Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Worst types of achievements/trophies in games

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Ever since the advent of achievements with the Xbox 360, they have become ingrained into gaming, minus Nintendo that is. Playstation later introduced Trophies as their version and Steam has its own achievement system as well. This is a system loved or hated by many, I personally really like the system overall.

However, what I don't like are certain types achievements or trophies that end up being a negative experience in trying to get. Whether it be because the achievement is frustrating beyond belief, extremely tedious  or it goes against the base game entirely, there could be a number of worst reasons.

So with that, what kinds of achievements or trophies do you despise? If you want you can provide an example of such a thing.

I personally cannot stand specific multiplayer achievements. That being, achievements in multiplayer that are not stat based, but rather specific things that you must do in multiplayer to get. I hate these because 1. Multiplayer is a limited playfield already and 2. These achievements are usually very frustrating and break the flow of the game.

• Brohoof 1

Slot machine achievements. Obviously they're pure luck and amount to nothing more than funneling money into them until the RNG takes pity and finally spits out a row of triple-sevens.

And, yeah, multiplayer trophies suck since I'm purely a single player gamer. The last trophy I need in Darksiders 2 is the worst because all it amounts to is "Trade an item with another player." That's it, no skill or even luck, just "Do you know someone else who plays this game? No? Well, too bad! No Platinum for you!" 

Multiplayer and certain single player achievements, namely the ones that pretty much go "Beat the Game and you unlock 90% of the achievements!" it just comes off as kinda lazy

(edited)

How about the one from that zombie game with that anime girl as a hero? Candy Zombie Chainsaw Lollipop or whatever it was?

You know the one. The achievement where you look up the girl's skirt.

Edit: Pretty sure it's Lollipop Chainsaw.

Edit 2: It is, and the achievement is called I Swear! I Did It By Mistake!

I don't actually have the game, but I remember it from some top ten video about embarrassing achievements.

Edited by Eazyfries
  • Brohoof 1

Besides obvious multi-player or grindy ones, I don't like the secret achievements that aren't story related. So I have to look through the secret achievements, which include story ones, just to see what I have to do.

Seriously. GOW:Gunslinger had a secret achievement for shooting a shielder through the hole in their shield. And of course the other 6ish secret cheevos were story-based. Why?

How about the one from that zombie game with that anime girl as a hero? Candy Zombie Chainsaw Lollipop or whatever it was?

I don't actually have the game, but I remember it from some top ten video about embarrassing achievements.

That reminds me of an achievement in MGS2HD called "Snake Beater", where you have to look at a picture of a pin-up and then call Otacon while looking at it....and yeah, you can figure it out from there  :awuh:

• Brohoof 3

Online trophies that require absurd level progression or kill numbers that are required to get the Platinum. Listen game designers, I'm not going to live in your game. 

An achievement for starting the game.

And this is the other one I roll my eyes at. I mean, I will take the freebie and all, but when I saw that I actually wondered why it was put there. There should be some skill connected to achievements and trophies. 

Ding 

WATCHED OPENING CREDITS TROPHY POPS. 

>_>

"Call of Juarez: the Cartel" has got to have one of the worst.

It's an achievement for killing lots of black people.

(source)

in the level "gang bang", you go to a part of LA to incite some gang violence, and you get the achievement if you kill at least 40 people.  

this is the only level in the game where every bad guy is black.

(sigh)

Specially if said person is a brony :dash:.

Well, I don't care for that system myself, so they hardly bother me. I sometimes get out of my way to get a trophy when I feel like: "Why not?", as long as they are not ridiculous. I mean, I don't have a single platinum trophy, but that's because some achievements are beyond ridiculous, like passing through a difficult area at the highest difficulty without getting hit, not miss a single shot, this one at RE5 where you have to do a head shot to an enemy while in the air, or this one at MK where you have to use for 24hrs total EACH CHARACTER  

• 3 weeks later...

Ones that don't unlock despite doing the requirement to unlock it.

Other than that I'm not too sure I've had problems with achievements being too hard, but the struggle is half the fun. I'm a huge achievement hunter on Xbox Live, and World of Warcraft so I've seen it all.

Though probably ones that annoy me the most are ones you can only unlock during a specific time of the year, and only get a few days to do it. This is very common in World of Warcraft as it has similar holidays to real life ones, and you have to wait till that holiday comes to hunt those achievements.

OH, and achievements you can only unlock during a specific part of the game, and if you miss them you need to hope you have a spare save, or you gotta restart the entire game for 100%... this happened to me in a game called Murdered: Soul Suspect. On my first playthough I nearly had 100%, but I couldn't go back and get the THREE collectables I was missing... so I finished at 86%, and missed out on three achievements... Never in my gaming days had I been so pissed at myself.

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/Achievements/Xbox/1397819422

An achievement for starting the game. Like for Batman: Arkham City. You get an achievement, for putting on the bat suit. 

Really?

Which is especially annoying for people who don't like to have certain games on their achievement list. You only get the option to remove a game from the list if there are no achievements. When you get one for starting the game you're basically stuck with it forever even if you never play any more of the game.

"complete the campaign on Normal or Hard"

And you find this out after completing it on Easy -_-

Well one should never get an achievement for beating a game on the easiest difficulty anyway. It's not an achievement that way.

"Call of Juarez: the Cartel" has got to have one of the worst.

It's an achievement for killing lots of black people.

(source)

in the level "gang bang", you go to a part of LA to incite some gang violence, and you get the achievement if you kill at least 40 people.  

this is the only level in the game where every bad guy is black.

