help me out guys I honestly don't know what to do anymore and my confidence and motivation to continue this fanfic is slipping away like sand through my fingers.  :(

Here it is if you wanna read it: %5Blink%5D

I don't really have a way to say this gently, so here I go:

The title is the first impression people get of your story, pick a better one, preferably one that doesn't sound like it could be the name of Nintendo's latest release. It needs to leave something to the imagination that will make someone at least click on your story, name it after something to do with skating; for example there's a decent fic named "Whiplash" about a biker who ends up in Equestria. Notice how the name wasn't "Biker Man."

The description is the second thing people look at, it shouldn't be used as a prologue to your story. After reading your description, people should want to learn more about the character involved, make it more mysterious. Never tell people to "go easy on you in the comments". The genre isn't overrated, it's overdone. The vast majority of HiE fics are objectively shit, and that's coming from someone who has enjoyed dozens of them. It is an extremely hard genre to do well, and probably not the best place to start for a first time author.

The way you have Harry entering Equestria is contrived as hell. Why is Harry special? Why did the portal show up where it did? The portal to Equestria trope is overused as hell, especially when you don't give a reason for the portal being there. Generally speaking, portals don't just "appear", someone has to make them (I know it's a fictional concept, I am referring to in stories). So unless he's been summoned by the princesses to save Equestria or something, a portal isn't the best way to bring him to Equestria.

The main advice I have to give you is to read the highest rated stories on the site, and look for what they have in common. Try to see what those authors did right, message them for help if you want, most of them are more than happy to help someone who wants to start writing. Also, get a prereader, they can catch mistakes so that your readers won't have to.

Also, I can assure you that almost all the likes and dislikes on your story came from people who read it, every chapter has more than 100 views.

Edited by Ra1nbowCrasH
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @@Shabb3r, I know this topic is a bit old, but it's not quite in the right spot. While it involves a completed Fanfic, it's more about a writing issue. We recently did some reorganizing of Octavia'a Hall, and I believe this thread was made before that. ANYWHO! Moving your thread to Writing Resources.

Hi @@Shabb3r, I know this topic is a bit old, but it's not quite in the right spot. While it involves a completed Fanfic, it's more about a writing issue. We recently did some reorganizing of Octavia'a Hall, and I believe this thread was made before that. ANYWHO! Moving your thread to Writing Resources.

That's okay. It's a dead thread anyways and the issue I was complaining about has been fully understood and resolved.

• Brohoof 1

People are jerks. Take a longer term view. Check things again in two weeks for a more accurate idea of how well it was received.

EDIT: Or, check it now, since I just noticed this thread is from July. :)

Edited by Red Cedar