Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Friends Forever #28, Luna/CMC

weesh

Jay fosgitt is my favorite MLP artist.  The style is unique, evocative, and the cute is turned up to 11.    

However, does the super cute art seem at odds with the plot?
I'd probably have chosen a more traditional artist, but now that I've had some time to think about it, here are a few reasons why it just kinda works:

• the ability would be way creepier without the cute art.  perhaps it was used as a balance?  
  • it makes even celestia and luna feel more accessible, and for the later this is important.

The teamwork between the crusaders and Luna is very nicely in sync.  The crusaders covered for her very nicely, and then Luna was able to turn her uncertainty into confidence.  I like this side of Luna, and I like that she really warmed to role.

Some additional things

• scootaloo is the 4th wall breaker by peering around the picture frames on the first page
  • twilights face as the dangers of the castle dawn on her is brilliant.
  • Fosgitt managed to keep Luna relatively grounded for most of her frames, so that he could really cut lose and make super strong poses and expressions that would stand out
  • Luna shields the CMC from the torrent of tears with her wing : )
  • Luna and the CMC completely keep their cool when thestra uses her ability, even though they are uncomfortable.  
  • thestra apparently doesn't get complimented very much : (  I'm glad to see it make her day
  • more letters to celestia!  is this the first from luna?
  • third to last panel has Luna in a very heartfelt hug, rather than her standoffish uncomfortable pose.  
  • last panel has her making some sort of tribute to Thestra out of stone or clay, which is very endearing 

Overall, it was a strong comic with a number of great individual moments, and a bit to think about.  

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly; I thought it was a strong story overall. It wasn't the most memorable of plots, but it worked really well. However I do want to bring up one point that was brought up by Sketchy the Changeling in one of his reviews of the comic on YouTube.

In regards to the CMC, and I didn't really notice on the first read, but the CMC have really grown as characters and it shows here. Had this been season 1 they likely would've been more child-like & such, but here they recognize a couple of problems and work with Luna to try and solve them. They have really matured in their mindset, and I thank Sketchy for pointing that out. :)

the CMC have really grown as characters and it shows here. Had this been season 1 they likely would've been more child-like & such, but here they recognize a couple of problems and work with Luna to try and solve them. They have really matured in their mindset, and I thank Sketchy for pointing that out. :)

Getting their marks definitely lead them on a path to help others.  They are cognisant of it as their purpose.  The higher level of maturity makes them much more interesting characters and makes me actually kinda interested to see more of them, which is not something I ever expected.  

Stagnant characters are just frustrating to watch, and the payoff we've gotten in a few of the comics and the last two episodes almost redeems the tragedy of the other episodes.

• Brohoof 1