Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

your view of the sonic rainboom

Unlikeable Pony

So, how special do you view the sonic rainboom in universe, and how hard/unique do you generally think of it as being?
asking because recently in the wonderbolts handbook book the Sonic rainboom was listed as a common and "normal" wonderbolt maneuver that every member of the wonderbolts is apparently able to do instead of being legendary and was created by a wonderbolt named commander easyglider.

Not really here to discuss the book specifically, but do you tend to still hold the Sonic rainboom in more respect and wish it was a one of a kind of thing or have you come to view it as more mundane?

1467700046189.jpg

(edited)

Well, I don't hold that publication as canon. The series states over and over again that Rainbow Dash is the only Pegasus able to perform the Sonic Rainboom. One throw away sentence in a money grabber piece of tie-in mechanize doesn't change what the series established.  

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

If it's a move capable by all the WBs I'd prefer it if they learned how to do it from RD

I'd rather it be something special as it gives RD a special edge, than something the WBs already knew how to do, unless the above was applied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQpNU_0ih0

Sonic Rainboom ain't shit anymore.

I'm actually a little confused. They beefed it up so much, only to reveal that it... wasn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Edit: I love how they're trying to make the military all nice and friendly.

So last season in effect; A super move done once suddenly becomes utterly boring the next season, like super saiyan 1 :P

As for the wonderbolts being set up as being nice, well, its the Field manual for it: Military filed manuals will ALWAYS depict their group as a paragon of honor, discipline and camraderie, its kind of how it goes :P Propoganda and all that.

I kind of like it, as its an idealized version of what the wonderbolts stand for and you can legitimately see why, based on their public image, dash would view them as heroes and dream of joining them; The fact that they don't live up to their field manual isn't surprising.

I always figured only Dash and possibly Luna could do it, although I thought the fic Moonspire Run was really good where Spitfire did one.

On that note, I rather dislike it being a common, standard taught wonderbolt maneuver; it really takes away from dash's Uniqueness if its just a difficult Flight maneuver. It'd be kind of like if we were told that every single unicorn in celestia's university was just as powerful as twilight and knew books upon books of Spells or whatnot after Cutie mark chronicles.

It honestly seems like they've been consistently "nerfing" dash in downplaying alot of her flight skill in favor of making it seem like she's still outclassed by the wonderbolts. On the one hand it gives her something to "Shoot" for in dreaming to be "as good" as her idols; on the other hand, in S1 she was presented as a flight prodigy not unlike twilight for magic, and downplaying that seems somewhat disengenous towards dash.

• Brohoof 1

The show has emphasized quite a bit just how big of a deal it is that Dash is capable of performing one. Heck, in the season 5 finale, Filly Dash even refers to it as an old Mare's tale, so she didn't even think it was real until she pulled one off herself. So, this just seems like an error to me.

I doubt Rainbow Dash is the only pegasus to ever have pulled one off, for it to be an old mare's tale, somepony would have had to have done it before, one of the chapter books even makes reference to a previous pony having done one, but it's something that's supposed to be really, really rare, and Dash being able to do it is a big deal. So, I'm just going to ignore this and chalk it up to some mistake.

Honestly, it almost seems like the writers for the book just randomly picked the name of a trick from the show without realizing the significance of what they picked, that bugs me a bit.

• Brohoof 1

The Sonic Rainboom is what makes Rainbow Dash "Rainbow Dash". That's how she received her special Cutie Mark and eventually play a very huge part in Equestria's future too. I think that the Sonic Rainboom in the most upheld right can only be performed by her only so to say and book is false whether unintentionally or not.

• Brohoof 1

I've always viewed the sonic rainboom as something that anyone with enough training and skill could do. I've never really understood why it should be something that only Rainbow Dash is able to do. 

None of the tie in material is really straight canon with the show, except maybe Equestria Girls (and even that's kinda debatable) so I don't think this book has anything to really do with the show's view of the sonic rainboom. That said, I'm still interested in getting this book anyway. :P 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

None of the tie in material is really straight canon with the show, except maybe Equestria Girls (and even that's kinda debatable) so I don't think this book has anything to really do with the show's view of the sonic rainboom. That said, I'm still interested in getting this book anyway. :P

I thought it was pretty good, I do recommend it if you're interested in the WB and are a RD fan

Edited by Jefferson Steelflex

(edited)

I don't think you need to take that at face value. The book wasn't even written by a show writer, and it was just a minor line.

Personally I just read that as more of who can do the best attempt at a sonic rainboom, rather than an actual perfected sonic rainboom.

Edited by Marimo

I don't think you need to take that at face value. The book wasn't even written by a show writer, and it was just a minor line.

Personally I just read that as more of who can do the best attempt at a sonic rainboom, rather than an actual perfected sonic rainboom.

Well, the thing is, they kept plugging the sonic rainboom in the book as a common Wonderbolt maneuver; its listed in the wonderbolt maneuvers alongside the Icarian flight formation for example in addition to all the mentions of the wonderbolts doing it.

Since it IS the flight manual for the organization, that would imply its an expected maneuver for wonderbolts to perform if its in the book.

1467701991958.jpg

Well, the thing is, they kept plugging the sonic rainboom in the book as a common Wonderbolt maneuver; its listed in the wonderbolt maneuvers alongside the Icarian flight formation for example in addition to all the mentions of the wonderbolts doing it.

Since it IS the flight manual for the organization, that would imply its an expected maneuver for wonderbolts to perform if its in the book.

In that case I'm just assuming the author made a mistake thinking the rainboom was part of the Wonderbolts movelist.