Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Equestria Girls Worth Watching?

OmegaBeamOfficial

So believe it or not, I've never actually watched Equestria Girls (Well, OK, I watched the first one, but I barely remember anything about it as I've only seen it once and I've seen so much other stuff since I've sort of forgotten it.). But the point is, I wanna know if it and it's sequels are actually any good and if I should watch them. Looking at the trailers I honestly don't know what to think of it. Seriously, I'm not sure how to respond to the idea, it just seems so... Weird. Of course this is entirely subjective but I want other people's opinions to get a general idea of what people think. Oh, and no spoilers please. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

If you're interested then there's no harm in giving them a chance. Personally I preferred Friendship Games and Rainbow Rocks over the first one. Rainbow Rocks in particular is considered the best and for the most part seems well regarded in the fandom

• Brohoof 1

Trust me, you're better off watching Big Hero 6 for the nth time while waiting for the epic 2017 Pony movie. Great characters and a final battle with more action than the entire first Equestria Girls movie.

• Brohoof 1

Why not just watch it ? If it's not worth it, you can always stop. If you can't, that's because it is worth it. Practical, isn't it ? :P

True, I suppose it just takes some initiative. Thanks.

If you're interested then there's no harm in giving them a chance. Personally I preferred Friendship Games and Rainbow Rocks over the first one. Rainbow Rocks in particular is considered the best and for the most part seems well regarded in the fandom

Interesting. Thanks for the help.

Trust me, you're better off watching Big Hero 6 for the nth time while waiting for the epic 2017 Pony movie. Great characters and a final battle with more action than the entire first Equestria Girls movie.

There's gonna be 4th movie? Jeez, how far are they gonna go with this? And I always considered MLP more comedy than action basee, but I get your point.

The first Equestria Girls is alright, it's not great.  But each movie progressively got better in my opinion.  I think it's worth watching it.  

• Brohoof 2

You might as well. I personally enjoyed the movie, so for all we know you might as well. Not to mention, if you don't watch you won't really get to know Sunset Shimmer, who a lot of people seem to like. It can't hurt to give it a try.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I'd say it is. Not a perfect movie but not the worst thing in the world either, though the next two movies are much better.

Oh and the Cafeteria Song scene is still pretty hype, movie is definitely worth it for at least that. :D

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

You won't know until you check it out. I personally can't stand it.

For me, the idea that every girl wears a skirt (except like, one), that they pulled in so many cliches to fill the gaps and how cheesy some of the 'problems' the heroes have to face... it's not for me.

Just like the normal show, it was made to sell toys.

Edited by Jackie: sleepy mare
  • Brohoof 2

The first Equestria Girls is alright, it's not great. But each movie progressively got better in my opinion. I think it's worth watching it.

Sounds good. Usually most movie series I watch get worse with every sequel but not here I guess.

You might as well. I personally enjoyed the movie, so for all we know you might as well. Not to mention, if you don't watch you won't really get to know Sunset Shimmer, who a lot of people seem to like. It can't hurt to give it a try.

Sunset Shimmer seems interesting, though they don't reveal much on her in the trailers. I guess it wouldn't hurt to watch.

I watched them, they weren't AMAZINGLY GREAT imo, but they were pretty good. I liked Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games the most!

Oh trust me I'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything. I know to set the bar at a reasonable level. The common thoughts are that it's getting better with each sequel, so that's nice.

Yeah I'd say it is. Not a perfect movie but not the worst thing in the world either, though the next two movies are much better.

Oh and the Cafeteria Song scene is still pretty hype, movie is definitely worth it for at least that. :D

I think we can all agree the cafeteria song is awesome.

You won't know until you check it out. I personally can't stand it.

For me, the idea that every girl wears a skirt (except like, one), that they pulled in so many cliches to fill the gaps and how cheesy some of the 'problems' the heroes have to face... it's not for me.

Just like the normal show, it was made to sell toys.

Well, honestly I don't see how having clothing added is really a,problem. I doubt anyone would want them running around naked. My Little Pony, as good as it is, can be really cheesy at times so I'm prepared for that, I'm used to it. Though, I guess the sad fact is what you say is true, this whole franchise was just to sell toys.

• Brohoof 2

Well, honestly I don't see how having clothing added is really a,problem. I doubt anyone would want them running around naked. My Little Pony, as good as it is, can be really cheesy at times so I'm prepared for that, I'm used to it. Though, I guess the sad fact is what you say is true, this whole franchise was just to sell toys.

It's not that the clothing was added, it's that it's very stereotypical for girls to only wear skirts, especially in a school that doesn't have a set uniform and has a wide variety of female characters. Plus, if you look at promotional material for Equestria girls, the material shows some of the cast very VERY out of character. For a show that was meant to encourage girls to be anything they wanted, they didn't really set the bar that high.

In my opinion, it's a bad spinoff. They COULD'VE done well with it, but they decided to stick to a merchandise mindset and in my opinion, it was the wrong way to go.

My opinion.

