Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does Rainbow Dash get away with her hair?

Azureth

(edited)

Do you think Canterlot High is a normal school? I mean with the magic, and the purple people and the talking dogs and.... you get the point. Why would rainbow hair be the biggest issue?

Edited by AzureNightLight
  • Brohoof 3

Its a magical spell casted by the ancient wuzerd dimpledoor and so her hair is allowed in every school  :P

Most likely is that her hair is fine with the rules of the school 

It isn't dye, it's her natural hair color. Most school dress code language references one or three key words, 'dye', 'coloring', or 'artificial.'

My kid's highschool dropped this item entirely. My 15 year old has attended high school with 'pinkie pie' pink and bright ass blue. So not every public school even has a hair color rule.

• Brohoof 6

I don't think Canterlot High is the most normal high school out there.

People seem to be pretty accepting of girls magically sprouting wings during pep rallies as well as surprisingly okay with one of the students being a magical pony from another dimension.

• Brohoof 1

Do you mean  her hair color? Because her hair style isn't that strange.

And given that her hair color is NATURAL in this universe (Everyone's blue, purple, pink, ect., and has blue, purple, whatever hair), I think it would be racist to tell her her hair's distracting :P

I think in most High Schools her hair would be considered extreme/distracting and not allowed. 

In what high school? I have never heard of a school having a dress code that barred rainbow hair.

It isn't dye, it's her natural hair color. Most school dress code language references one or three key words, 'dye', 'coloring', or 'artificial.'

Are there actually schools that bar hair color? Why? What is their justification? They would send kids home for something so stupid? 

In what high school? I have never heard of a school having a dress code that barred rainbow hair.

Are there actually schools that bar hair color? Why? What is their justification? They would send kids home for something so stupid?

Yes. The 'distraction' it causes is the usual justification. In fact there have been one or two national news stories of actual student suspensions for dying hair with an auburn hue with the instruction to dye it back to a natural color.

My kids are attending the same high school my wife and I attended (we had a 'natural' color rule in the early to mid 90's). They changed their dress code allowing coloring ... it started when the school Superintendent discouraged it's enforcement before dress codes were revised since issues like family abuse, bullying, and drugs needed more focus. He stated that enforcement of the dye rule would take focus away from more important issues. Also too many were using colored dye.

I think it is absurd as well.

Yes. The 'distraction' it causes is the usual justification. In fact there have been one or two national news stories of actual student suspensions for dying hair with an auburn hue with the instruction to dye it back to a natural color.

My kids are attending the same high school my wife and I attended (we had a 'natural' color rule in the early to mid 90's). They changed their dress code allowing coloring ... it started when the school Superintendent discouraged it's enforcement before dress codes were revised since issues like family abuse, bullying, and drugs needed more focus. He stated that enforcement of the dye rule would take focus away from more important issues. Also too many were using colored dye.

I think it is absurd as well.

I looked it up and I saw apparently even kids with undyed hair have been told to dye their hair a "natural" color because their hair was "too distracting".

That is utter bullshit.

If the school sent my kid home because someone else's kid is distracted by the color purple I would send my kid back the next day with a new color in the mix for every day they complained. Kids are not in school to be "professionals", they are there to learn and socialize. Can't we let them live a little before we strip them of their individuality and turn them into corporate cogs?

And Pinkie Pie's is bright pink.

I think there's every reason to believe that, just like in Equestria, their hair colours are natural.

If anything, it would be more distracting to them to see a young student who had died their hair grey like the Mayor.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Idk. My high school here in America had no problem with kids dyeing their hair. I was actually friends with a couple of students with rainbow hair. But over in Japan's schools, it was a different story XD And many public schools in the US (besides mine) had problems with "distracting" hair color.

But yet again, you have to think. Principal Celestia has some crazy hair color too, and she WORKS for the school XD

• Brohoof 1

She probably bribed the teachers.

But actually, I don't think that normal high school logic applies to EG. Also, not all real schools would be opposed to that. It just depends on how conservative the school and area is. When I was in high school, kids could die their hair different colors without the school caring (but when I wear a bath robe it's "distracting". hypocrites). 

(edited)

To be honest, I thought the same. Although, after all, it is her natural hair colour. Schools don't kick people out because they are blond or brunette - that would be as crazy as kicking people out for dying their hair blue or green or, even a national colour, black… oh wait… that actually happened at my old school. xD Okay then, I guess it's plausible. Schools do have stupid rules after all.

Edited by Flutterstep

I think in most High Schools her hair would be considered extreme/distracting and not allowed.

Dude, I don't think the school is in a posotion to freakout with Dashie's rainbow hair when everyone has skin and hair of every color imaginable :dash:

Do you mean  her hair color? Because her hair style isn't that strange.

And given that her hair color is NATURAL in this universe (Everyone's blue, purple, pink, ect., and has blue, purple, whatever hair), I think it would be racist to tell her her hair's distracting :P

Agreed! Canterlot needs to check their single/dual colored hair privilege!

#RainbowHairLivesMatter

• Brohoof 1

That is because in her world and setting, everyone has hair and skin that exists in various colours (such as Principal Celestia, Dean Cadence, Aria Blaze, and Sour Sweet who have contrasting colours in the same hair), so it is considered "normal".

In the real world, she would not be able to go to school, as she would break the rules by having to dye her hair to avoid distracting the other students. She would also make headlines, especially if her rainbow hair is proven to caused by genetic factors.

Going by the rules of most american public schools, it'd be a public relations blunder and instant local news story for a school to enforce rules like that, doubly so since it's Dashie's natural hair color. Enforcing such a rule only presents a negative image of the school, encourages students to act worse in retaliation, all for what? Looking 'normal?'

Besides, it's not really an issue these days. I dyed my hair red on several occasions in High School. Even did it for my senior picture.  

• Brohoof 1

Going by the rules of most american public schools, it'd be a public relations blunder and instant local news story for a school to enforce rules like that, doubly so since it's Dashie's natural hair color. Enforcing such a rule only presents a negative image of the school, encourages students to act worse in retaliation, all for what? Looking 'normal?'

Besides, it's not really an issue these days. I dyed my hair red on several occasions in High School. Even did it for my senior picture.

Sadly there have been reports of a school forcing a natural red head to change her hair color because it didn't look natural enough.

I've honestly never heard of a public school having rules on students' hair choices...though that may just be because my high school was cool with pretty much anything.

American schools have rules against dyeing one's hair? :o

Depends on the individual school, or school system. Some definitely do have rules against hair colors other than the natural color, and sometimes they tend to be the same schools that ban certain types of t-shirts and piercings other than ear rings. I should know; I went to one of those high schools.