Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cutie marks that don't seem to fit

Foxy Socks

(edited)

Not sure if this is the best for discussion, but there seem to be a few ponies who's cutie mark doesn't seem to match with them or their talent. For example:

post-36168-0-63415500-1467595781_thumb.png

post-36168-0-29575900-1467595790_thumb.png

The ponies Minuette and Derpy don't seem to have cutie marks matching what would seem to be their talent. Minuette is usually seen as a dentist despite her cutiemark being an hourglass (yes I know it is a joke but it makes no sense for her cutie mark), and Derpy, who seems to be a mailmare/mail pony despite having bubbles.

I can kind of see Derpy, but it doesn't seem to be a talent still. Minuette, though being a background pony, hasn't been shown to have anything to do with her cutie mark. It sometimes just is a design that looks nice, which is probably the case production-wise.

There are probably other ponies like this. What do you think?

Edited by Namae
  • Brohoof 1

Not sure if this is a worldwide thing, but in the UK, dentists for younger children use miniature hourglasses to help them keep their mind off of being at the dentist, maybe her mark is based off of this? It seems like a stretch, but it's the only link I can see aside from it being completly unrelated

• Brohoof 5

Not sure if this is a worldwide thing, but in the UK, dentists for younger children use miniature hourglasses to help them keep their mind off of being at the dentist, maybe her mark is based off of this? It seems like a stretch, but it's the only link I can see aside from it being completly unrelated

That actually never occurred to me. When I was a kid, I would receive a toy plastic hourglass with colored powder in it if I behaved well during appointments. I can’t say that it's particularly common, I have no idea.

But, props to you for bringing that up. I never would have remembered otherwise.

• Brohoof 3

Well, considering that we have no idea what those ponies talents are it's kind of hard to say whether or not their cutie marks match with their talents.

• Brohoof 1

The dentist thing is a fandom creation ... we don't know where she works for sure. Cutie marks don't always mean career. The mean talent. Minuette is likely excellent at scheduling and Derpy has an effervescent approach to normalcy. Poetry in action. Dentist offices need front desk people. ;)

You can use your talent toward a career of course, and sometimes a cutie mark can be symbolic as well. Rarity and Diamond Tiara are perfect examples of how that works

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

When has Minuette been a dentist? Which season and episode?

I think she dressed as a dentist for Nightmare Night in Luna Eclipsed.

So by that logic we can say that Pipsqueak makes a career of pillaging ships off of the coast of Equestria.

Edit: MLP Wikia (which is fan written, so their word is as good as ours) seems to think Minuette's Nightmare Night costume was a surgeon, not a dentist.

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 2

When has Minuette been a dentist? Which season and episode?

It's kind of a joke from the fandom because she looks like toothpaste. :P Though not canon, but I used it as an example.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

What in the wide wide world of Equestria does Sea Swirl's cutie mark mean? Does their world even have dolphins? What is her talent? Dolphin whispering?

post_26968_0_95151000_1406243700.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Willing to bet Minuette does something relating to time. Minuette = minute = time = hourglass. I've always thought Sea Swirl and her dolphins were confusing. Cheerilee's cutie mark seems oddly symbolic, considering how obvious most other marks are. also, Coco Crusoe has a palm tree that confuses me. 

(edited)

There's always been ponies like this. It causes fans to scratch their heads or roll their eyes.

Names don't always match symbols, or make sense of hobbies, or talents, or colors.

You'd think that when naming a pony, you can do a color scheme, symbol and hobby/job to match. But nope! Not Hasbro. At least not all the time.

Willing to bet Minuette does something relating to time. Minuette = minute = time = hourglass. I've always thought Sea Swirl and her dolphins were confusing. Cheerilee's cutie mark seems oddly symbolic, considering how obvious most other marks are. also, Coco Crusoe has a palm tree that confuses me.

Its a reference to classic literature. Robinsin Crusoe was a cast away from a book.

Minuet is a Spanish dance, meaning tiny steps.

What in the wide wide world of Equestria does Sea Swirl's cutie mark mean? Does their world even have dolphins? What is her talent? Dolphin whispering?

sig-4586126.post_26968_0_95151000_140624

I love Sea Swirl. Dolphins are some of my favorite marine animals. Maybe she rescues, photographs or studies marine wildlife? Edited by Leave a Whisper

A lot of ponies' cutie marks are highly symbolic, based on a symbol system we're not necessarily familiar with. Take Fleur de Lis's three fleur de lis symbols. What kind of talent does that represent? The talent of having a matching name? More likely she's renamed herself to match the symbols. The fleur de lis symbols in RL are associated with the French monarchy but that's not a talent, or very likely in Equestria (although they are aware of the French language there, as it's popped up several times.) The other use is as a decoration. Fleur has a talent for being decorative? Okay...I could see that.

Blueblood's map compass. What is that for? A talent for being lost in himself? :)

And cutie-marks repeat themselves, do they mean the exact same thing in each instance? Minuette and Doctor Whooves/Time Turner share their cutie mark with several other background ponies. In the Crystal Empire there only appears to be about five different cutie marks between all of it's inhabitants.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes it's not that complicated:

full.jpg

Blueblood's map compass. What is that for? A talent for being lost in himself?

My headcanon is that Blueblood is heavy into yachting.

• Brohoof 2

A lot of ponies' cutie marks are highly symbolic, based on a symbol system we're not necessarily familiar with. Take Fleur de Lis's three fleur de lis symbols. What kind of talent does that represent? The talent of having a matching name? More likely she's renamed herself to match the symbols. The fleur de lis symbols in RL are associated with the French monarchy but that's not a talent, or very likely in Equestria (although they are aware of the French language there, as it's popped up several times.) The other use is as a decoration. Fleur has a talent for being decorative? Okay...I could see that.

Blueblood's map compass. What is that for? A talent for being lost in himself? :)

And cutie-marks repeat themselves, do they mean the exact same thing in each instance? Minuette and Doctor Whooves/Time Turner share their cutie mark with several other background ponies. In the Crystal Empire there only appears to be about five different cutie marks between all of it's inhabitants.

Yes I noticed ponies sharing the same cutie marks too. It's like cloning ponies in the crowds. Not many people will seem to notice or care. 

It  would be interesting if there was an episode on 

sharing cutie marks in the show.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity has three gemstones as her Cutie Mark because of her ability to find precious stones. But in reality, she displays far more affinity toward making dresses. So talent and passion can both play a factor, but the deciding factor can vary. 

• Brohoof 1

Cutie marks does say something about their talent but not directly.

Rarity has three jewels as her cutie mark that could confuse someone into thinking she was a jeweller or miner but she's a fashionista.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
42 minutes ago, Swift Flame said:

Photo Finish has the exact same cutie mark as Twilight Sparkle, but Photo Finish has nothing to do with that cutie mark

To my understanding that was an animation error that slipped through.