Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are some things you love and hate to see in Fimfictions?

Pear Steve

I'm thinking about writing a Fimfiction, but first I'd like to discuss things we love and HATE to see in Fimfictions, this can range from characters to plot. I'll get the ball rolling:

I hate when people make stories where the main character hooks up with one of the mane 6, one of the princesses, or even one of the famous background ponies (like Lyra, Derpy, Applejack, Dr.Whooves, etc)

Stories that only exist as some sort of mouth piece - I don't think I need to explain

Stories where OCs get hitched with any main character - It's obvious self inserts

Stories that exist only to bash characters - Especially if it only exist to make another look good. 99% of the time it just comes off as really petty

Human in Equestria - Again, I don't think I need to explain

• Brohoof 5

Stories that only exist as some sort of mouth piece - I don't think I need to explain

Stories where OCs get hitched with any main character - It's obvious self inserts

Stories that exist only to bash characters - Especially if it only exist to make another look good. 99% of the time it just comes off as really petty

Human in Equestria - Again, I don't think I need to explain

I totally agree, the only time I really have ever seen a good "Human in equestria" fic was Turnabout Storm, which really doesn't even count

I totally agree, the only time I really have ever seen a good "Human in equestria" fic was Turnabout Storm, which really doesn't even count

Yeah, normally whenever I think of HiE, it never involves crossovers, and typically the first thing that comes to mind are usually Brony-In-Equestria fics

Oh, I also hate "Pony on Earth" stories, since they usually fall into "really fucking creepy" territory, especially when the human's first instinct is to usually grope which ever pony is on Earth

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, normally whenever I think of HiE, it never involves crossovers, and typically the first thing that comes to mind are usually Brony-In-Equestria fics

Oh, I also hate "Pony on Earth" stories, since they usually fall into "really fucking creepy" territory, especially when the human's first instinct is to usually grope which ever pony is on Earth

LOL, sorry, but no matter how funny that is, it's 100% true.

I'd also add on the "Son/Daughter of one of the Mane 6/Villains/Princesses/etc" stories usually never work, they always end up being pretty boring or badly written.

Oh, yikes to all of those. I really hate Mary/Gary Sues, or stereotypical black-and-red villains. Sometimes, in an effort to make the OCs be rebellious, they become a tragically depressed-but-perfect person that everyone is jealous of (think My Immortal-type.) Going back to the villains: I don't mind if your OC is red and black, it is a pretty cool color scheme when you think about it, but try not to have them be too contrasting. It makes it very hard to have an artist work with those colors. Villain OCs are okay--they can have started off as evil, but try not to make THEM overpowered, either. And if you're going to mention any canon characters, at least have them be doing something that would be considered normal, and the OC shouldn't have a big part in that character's life. For example, my OC, Mystic Skies, works at Sugarcube Corner as a delivery girl. She doesn't see Pinkie much and isn't a big part of her life. Love triangles are overrated. If the OC is going to have a love interest, don't make more than two ponies attracted to them. Having more than two crushes, even one, is very unlikely.

Hope that helped!

Love: Creativity (too many stories tend to run the same plot  over and over) descriptive(one of the key elements to a good story is that the reader can easily put him self into the story and seethe world around them)

Hate: No pacing (too many stories seem to jump a lot at a quick pace and readers can't even comprehend what is going on), Commonly used story arcs(too many, I died and became pony or i got sucked into a screen and now I'm in ponyville. Beginning middle and end all the same or similar story and really gets annoying but if you spice it up like The Lost Element or Five Scores divided by Four and get creative with your work then you will see an actual story  worth taking a look at)

I rarely read stories that include OCs as well. I know there are many stories featuring an OC, or even having an OC as the main character that I great, I just found way too many self-inserts and Mary Sues/Gary Stus during the course of time.

I personally enjoy darker takes on MLP, like about a post-apocalyptic Equestria, or even horror making one of the canon characters into the killer. That's of course just my weirdness, I guess.

Sad stories are really nice too, but if I need a happy story I definitely will choose something that explores the personality and character of a canon pony to a greater level. It's always interesting to look into the reasons and goals of a character, especially if this is done hidden in a well-written story.

• 2 weeks later...