Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Think The Movie Will Mark The End Of Friendship Is Magic?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Are you being sarcastic?

No?

I honestly think the show has gotten worse throughout seasons 5 and 6 and most cartoons don't recover from a drop like that. :/

• Brohoof 2

I remember somewhere that one of the developers said that the show would end with a 3 parter and that it would be "worth the wait".

So no, I can confidently say knowing that and a lot of other evidence that the show will guaranteed continue after the movie.  :twi:

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it will. The show has been declining in quality and viewership and I doubt G4 will last that much longer, let alone to the movie.

The way I see it, as long as the show's still entertaining, It'll most likely keep going. Yeah, there have been bad episodes before, (The Mysterious Mare-do-well for example, and that was back in Season 2!), but there have been plenty of good ones, even in the fifth Season to make up for it. (The Cutie Remark, Crusaders Of The Lost Mark.). Obviously I feel different to you about the later seasons, but I don't think the show's decreasing much in viewership. In fact (no offense) I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there.

I am curious to know how the views of the show have changed over the years, and if they have been declining. It would be kind of hard to find estimates for that though.

It's a sinking feeling, but I too have a lurking fear. I'm not sure if it'll end after the movie, but I have a feeling something significant will change. This is the sixth season and if everything goes as predicted, something may change. MLP:FiM changed drastically after Twilight grew wings, the third season. Assuming a pattern is taking place, this could either be the last of FiM, or something happens that flips the script. 

• Brohoof 3

No... 

Why do most of you think a big movie means the end?

We have 2 spinoff series, 

2 Comic seriese.

and hasbro has licensed A LOT of other companies too sell pony related things.

The series isn't going anywhere.

Heck it might as well be its own franchise.

• Brohoof 1

The way I see it, as long as the show's still entertaining, It'll most likely keep going. Yeah, there have been bad episodes before, (The Mysterious Mare-do-well for example, and that was back in Season 2!), but there have been plenty of good ones, even in the fifth Season to make up for it. (The Cutie Remark, Crusaders Of The Lost Mark.). Obviously I feel different to you about the later seasons, but I don't think the show's decreasing much in viewership. In fact (no offense) I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there.

People irl just don't care about it anymore. To be frank, I think Season 6 has been shit, aside from Stranger than Fan Fiction which was surprisingly really good. Maybe it's a sign that the season will improve, but it's not a good sign for a season to have only one entertaining episode out of thirteen aired.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

People irl just don't care about it anymore. To be frank, I think Season 6 has been shit, aside from Stranger than Fan Fiction which was surprisingly really good. Maybe it's a sign that the season will improve, but it's not a good sign for a season to have only one entertaining episode out of thirteen aired.

Well, I've not seen Season 6 yet so I can't really say anything about it (international issues). So, I'm not gonna say whether I agree with you because I haven't even seen the content, but in all honesty, the name stranger than fan fiction sounds like an episode that'll make fun of the people who write fan fiction for the show, which Isn't OK in my book. Unless It's some kind of tribute to fan fiction writers (like how Slice Of Life was a tribute to the background characters) then I don't see it being much. This is all mere speculation from me though.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial

In the past, any sort of movie after a long run time generally marks the end for a lot of cartoons. Ed, Edd & Eddy and KND to give a couple examples. But, think of this. With MLP, we've already had three feature length films (just not theatrical releases) along with a fourth on it's way. Also, who runs FiM? Hasbro. What is Hasbro known for? Wanting money. Why do you think Transformers has been going on for so long? They don't care if they have to hire a completely new writing staff, though knowing that will generally kill the fandom, if they can make money off it, they will. 

For FiM specifically, I think it comes down to if the staff running it right now, wants to continue on. And with such a big fanbase and just how fun things seem to be for the staff, I personally don't think this theatrical film will mark the end. It's more like a milestone for the show. Like Pokemon. It went for quite a few years before getting it's first theatrical film release and it definitely did not die. Even if at times, it felt like  it should have.

• Brohoof 1

In the past, any sort of movie after a long run time generally marks the end for a lot of cartoons. Ed, Edd & Eddy and KND to give a couple examples. But, think of this. With MLP, we've already had three feature length films (just not theatrical releases) along with a fourth on it's way. Also, who runs FiM? Hasbro. What is Hasbro known for? Wanting money. Why do you think Transformers has been going on for so long? They don't care if they have to hire a completely new writing staff, though knowing that will generally kill the fandom, if they can make money off it, they will. 

For FiM specifically, I think it comes down to if the staff running it right now, wants to continue on. And with such a big fanbase and just how fun things seem to be for the staff, I personally don't think this theatrical film will mark the end. It's more like a milestone for the show. Like Pokemon. It went for quite a few years before getting it's first theatrical film release and it definitely did not die. Even if at times, it felt like  it should have.