(sigh)

So it's an achievement where you just happen to kill black people? Not specifically "kill 40 black people"? That's an absurd thing to get upset about. You'd get the same achievement in other games for killing so many enemies in a certain amount of time and the entire cast is one ethnicity. It's not racism. It's pure, unadulterated coincidence.

I know a game with 7 achievements saying "complete this level 1000 times" and for one of them you need to play 10 hours a day for 10 days or even more. Of course, some people somehow have those 7 achievements.

outside xbox might of been the video btw 

• Brohoof 1

The nigh impossible ones. Like, the "Flawless Raider" achievement for Destiny...which requires you to do a complete Raid with 5 other people and have no one at all die...not once. The Raids in Destiny are tedious as is without adding that to the equation. Basically all 6 people have to play it perfectly with no screw ups...as if you screw up, generally it means a team wipe and you restart at last checkpoint.

I also hate Multiplayer ones or ones that require having a firned that also plays the game....I've got 3 on Hitman: Absolution that I'll probably never get as I need a friend that plays it.

An achievement for starting the game. Like for Batman: Arkham City. You get an achievement, for putting on the bat suit. 

Really?

Think that's bad? There was achievement for Jet Set Radio on Steam for just clicking "play" to launch the game.

• Brohoof 2

I can't believe no one (including myself :P ) mentioned that one multiplayer achievement in Brutal Legend. The requirement is literally to play against someone who has the achievement to get it. Problem being that Brutal Legend wasn't as popular as they wanted it to be and the multiplayer was dead a year after the game came out.

I know a game with 7 achievements saying "complete this level 1000 times" and for one of them you need to play 10 hours a day for 10 days or even more. Of course, some people somehow have those 7 achievements.

I know a game kinda like that. Fracture requires you to play something like two thousand matches in each multiplayer online mode or something. They severely overestimated how popular the game was gonna be.

Well generally, I don't like it when games give you achievements every five minutes unless you're just that good, but even then.

So it's an achievement where you just happen to kill black people? Not specifically "kill 40 black people"? That's an absurd thing to get upset about. You'd get the same achievement in other games for killing so many enemies in a certain amount of time and the entire cast is one ethnicity. It's not racism. It's pure, unadulterated coincidence.

It's poor design choice, is what it is.  Good game designers pay close attention to what the mechanics of a game can mean.  The only "kill x enemies in a certain level" in the entire game being achievable only in a level were the enemies are only one race in a game were real life minorities are large part of the theme doesn't raise positive implications.

Not to mention that the game's setting is Mexico.  More specifically, in the midst of a very bloody, aimless, and ongoing conflict.

Edited by Light of Night

Well generally, I don't like it when games give you achievements every five minutes unless you're just that good, but even then.

It's poor design choice, is what it is.  Good game designers pay close attention to what the mechanics of a game can mean.  The only "kill x enemies in a certain level" in the entire game being achievable only in a level were the enemies are only one race in a game were minorities are large part of the theme doesn't raise positive implications.

So you should only ever kill demons or white people even if there's no context for it? :P

Seriously. The developers probably didn't put any sort of racist thought into it. More than likely the achievement exists because of a gameplay mechanic, not story or location context. I haven't played the game for myself but it's ridiculous that every game that has you killing a large number of an ethnicity that's not the same as the main character is automatically considered bad.

White guys should only kill white guys, black guys should only kill black guys unless there's an even mix of it? People who call out "bad design" or racism on this sort of thing are putting entirely too much thought into it. There is no hidden meaning.

• Brohoof 1

So you should only ever kill demons or white people even if there's no context for it?

Nope, you shouldn't.  If it were up to me, I would've put in multiple "kill x enemies in a certain level" achievements (not for the same level, that is).  It would mitigate it at least.

But even a racist developer would have to keep in mind how people might react to a mechanic or other.  It's not that it was intentional.  They just didn't care.  

You only get the option to remove a game from the list if there are no achievements

And wait, it's really like that?  Why? 

The compensation prize achievements aka you suck so here's our pity.

The don't play the game the right way achievements. Saw some youtuber looking through the trophy list of a game he was trying and one of the trophies required you to be lapped and finish last in a race. 

Story achievements for every single insignificant part of the story.

I'm sure it's been stated before, but I cannot reiterate how much I dislike achievements that are acquired by completing each chapter of a game. I find them redundant. The one at the end of a game are totally fine, but I really dislike getting ones at the end of each chapter or something.

Nope, you shouldn't.  If it were up to me, I would've put in multiple "kill x enemies in a certain level" achievements (not for the same level, that is).  It would mitigate it at least.

But even a racist developer would have to keep in mind how people might react to a mechanic or other.  It's not that it was intentional.  They just didn't care.

I mean, they could have added other achievements like it for sure, but the fact that it is only in one level kind of implies that the level in question has particularly strict requirements for completion compared to every other level in the game. The fact that it's all black people is irrelevant. If you look up the mission in question on Youtube it's not hard to imagine the main character just happened to need to be in a neighborhood that has a large black presence. This is a real thing that happens in large cities like L.A. You can also run into large neighborhoods of Samoans, White people and Mexicans. They could have picked any one of these for a city like L.A.

And wait, it's really like that?  Why?

Most likely because it would mess with the structure of point scores in the achievement and profile databases if they let people remove games from their profiles.

Trophies on Playstation systems would be even harder since they have a less straightforward algorithm for how your trophies affect your profile ranking.

• Brohoof 1