Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology How long can you last without internet?

ManaMinori

Without internet? I can manage that, I have plenty of games to play and plenty of ideas to draw, so I might as well get to 'em until it comes back. :P The major downside for me would be that I wouldn't be able to talk with my friends for that time.

Now if you were to say how long I can last without power...that's a whole different story. :(

I have made it for 3 weeks without internet.  As long as I have people to talk with and stuff to do then I'm good.  I think I could only handle a week without internet if I was stuck at home before I start to get really bored.

• Brohoof 1

A life without internet?  To the last decade of consoles(and before)! If I didn't have power, I'd run my handhelds dry, once that's done. I would go drawing and if I really get in to it. I can do nothing but draw. Sometimes I won't even eat cause I'm that absorbed in this thing that I'm forming infront of me from the dark place that is known as my imagination. How ever if I run out of pencil/ink/led. Then I may indeed do like Fluttershy suggests and panic.

I would give myself about ten minuets.  Actually, make that five. 

Joking aside, I could probably go a couple of weeks and have but I won't like it.  The level of connection and near instantaneous information retrieval is essential, not just to my but also to the progress of man kind as a whole.  Going without it is like going for a walk without socks and shoes.  Sure you could do it but why would you want to?

(edited)

I could go forever without it. If it stopped existing, I'd be fine. It would take some readjustment but that's just natural with anything that becomes a habit or daily fixture. I would rather it just be a minor part of life like my toaster or key finder, rather than the all-consuming monster it often is. 

Granted, I use it fairly often and have become addicted to certain parts of it (these forums for example) but I could just as easily get un-addicted and get back to living outside the house in the sunlight, even if my skin is unaccustomed to the light and my lungs are a stranger to fresh air. I would endeavor to persevere!  :proud:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Permanently. I'm serious. I remember no internet ... and unless I am mistaken, I lived. Yep, just checked ... I lived. 

I also don't have the functional need to use it ... my kids on the other hand would likely go Lord of the Flies. 

• Brohoof 1

I can last a good day, and a half without going on, I feel a bit at unease, or bored at that point. Once I hit two, or three days withdraw kicks in. Though if I have the internet taken from me because of reason then I can last about two hours before the withdraw kicks in. My addiction to internet isn't severe though, and despite the common symptoms of internet withdraw at day five, or six I feel normal again so long as I don't think about it.

I can not last long at all. Once we got me a computer in my room and high-speed internet I was instantly addicted. Then once we got internet on our phones, the addiction came everywhere... Especially now that I have an iPhone (I say "now", but it's been a few years since I got my first one lol).

We had a stupid random July storm that knocked out our power a couple of days ago. It was out for over 24 hours. I was glued to my phone the whole time. =P

• 5 years later...

Depends on where I am and what I am doing. 

My work need internet, so there would be a problem if I had to work. However, when I was on vacation in Wolsztyn, while there was internet connection, I barely used the PC, so it would not have been that bad if there was no internet for the week I was there.

Anyway, at home, I have two internet connections in case one goes down. There was a time when I moved and did not have any connection for a few months and then only got dial-up for a while.

Last time we lost internet I lasted about three weeks before I started losing my mind too, ha.

Since then I've gone to great lengths to save things I enjoy locally whenever possible, especially after I realised I had a whole extra empty hard drive just lying around in my closet that I hadn't yet used for some reason. So now I reckon I could go a LOT longer.

Maybe even a whole month.

• 1 month later...