• Brohoof 2

It's not that the clothing was added, it's that it's very stereotypical for girls to only wear skirts, especially in a school that doesn't have a set uniform and has a wide variety of female characters. Plus, if you look at promotional material for Equestria girls, the material shows some of the cast very VERY out of character. For a show that was meant to encourage girls to be anything they wanted, they didn't really set the bar that high.

In my opinion, it's a bad spinoff. They COULD'VE done well with it, but they decided to stick to a merchandise mindset and in my opinion, it was the wrong way to go.

My opinion.

True, I guess if you put it that way it sounds kinda... Sexist? Nah, I wouldn't go that far, but still, what exactly they're wearing doesn't bother me, it gets the job done it seems. As for the out of character stuff, I'll probably need to watch first to get an opinion on that.

• Brohoof 1

True, I guess if you put it that way it sounds kinda... Sexist? Nah, I wouldn't go that far, but still, what exactly they're wearing doesn't bother me, it gets the job done it seems. As for the out of character stuff, I'll probably need to watch first to get an opinion on that.

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as 'sexist', but it's still not the best idea.

And I'm not talking about the movies themselves, but the promos and everything that they had before the first movie came out, as well as the toys.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as 'sexist', but it's still not the best idea.

And I'm not talking about the movies themselves, but the promos and everything that they had before the first movie came out, as well as the toys.

Well, yeah, but if you're going by that logic the original shows promos do that too sometimes. I don't think the promotional material directly affects a TV show or movie.

Well, yeah, but if you're going by that logic the original shows promos do that too sometimes. I don't think the promotional material directly affects a TV show or movie.

But they haven't changed the promos all that much in between movies. And the toys are downright hideous. xD They almost rival the Bratz dolls. My daughter likes the movie, but not the toys.

Like I said, the movies are something else. Just not for me. I do hope you like them, tho. I would hate for you to go through them and end up not liking them.

• Brohoof 2

But they haven't changed the promos all that much in between movies. And the toys are downright hideous. xD They almost rival the Bratz dolls. My daughter likes the movie, but not the toys.

Like I said, the movies are something else. Just not for me. I do hope you like them, tho. I would hate for you to go through them and end up not liking them.

Oh, I don't blame ya there. I can't even stand the toys for the show, let alone the EG ones. Bratz is still worse though. But, thanks, I guess I'll just have to see what I think.

• Brohoof 1

I would definitely give it a shot. The animation, story and characters improve with each movie, and it's safe to assume it will never effect the show, since the writers have said the movies are not cannon within the show. There's nothing to lose.

I would definitely give it a shot. The animation, story and characters improve with each movie, and it's safe to assume it will never effect the show, since the writers have said the movies are not cannon within the show. There's nothing to lose.

• Brohoof 1

Idk, they were decent overall, I can't really recommend them. I was disgusted with the mere idea of humanizing MLP characters and the result looks horrible imo. Nonetheless, I managed to watch all 3 movies and they weren't that bad, drawing style aside...

• Brohoof 3

The first movie mostly sucks, but it's kind of necessary to sit through it to get to Rainbow Rocks, which I love to bits. If, after watching those two, you think that particular trade-off was worth it, then go on to Friendship Games. I didn't think that one was as good as RR, but I think you'll get a different answer from anyone you ask...  :o

• Brohoof 3

I would say that the movie franchise is worth watching.

The character interactions that I enjoy from the show are present in the movies and I find them to make for a fun hour to kill.

• Brohoof 1

It's well worth it. I'm so glad that I gave it a chance, and I absolutely adore Rainbow Rocks and have watched it about 6 times in the past year. 

• Brohoof 2

Sweet. Sounds good to me. I'd actually prefer if they were canon though.

Idk, they were decent overall, I can't really recommend them. I was disgusted with the mere idea of humanizing MLP characters and the result looks horrible imo. Nonetheless, I managed to watch all 3 movies and they weren't that bad, drawing style aside...

I don't really mind the human designs of the characters, besides that's supposed to be the movie's whole shtick, so if you don't like those you don't like the movie I guess.

The first movie mostly sucks, but it's kind of necessary to sit through it to get to Rainbow Rocks, which I love to bits. If, after watching those two, you think that particular trade-off was worth it, then go on to Friendship Games. I didn't think that one was as good as RR, but I think you'll get a different answer from anyone you ask...  :o

Sounds interesting. Believe it or not the other comments aren't that different. Most people seem to be mostly in favour of Rainbow Rocks.

I would say that the movie franchise is worth watching.

The character interactions that I enjoy from the show are present in the movies and I find them to make for a fun hour to kill.

Gotta love the dynamic between the characters in this show, if that's still there then it should be interesting at the least.

It's well worth it. I'm so glad that I gave it a chance, and I absolutely adore Rainbow Rocks and have watched it about 6 times in the past year. 

6 times? Wow, you've got to love that one. I mean, a lot of answers have already called out Rainbow Rocks as the best one, but this is a whole new level.

6 times? Wow, you've got to love that one. I mean, a lot of answers have already called out Rainbow Rocks as the best one, but this is a whole new level.

To be fair, I have a five year old, and we watch a movie as a family once a week. :P 

• Brohoof 1