Equestria Girls didn't really count as a Friendship Is Magic movie series though, it was more of a spin-off movie series with little relation to the show at all. Yeah, there are references to it here and there, and there are moments in the first two movies with FIM connections, but that doesn't make it a FIM movie. It just makes it a G4 movie, and who says G4 has to be limited to just FIM. The irony with the Transformers thing is whereas MLP wasn't hugely popular until now, Transformers USED to be popular but Isn't very well known anymore. Hasbro will keep milking it for all that It's worth with new TV series that don't compare to the original, live action movies which are mediocre at best and atrocious at worst, and of course, more toys. I find it a miracle that MLP even LASTED through 3 generations, though thankfully it did, we wouldn't have FIM if it didn't. Also, a new writing staff wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as long as they get a GOOD one, and even some of the writers now aren't that great.

I guess you're right about it being the staff's call whether they wanna keep going or not. And things are looking pretty bright right now, but I'm just concerned is all. Pokemon Isn't really a fair comparison, since Pokemon is a massive media franchise with a series of video games, a long running anime and movie series and merchandise supported by Nintendo, a REALLY big company. MLP: FIM on  the other hand just has the TV show and a 4 movie spinoff series, and as well known as Hasbro is, they just aren't as big as Nintendo. Even the old Transformers didn't last that long when it was popular. Sorry if I'm coming off arrogant, what I'm basically saying is we can hope for some more time, but I don't think we can keep G4 going for 20 years.

• Brohoof 1

It probably won't go for 20 years, no. There's just so much in the way of friendship a pony could learn, before it starts becoming rehashes of itself. We'll probably get another MLP show by the time that happens, anyway. Maybe a spin-off with the CMC (which I would not complain about, if that happens) on an endless journey through Equestria to live up to their still new cutie marks.

But, what I am saying is (with probably not accurate evidence and other things to back up my thoughts) I don't think the movie will end it. Just a milestone for the show. And as long as the cast and staff really enjoy what they do, they won't stop. And as long as we enjoy it, they won't stop, lol.

• Brohoof 1

It probably won't go for 20 years, no. There's just so much in the way of friendship a pony could learn, before it starts becoming rehashes of itself. We'll probably get another MLP show by the time that happens, anyway. Maybe a spin-off with the CMC (which I would not complain about, if that happens) on an endless journey through Equestria to live up to their still new cutie marks.

But, what I am saying is (with probably not accurate evidence and other things to back up my thoughts) I don't think the movie will end it. Just a milestone for the show. And as long as the cast and staff really enjoy what they do, they won't stop. And as long as we enjoy it, they won't stop, lol.

Well, fair enough. I hope when we do get G5 It'll live up to G4 standards. And yeah, I'd like to see the CMC's in their own series, maybe something where they help others get their cutie marks.

• Brohoof 1

Um, sorry for asking but... How, exactly is this making you depressed?

i freaking love MLP its my fave show and thinking about it ending puts me down a little is all

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sorry, I guess this post must be pretty pessimistic huh? Well, whatever happens, Friendship will always be magic :fluttershy:

i guess so and absolutely /), but i have high expectations on a season seven, yea it might be a bit cliche what with.. new enemy that threatens equestria.... enemy defeated. new enemy that threatens equestria.... enemy defeated. new enemy that threatens equestria.... enemy defeated. and so on, but im willing to look past all that :P i mean the show is directed at an audience that isn't even old enough to appreciate how in depth it is, so why should i be so critical about it.

Edited by Ju88snow
  • Brohoof 2

i guess so and absolutely /), but i have high expectations on a season seven, yea it might be a bit cliche what with.. new enemy that threatens equestria.... enemy defeated. new enemy that threatens equestria.... enemy defeated. new enemy that threatens equestria.... enemy defeated. and so on, but im willing to look past all that :P i mean the show is directed at an audience that isn't even old enough to appreciate how in depth it is, so why should i be so critical about it.

More true words have never been spoken my friend. And I don't mind the enemy defeated loop honestly, as long as they keep the villains themselves interesting, give a GOOD reason for their descent to evil (I'm looking at you, Starlight.) and involve something like the Season 4 underlying story arc. That kept it interesting and It's a shame they haven't made an approach like that since.

• Brohoof 1

i mean.. after tirek stole all the magic in equestria i thought you coudn't get a more powerful villan but boy i was wrong... the whole starlight thing blew all my doubts out of the water god only knows if they can one up manipulation of time
also.. we haven't learnt anything about equestrias past :C i mean celestia and luna are over 1000 years old... wut happend back then and during celestias solo rule id like to know lol

• Brohoof 2

i mean.. after tirek stole all the magic in equestria i thought you coudn't get a more powerful villan but boy i was wrong... the whole starlight thing blew all my doubts out of the water god only knows if they can one up manipulation of time

also.. we haven't learnt anything about equestrias past :C i mean celestia and luna are over 1000 years old... wut happend back then and during celestias solo rule id like to know lol

Actually, we have learned about Equestria's past, even before Celestia's rule. Remember the Hearth's Warming Eve story?

Actually, we have learned about Equestria's past, even before Celestia's rule. Remember the Hearth's Warming Eve story?

yea but you know what i mean, the whole star swirl thing, how celestia coped with losing her sister and the royal duty's she had to do all by herself ect

• Brohoof 2

yea but you know what i mean, the whole star swirl thing, how celestia coped with losing her sister and the royal duty's she had to do all by herself ect

True, I guess It'd be cool have some kind of flashback of Celestia's solo rule.

• Brohoof 2