Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler MLP:FiM #43-45 - Ponies of Dark Water

weesh

(edited)

Ah!

red eyes!  the sure sign of evil afoot!
i guess?

applejack looks pretty striking with red eyes though.  

and those aren't rainbooms as much as they are red-booms.  

It seems a bit...unwise...to send three foals into the everfree forest alone.  
I'm curious how much control super scary fluttershy will have over the animals there.

Also, the last frame of pinkie pie is maybe my second least favorite frame in the comics ever.  Not the sort of thing I want to see.  

Not a bad start to the series, but they really didn't give us much to go on.  I'm glad we've for a luna episode, and I'm hoping for the best in the last two issues.

Edited by weesh

• 2 weeks later...

I'm intrigued as to where the first comic is taking us. It's an interesting concept and I like that it's using the CMC and Spike along with Luna to try and combat this.

Looking forward to the rest. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, issue #44 with pt. 2 of this current tale has been released.

MLP44-Main_cover.jpg

So, any opinions? I actually thought this issue was quite enjoyable. Granted it felt like things were somewhat all over the place.

And that ending...wow. o_o

i think i'll withhold judgement until the story is complete.

i didn't really enjoy reading this one, but it could easilly be redeemed with a strong conclusion.

The three parts of a story seem to be exemplified in this three part series:
#43: put your characters in a tree

#44: throw rocks at them

#45: get them down

the "throw rocks at them" (make things even worse) part of a story is rarely going to be my favorite part, but it sets up the conclusion to be better. 

i hope they deliver.  

• 4 weeks later...

The definition of wasted potential imo. This arc would've benefited from one more comic, because they really rushed the s*** out of this

Pinkie, Twilight and Rarity felt like they were the only villains where they were gonna go anywhere with, and they hyped up Evil Rarity vs Evil Twilight only for it to last a couple of panels

Evil Fluttershy builds an entire army to attack Ponyville only to not do anything

AJ in general just makes a lame villain

And I'm certain they forgot about RD writing this, because she does f*** all as a villain and only shows up right when she's cured. So if you're an RD fan you're pretty much screwed over

Luna turning into Nightmare Moon again only to turn out to be faking it is pretty lame too

The method of curing Ponyville also feels incredibly rushed because by the time things finally start getting excited they immediately turn things back to normal

And for being the biggest bad of all, Twilight coming back to normal by a gag is also pretty lame

Like most arcs in the comics, it was interesting but the final comic completely ruins it :/

Like most arcs in the comics, it was interesting but the final comic completely ruins it :/

really?  I felt that the weakest part of the arc was the setup.  

the third seems to have done the best it could with the setup it was given, and the short amount of panels it had remaining.

also, the third had punctuated bursts of decent humor.  

Its hard for me to harshly judge the finale, because the first two bit off more than could be chewed.  

overall, the arc is week, but I was fearing worse.  the CMC had some strong moments that had me laughing pretty good.

"we're surrounded by fluttershy's adorably cute animal army!"

I thought the issue was pretty good, and I liked how it left off on a somewhat somber note. Granted it felt rushed, but not as bad as it has been in the past. I thought the resolution to each individual character's dilemma was handled fairly well, and I even enjoyed Twilight's cure at the end. Managed a chuckle. XD

Overall I think the arc is enjoyable; if maybe not that memorable. Still it's an enjoyable read. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought it was a fun comic! I knew from the getco it wasn't going to be anything too serious. Nightmare Moon coming back? Come on let's be real. Overdone and old now. I was still hopeful and curious tho. So glad it was done the way it was but I believe it was a little anti-climatic. I was hoping for something more spectacular! But it seems like it ended as soon as it began.

I did like Luna's last words in the end tho. Those were awesome!

• 4 years later...

There was such a great idea behind this arc. I love most of the evil mane six and they even had some good moments. Applejack was set up well in the first part, Pinkie's bit in the second part was cool, the fight between Rarity and Luna was fun, the threat of Fluttershy invading Ponyville was interesting, and Twilight was set up as a great villain. I also really like Luna's ending line since it leaves the reader with a little food for thought. 

The problem was that the execution sucked. Evil Rainbow Dash did nothing. Evil Fluttershy just kinda threatened to do something interesting without actually doing anything. Evil Applejack disappeared after the first part. Twilight's defeat was insanely rushed. This arc being a three parter completely butchered all of its good ideas since it was so rushed. Also, why did the arc have to go with Luna turning into Nightmare Moon? All it did was add an unnecessary cliffhanger. I really wanted to love this arc and there are really good parts, but the execution as a whole just did not work.